Sign in to follow this  
cougars_119

High Schools picking up wrestling.

i heard butler is going to get a team again is this true

yeah, i heard about that too. personally i hope they do. i think if we could get all the JCPS's to start teams it will encourage other schools in the state to pick up the sport.

Unfortunately for Male HS, as long as Bob Redman is coaching football there will never be a wrestling program.  All you need to do is go back and look some of his other stops...Ballard and Waggener.  I'm not bashing the guy, but that's just the way it is where he has coached football. 

well, if thats the case, wait till he retires, then petition the school to start a team. he's getting pretty close to retirement age, isn't he?

My son wrestled for a state champion team in St. Louis in the mid-90's.  They had a state champion heavyweight named Dan Alexander who was offered a full scholarship to play football at Nebraska, and eventually became an all-Big Twelve running back (later played for the Jaguars in the NFL).  Tom Osborne, then coach of the Nebraska Cornhuskers football team (when they were good), annually attended the Missouri state wrestling championships scouting for and recruiting football players.  Osborne felt that wrestling skills equated to better blocking and tackling skills, and that really good "big men" who wrestled picked up his fundamentals much faster.  Tell me that a few years of experience on a mat practicing takedowns wouldn't improve a linebacker's ability to stick a running back in the open field!  The coaches of many outstanding football programs in schools with wrestling programs encourage their kids to wrestle (at least in other states).

Another school to add to this list would be Bullitt East.  My wife teaches there.  They are usually very competitive in most sports and county rival Bullitt Central already has a program.  They county is right next to Jefferson so they wouldn't have to travel far for tournaments and duals/tris.  I have spoken to the AD about it and he's looking into it.  They wouldn't have a problem finding a coach as I have already said I would take the job.

Another school to add to this list would be Bullitt East.  My wife teaches there.  They are usually very competitive in most sports and county rival Bullitt Central already has a program.  They county is right next to Jefferson so they wouldn't have to travel far for tournaments and duals/tris.  I have spoken to the AD about it and he's looking into it.  They wouldn't have a problem finding a coach as I have already said I would take the job.

I've heard that Bullitt East is looking for a coach so they can start a program. From what i understand, that is all that is holding up them having a team.

I've heard that Bullitt East is looking for a coach so they can start a program. From what i understand, that is all that is holding up them having a team.

They are hoping to start a program soon, but finding a coach isn't the issue.  I know both their ADs well.  There are some other "adminstrative" issues that need to be ironed out first.

Yes it does which is why most college football coaches watch for wrestling skills and offer better scholarships to athletes that do both.  The problem is that some football coaches believe they can better enhance their athletes in the off season.  They beleive that weight loss is a bad thing (like they don't gain it back plus a lot more) and that muscular endurance is not necessary only power training.  Oh well, it is the loss of both programs and the athletes. 

You know a lot of facts are made up on the spot.  Where do you get your "facts" from.  Do you have anything to back up your remark that "most college football coaches watch...etc."

One quick example from here in KY:  Whiting from Trinity.  Ask hiim about the Football scouts in the stands when Trinity wrestled Jeffersonville.

But anyway, disbelieve all you want and spread it to your football program.  Have fun with that.

Wrestling Lays a Foundation for Other Sports

by Ben Peterson w/Ethan Bosch

Each fall, many young athletes debate whether or not to go out for wrestling.

Football and soccer players have had a full fall season of practices and games. Some are excited about their prospects for the next season in that sport, so they think that lifting specifically for that sport would help them the most. Others are anticipating a spring sport, like baseball. If either of these is your case, let me urge you to consider the following benefits of wrestling for your other sport(s):

1) Wrestling is built on position. A good stance is vital to most any sports activity. Football

i did some research on the KHSAA web site, and here are some dropped programs i found:

belfry- 1 ind. state champ

frankfort-1 ind. state champ

owensboro-1 ind. state champ

boyle co.-1 ind. state champ

ballard- 7 ind. state champs

trigg co.-1 ind. state champ

they also listed east carter,pike county central,owensboro catholic,campbellsville,henderson county,pike county, prestonburg, and oneida baptist.

i did some research on the KHSAA web site, and here are some dropped programs i found:

belfry- 1 ind. state champ

frankfort-1 ind. state champ

owensboro-1 ind. state champ

boyle co.-1 ind. state champ

ballard- 7 ind. state champs

trigg co.-1 ind. state champ

they also listed east carter,pike county central,owensboro catholic,campbellsville,henderson county,pike county, prestonburg, and oneida baptist.

East Carter, Pike Central, Prestonsburg, and Oneida Baptist were all in Region 8.  Sad to see one region lose four teams!

here are some other schools to petition about starting teams:

somerset: a long-time state powerhouse in most sports.

mercer county: yearly state contenders in football.

adair county: the home site of the up-and-coming lindsey wilson college NAIA wrestling program.

pulaski southwestern-a regional football contender yearly.

mayfield-a small school football power.

pulaski county:yearly class 5-A football power.

bell county: defending class 4-A football state champions could become a highly competive wrestling school within a few years of starting a team.

paris:a class A football powerhouse yearly, could become a small school wrestling powerhouse too.

taylor county:located in same town as the campbellsville university tigers.

christian academy of louisville: has highly competitive athletics program, state powerhouse in track and cross country.

williamsburg:home town of the university of the cumberlands, a NAIA powerhouse and multi-time womens national champions.

now that i think about it, schools like taylor county, corbin, campbellsville, williamsburg, and adair county, who have local college teams, are most likely to be some of the newest teams we'll see in the next few years. surely some former college wrestlers with teaching majors from one of our states current college teams will apply for a teaching job at these schools, and they'll ask if the can start a wrestling team. and, if georgetown, union, and pikeville start teams, we might start to get schools like scott county, boyd county, somerset, hazard, paintsville, southwestern, pulaski county, bell county,and the schools in pike county all starting teams.

What about Butler? A kid that plays football there told me they were trying to get a team started.  It wouldn't take them long to be competitive in Region 5.

I just found out that a new high school is opening in shelby county in fall 2010. I belive it's called Martha Layne Collins High School. This might be a good school for trying to start a new team at.

I heard Hazard High School was starting a team this season.

So I got up with the coach Sam Hall and they are starting one this year.

That is awesome news! any word on whos the coach?

What high schools would you like to see add a wrestling program.

I think highlands would have a great wrestling team! its an all boy school and their football team is always the top dog every year and football and wrestling work great together. What do you all think?

Highlands is not an all boy school