Sign in to follow this  
cougars_119

High Schools picking up wrestling.

From what I have heard you will most likely not see Scott co. start a wrestling team as long as the football coach is the athletic director. Apparently he's anti-wrestling.

That's sad. Our old athletic director Jim Perrin actually started the wrestling program at County and put 30 some odd years into it. I only wrestled one year (7th grade) under him but he was pretty cool. Our newest athletic director just bought us two new flexi roll mats last year because our mats from before that were from the 70's  :-P

From what I have heard you will most likely not see Scott co. start a wrestling team as long as the football coach is the athletic director. Apparently he's anti-wrestling.

Other than the losing weight aspect I have never understood this reasoning.  Wrestling can only help you become a better football player.

Well we have had a few football players not wrestle for a multitude of reasons

Commonly stated is that they think they are going to have to lose muscle mass, the ones that understand weight cutting dont want to bother

Others dont like the whole wrestling other guys thing (that one makes me laugh)

A few want to have breaks from football before practices start

And a couple are afraid of injuries

most fo the football players i talk to say they dont want to rub all over other guys in spandx.

which is stupid because the only thing our football players do in the locker room in wrestle each other.

and football pants are spandx.  makes no sense.

The one excuse that kills me it when they say

"I don't want to wresle because if someone slams me or something I will punch them in the mouth or get into a fight".

This makes absolutely no sense to me.  I ask them. "do you get into a fight when someone knock you on your rear end or tackles you extremely hard".  They usually say something like "thats different" or something of that nature. 

Worst excuse of all time.

most fo the football players i talk to say they dont want to rub all over other guys in spandx.

which is stupid because the only thing our football players do in the locker room in wrestle each other.

and football pants are spandx.  makes no sense.

"Word on the street" concerning Conner----and I am just a dad of a grade schooler so I don't have a dog in the fight----is that the Conner football coach told his players to make a choice between wrestling and football, that as long as he was the coach they were not allowed to do both.  I do not understand this.  Wouldn't wrestling only help your football skills (tackling, body control, off-season fitness, etc.)?

Yes it does which is why most college football coaches watch for wrestling skills and offer better scholarships to athletes that do both.  The problem is that some football coaches believe they can better enhance their athletes in the off season.  They beleive that weight loss is a bad thing (like they don't gain it back plus a lot more) and that muscular endurance is not necessary only power training.  Oh well, it is the loss of both programs and the athletes. 

Yes it does which is why most college football coaches watch for wrestling skills and offer better scholarships to athletes that do both.  The problem is that some football coaches believe they can better enhance their athletes in the off season.  They beleive that weight loss is a bad thing (like they don't gain it back plus a lot more) and that muscular endurance is not necessary only power training.  Oh well, it is the loss of both programs and the athletes. 

I have a friend who plays football and hes about 6'3 240lbs and benches 350 and only a sophmore. he already has D1 schools sending him letters and is one of the hardest working players on the football team and iv been trying to get him to wrestle and he said he wants to but wont because of that very reason. i told him he is already a heavyweight and wont have to lose any weight and the only weight that he will lose is fat cause of the intense workouts. I really want to get this kid out next year cause he can do really well.

Thanks Dinubus-----It seemed to me that it would be beneficial, glad to hear that someone who knows what they are talking about confirms it.  Heck, the entire reason my son got into wrestling was because his youth football coach (son is only 9 yrs old) suggested that he wrestle to enhance his football skills.  Where Conner HS is concerned this is especially sad, because they have several kids who either are, or could be, pretty darn good wrestlers if not for the football coach making them choose.  Like you said, it is a loss for the program and the kids........

I have a friend who plays football and hes about 6'3 240lbs and benches 350 and only a sophmore. he already has D1 schools sending him letters and is one of the hardest working players on the football team and iv been trying to get him to wrestle and he said he wants to but wont because of that very reason. i told him he is already a heavyweight and wont have to lose any weight and the only weight that he will lose is fat cause of the intense workouts. I really want to get this kid out next year cause he can do really well.

Hey Cougars 119------assuming "Cougars" means from Conner HS.......(if not please disregard).....is is true about the football coach not allowing his players to wrestle?

Hey Cougars 119------assuming "Cougars" means from Conner HS.......(if not please disregard).....is is true about the football coach not allowing his players to wrestle?

im not from conner im from letcher country central.

Join the club.  When Jim Trosper was at Holmes I heard that he wanted his football kids in the weigh lifting room and not the wrestling room.  I was also told by my athletic director a similar thing.  He said to me if you get to many football players out then they won't have a weigh lifting program.  (It was the 1st negative thing I had heard from our athletic director about wrestling in the 9 years I was there.)  This is one of the reasons I finally resigned from Holmes as the head coach.  This was even after 2 of my wrestlers went out for the football team their senior year and started (This was after much encouragement on my part)

As for Trosper he was a Boone County graduate.  When he played football for Boone County the Head football coach said the same thing to his players.  It killed the team at Boone County.

I still find it hard to believe that such a statement would ever be tolerated at Conner.  If you remember Stellman is still the athletic director at Conner.  Not only was the one of the assistant wrestling coaches at Conner, but is one of Wayne Badida's buddies.  With the wrestling tradition at Conner, I wouldn't count on this stying true for long, if the word gets out about this statement. 

I believe the new head football coach at Trigg (Chris Collins) will be in support of the high school picking up the sport.  He didn't overly support the wrestling at Atherton where he coached this year, but he wasn't negative on it either.

When Stellmen was still the head coach he encouraged a lot of football players to wrestle and many of them turned out pretty well. The deal is with Trosper is he believes that football players are made not only in the summer months, but the training period begins the day football is over. Now I don't see anything wrong with that way of thinking cause I believe the same is true for every sport. It's not Trosper, I think it is his staff. No one on his staff gives a darn about wrestling at Conner. Badida is spinning his wheels trying to get kids out cause Trosper's boys will not support the program.

If I've said this once I've said this a million times.

Football coaches (not all, but a huge majority) are extremely fanatical and over the top.  They believe that they must practice every day 365 days a year to become successful.  Unfortunately this is seeping into other sports also. 

If our HIGH SCHOOL coaches don't watch what they are doing they are going to kill all sports in high school except the big three.  Football in Fall, Basketball in Winter, and Baseball in Spring. (I'm only talking about boy specific sports).  Many of these coaches believe that their players should only play one sport and the rest be darned.  High school athletes/kids need to be well rounded.  Only participating in one sport in not allowing them to explore other possibilities.  This also includes academic activities such as Academic team, Math team, Debate Team and I'm sure there are many others.  Coaches need to realize that there is more than one activity going on at there school. 

One of the greatest things that I heard was from a Highlands football coach.  During a football meeting one of his players asked.  "What if I am playing another sport and can't make weight lifting?  Will that hurt my chances of playing?"  He said "If you are playing another sport continue to do so."  "I encourage you to play other sports."  This next statement was what I found great.  He said "If you play another sport and that sport becomes successfully then all it will inspire other sports to become successful.  I encourage you to go to other sporting events as spectators and support your school, they in turn will support your team (football) when you are playing."  "Then all the sports at our school will become much more competitive."  He pointed out the sports at Highlands as an example of this. 

Maybe this is not entirely true but he has the right idea.

OK someone help me down from my soap box.  :-D

Our Football team is usually encouraged to join other sports. They are often the star players on the other teams as well. One of the reason may be is the fact that almost all of the sports are coached by assistants from the football team. But we are probably a special case cause at least one of the coaches for each team has to be a DODEA Employee. Which is also how the wrestling team ended up with Mrs. Gusse

I have to say its true at Conner about the football program not supporting the Wrestling Program.

It was put out as..."I will not say you can not but I will not support it if you wrestle"

With the youth program coming along.....half of there squad play on the same team in BCFL...sooo something will have to give eventually if they stick with it.

It is a VERY VERY frustrating situation!!

sorry to whoever is involved with Connor football and no disrespect intended but I didn't even know Connor had a football team.  That being said if they do it is probably not very successful.  So why would the football coaches word mean anything.  It is very different than say Highlands football coach saying don't play.  I would think that would be hard to ignore.  I personally have yet to see any sport that wrestling would hurt, except basketball.  As big a jackass as our football coach was, he told his lineman to go wrestle or don't plan on playing football next year.  That was a little over thetop but at least he saw the value in wrestling.  I would think the kids parents at Connor would step up but apathy breeds complacency........

If this is true about Conner football, the coach needs to look to the school's past.  A large part of their wrestling team has always been football players.  In the very successful 80's, Conner's state championship teams were comprised of both.  In 1983, they won the state wrestling championship.  That fall, with a large number of wrestlers on the team, went on to win the AAA Football Championship.  Between 1983 and 1985, Troy Cole and Matt Shotwell, both football players and wrestlers, won two team championships (football and wrestling - both 1983) and then four individual wrestling championships (two apiece).  There were also several football players that placed during those years.  Obviously, it was a formula that worked then.  As far as the kids playing Boone County Pee Wee together, the 1983 team played together from the very beginning. I hope this isn't true and the kids are encouraged to participate in both sports.  Seems to me the coach would be reminded on a daily basis how successful wrestlers and football players can be when participating in both.  There are signs, plaques and murals all over the gym indicating the successes from those years.

Its true...and there is alot of reasons....to a point I understand them....I would love to shout out all of them,,,,scream them would be great....it is a very exhausting battle.....but our wrestling program needs a change.....we need someone who is willing to NOT knock on doors but kick down doors.....who is going to not take NO for an answer....who is not gonna settle......who will fight until the battle is won!!

I think eventually we will be heard...hopefully its before everyone packs up and moves on

Its true...and there is alot of reasons....to a point I understand them....I would love to shout out all of them,,,,scream them would be great....it is a very exhausting battle.....but our wrestling program needs a change.....we need someone who is willing to NOT knock on doors but kick down doors.....who is going to not take NO for an answer....who is not gonna settle......who will fight until the battle is won!!

I think eventually we will be heard...hopefully its before everyone packs up and moves on

Somebody got a little period happy.

here are the schools to push into starting teams:

newport central catholic-1967 KHSAA team champs, 1966 KHSAA runner ups. 12 ind. state champs.  northern kentucky powerhouse in football.

waggener-1971\1982 KHSAA runner ups, 10 ind. state champs.

highlands- state powerhouse in football and many other sports, could be wrestling contender within 4-5 years of starting a team.

hazard- eastern kentucky powerhouse in most sports. located in a good, solid wrestling region.

e-town- located in wrestling strong hardin county, could be state contender in 4-5 years of starting a team.

paintsville-cross town rivals of top ten finisher johnson central, a eastern kentucky powerhouse in most sports, located in a town that respects wrestling.

bardstown-state powerhouse in football and track, located in a tough wrestling region, potenial small school power.

louisville male- 1 of the few JCPS schools without a team, could be a state contender within 4-5 years of fielding a team.

beechwood-2X defending class A football state champions, potenial northern kentucky small school powerhouse.

lexington catholic-state powerhouse in most sports, could be state contender within 4-5 years of starting.

shelby county-strong athletics program with a proud tradition, has under used in-county talent.

lexington christian- another potenial small school powerhouse.

covington catholic-all boys school located in talent rich northern kentucky.

bowling green-state football powerhouse. if a team is started in the bowling green area it could help raise interest in the sport.

campbellsville-the home town of NAIA powerhouse campbellsville university dosn't have any local in-county high school teams? whats up with that?

My son wrestled for a state champion team in St. Louis in the mid-90's.  They had a state champion heavyweight named Dan Alexander who was offered a full scholarship to play football at Nebraska, and eventually became an all-Big Twelve running back (later played for the Jaguars in the NFL).  Tom Osborne, then coach of the Nebraska Cornhuskers football team (when they were good), annually attended the Missouri state wrestling championships scouting for and recruiting football players.  Osborne felt that wrestling skills equated to better blocking and tackling skills, and that really good "big men" who wrestled picked up his fundamentals much faster.  Tell me that a few years of experience on a mat practicing takedowns wouldn't improve a linebacker's ability to stick a running back in the open field!  The coaches of many outstanding football programs in schools with wrestling programs encourage their kids to wrestle (at least in other states).

Unfortunately for Male HS, as long as Bob Redman is coaching football there will never be a wrestling program.  All you need to do is go back and look some of his other stops...Ballard and Waggener.  I'm not bashing the guy, but that's just the way it is where he has coached football.