Sign in to follow this  
cougars_119

High Schools picking up wrestling.

What high schools would you like to see add a wrestling program.

I think highlands would have a great wrestling team! its an all boy school and their football team is always the top dog every year and football and wrestling work great together. What do you all think?

oh well when we played them 2 years ago in football we were told they was an all boy school. sorry about that. still i think they would have a good program.

If we could get Highlands to pick up a wrestling team two things would happen.

1.  They would become competitive in about 2-3 years

2.  Covington Catholic would probably seriously think about starting a team.

In the early 90s Highlands was looking into starting a team.  One of the problems Highland was concerned about was finding a seasoned experienced coach to take the team.  They didn't want a rookie coach. 

Maybe it was just an excuse but at the time there were almost no coaches like that available.

Lexington Catholic would be a good one, and so would Male. I really wish Ballard would jump back in.

Connor has a team, but it's almost disappeared in the last few years. I will say, judging by the million little tykes running around in blue up at Connor that they're going to come back to their former glory in a few years.

but then you all don't realize that once these private schools get teams they can recruit, which will make it near impossible for public schools to find a competitive team with in there school. i say if they get teams we have to make two divisions one for public one for private.

The problem being faced in Jefferson Co. with programs being gained and lost is the fact that the only programs staying are the ones with coaches that love the sport and old enough to continually spend the time on it.  Many young coaches start up, have kids, and then desire to be home with their families even though they love wrestling.  They might stick with it if it provided decent compensation to their families, but Jefferson Co. Pays wrestling coaches about half of what it pays football coaches.  Considering both sports take lots and lots of time, it would be nice if they were more evenly compensated.  However, football is what makes the money for the general athletics fund.  Not that wrestling isn't capable, once the program gets built and coaches see the plus side of running USAW tournaments.

On the recruitment comment, I wouldn't worry about that until we get good competition built up in KY.  As of right now, we need more teams competing and more individuals involved.

but then you all don't realize that once these private schools get teams they can recruit, which will make it near impossible for public schools to find a competitive team with in there school. i say if they get teams we have to make two divisions one for public one for private.

"Recruiting" isn't a public vs. private problem.  Some public schools are just as guilty of "recruiting" as the private schools they accuse.  More wrestling programs means more competition, which should be a good thing for all the programs and wrestling in general.  We need to show support for new wrestling programs at both public and private schools. 

Not this old gripe again.

Lets see Trinity doesn't dominated wrestling.  St.X doesn't dominate wrestling.  Who else.  Holy Cross Lou, Desales.  There are probably a few more, but you get my point.

Lets not get into the same crybaby argument that the football people are in.

A state champion is a state champion.  You must defeat everyone in your wt. class to win it. 

Team champ team let them try and uproot what has already been established.  If you are only worried about winning another team title for your school then your logic would be to have fewer schools with wrestling.  That would make it easier to win a team title. 

Let's take a look at Football

The past 2 years we faced Newport Central Catholic (a private school) in the State Championship game. We are about the opposite of a private school cause we have virtually no control of our roster from year to year, and both times we have beat them. Even with having starters from last year move

I heard somewhere that Trigg County was starting a team but im not sure

yea i heard that too. i wish some more western ky schools would man up and make some teams, its seems to be stacked in central and there is alot in the east. i mean teams just to fill up the state, haha all 120 something counties would be nice.

i thought scott county already had a team

Scott County has been talking about starting a team for a long time.  I'll believe they have finally started one when I see them at tournaments.

yea i heard that too. i wish some more western ky schools would man up and make some teams, its seems to be stacked in central and there is alot in the east. i mean teams just to fill up the state, haha all 120 something counties would be nice.

Trigg was supposed to start a middle school team according to the board. It just didn't work out, it was going to be like 2122 by the time they were supposed to get a high school team according to their time line. I agree though like Marshall, Graves, etc. need to start wrestling programs. There are alot of teams out in the Paducah area also, Reidland, Lone Oak I know these teams can field a wrestling team because I see their soccer teams. If they can field a soccer team which is basically like 15 16 kids then they can field a wrestling team with at least 10 kids to fill spots. There is pretty good talent out in this area and we're like the only region actually adding teams year to year with the addition to Calloway, Apollo, UHA, Daviees, etc. basically all the younger schools in our region were added not too long ago so we've come a ways but it can always grow like you say we have 120 counties so there are probably like over 200 schools in Kentucky. I mean in Campbell County alone there are 8 schools. We should aim to have at least 50 percent of schools to have wrestling. I don't think it's a stretch if we really push it.

That would be nice if Campbell Co Kenton Co. and Boone Co. could have 50% participation in each Co.

Campbell Co. now has 3 teams.  Silver Grove will never have a team.  They only graduate about 6 kids each year and barely field a baseball team.  Bellevue and Dayton are also extremely small schools and probably don't have the numbers to fill both a basketball team and a wrestling team.  The schools to shoot for are Highlands, and Newport Catholic. 

Kenton Co. has 4 teams.  The others without are Ludlow (another tiny school), Beechwood (they may be able to field a team, Villa Hills (another small catholic school) Lloyd (That is a possibility).  Covington Catholic (This is the one to shoot for) Covington Latin (no way thats happening) Holy Cross (tried to keep a team but was unable to keep it going).

I don't know the Boone Co. schools They now have 4 in the county with wrestling.  Walton Verona is probably the next possible school.  I don't know what the other schools in Boone Co are.

Scott County has been talking about starting a team for a long time.  I'll believe they have finally started one when I see them at tournaments.

From what I have heard you will most likely not see Scott co. start a wrestling team as long as the football coach is the athletic director. Apparently he's anti-wrestling.