Sign in to follow this  
The Bear

SEC Football

"yea i know, but it sucks to see the potential just leaving the state. yea and another thing, why didn't he go SEC?? soo much better at football. i don't care what ANYBODY (notice the anybody) says, the SEC is the best football conference in the nation short of the AFC and NFC. i mean every game Kentucky plays is like playing the Detroit Lions, every game except maybe Miss State, Vandy(most years, it will be like playing the Patriots next year) and SOME years Louisville, but thats not conference. thats why we have horrible records (sometimes) and we get awful bowl games. please i know this is Kentucky WRESTLING, but i really want to argue about this. haha"

-Kentucky10

I don't get it?

But I would say that every game that Kentucky plays in football is more like playing the Cleveland Browns as opposed to the Detroit Lions. Im not too sure that playing Vanderbilt is going to be like playing the Patriots next year either. But with one of the best recruiting classes we have had in years, including two top quarterbacks with contrasting styles, we should be good. In a year or two Kentucky will be running a two quarterback set, much like LSU did in their championship 07-08 season. Ryan Mossakowski being the strong arm, with Morgan Newton being the mobile type. I think that a mobile quarterback is just what Kentucky needs. Something that we have never had. I mean, go back and look at all the recent quarterbacks we have had; Couch, Lorenzen, and Woodson. Whats the common factor here? They are all good arms, but not mobile. In todays game you must have both, and Kentucky has that now. I know that Morgan Newton has been working alot with Peyton Manning, since he lives in Carmel Indiana, trying to improve his arm and not to become a one dimensional Pat White quarterback, because that just wont work in the SEC.

I agree with the part about the SEC being the best conference in America short of the AFC or NFC. Even the scrubs in the conference did good (08-09 season). The SEC had 8 teams playing in Bowl Games, compiling a 6-2 bowl record. Ole Miss beat Texas Tech in the Cotton Bowl by 13 points, a Texas Tech team that alot of people felt should have been in the National Championship Game (they also beat Florida earlier in the year). Vanderbilt beat Boston College by 2 points for their first bowl game victory since 1955. LSU demolished Georgia Tech 38-3, one year removed from a National Championship. Unranked South Carolina lost to then ranked #21 Iowa. Georgia doubled up on Big 10 runner up Michigan State, winning 24-12. The best team in the world, UK beat an "upcoming giant killer" East Carolina University team that beat #17 Virginia Tech in the opening week, then #8 West Virginia the following week. Alabama spent most of the season undefeated and ranked #1 in the nation before losing in the SEC championship game to Florida and then in the BCS Sugar Bowl to undefeated Utah. And to wrap it all up Florida wins the National Championship game.

I will agree that the SEC is the best conference.  I will argue that I would still go to Ohio State way before any team in the SEC.  Florida is really the only team better than them, and tradition wise no one in the SEC is better.  Being at Ohio State you will probably be in a big bowl game every year.  This really lets you show off your talents on a big stage and that helps you get to that next level.  The SEC teams all beat up on each other and like Ky, you might be playing in the toilet bowl year after year.  I would say that the only better team then Ohio in the last 10-15 years would be USC.  As far as staying in state or going to Ohio Sate, thats a no brainer.

Lol. My college Algebra teacher is from Columbus Ohio and I have this same argument with her every single day. I agree that Ohio State does have the tradition that none of the teams in the SEC have, but the thing that I don't like about them is that it seems like they get break after break every year due to their tradition. Much like Oklahoma who is now on a five year BCS bowl game losing streak, I mean come on, there comes a time when they have to stop getting in these games. How do you put a team on a four year BCS bowl game losing streak in the National Championship game? But back  to the point. Two years in a row they were in the national championship game (they obviously deserved it going in undefeated against Florida, but it was a miracle/catastrophic upset loss by West Virginia that got them in the game in the 07-08 season) and in both of those two years they lost to an SEC team. They play in a recently dwindled Big 10 conference, with the only two good teams being Ohio State and Penn State, Michigan State on the fence and with Michigan having a down year and probably a few more to come. Ohio State's last bowl win was the 05 Fiesta Bowl against Notre Dame and a young Brady Quinn. I think he threw 3 interceptions that game? Last season - Ohio State played a horribly weak regular season schedule playing only 4 ranked teams all year. They got devastated by #1 USC (35-3), squeaked by #18 Wisconsin (20-17), handled #20 Michigan State (45-7), and lost to #3 Penn State (13-6). It seems like year after year they take the Duke/Coach K approach and drill a bunch of cupcakes to get a good record and ranking, and don't do anything come postseason.

The SEC teams just beat each other out of the National Championship race. If I had the choice between Ohio State, Florida, or USC, im taking Florida. Probably just because I like their spread offense  :-D

The SEC has sent 8 to 9 teams out of the twelve, combining both east/west, to a bowl game for the past couple of years. The last 3 years an SEC team has won it. Kentucky isn't even a football school and they've won their last 2 bowl games. I think the SEC has earned their spot at the to division.

The SEC has sent 8 to 9 teams out of the twelve, combining both east/west, to a bowl game for the past couple of years. The last 3 years an SEC team has won it. Kentucky isn't even a football school and they've won their last 2 bowl games. I think the SEC has earned their spot at the to division.

Kentucky has won their last 3 bowl games. Gaylor Hotels Music City Bowl 07, 08; Autozone Liberty Bowl 09.

Kentucky has won their last 3 bowl games. Gaylor Hotels Music City Bowl 07, 08; Autozone Liberty Bowl 09.

Did you watch that last bowl game with them and East Carolina? Man that was a good game esp. towards the end.

I don't get it?

But I would say that every game that Kentucky plays in football is more like playing the Cleveland Browns as opposed to the Detroit Lions. Im not too sure that playing Vanderbilt is going to be like playing the Patriots next year either. But with one of the best recruiting classes we have had in years, including two top quarterbacks with contrasting styles, we should be good. In a year or two Kentucky will be running a two quarterback set, much like LSU did in their championship 07-08 season. Ryan Mossakowski being the strong arm, with Morgan Newton being the mobile type. I think that a mobile quarterback is just what Kentucky needs. Something that we have never had. I mean, go back and look at all the recent quarterbacks we have had; Couch, Lorenzen, and Woodson. Whats the common factor here? They are all good arms, but not mobile. In todays game you must have both, and Kentucky has that now. I know that Morgan Newton has been working alot with Peyton Manning, since he lives in Carmel Indiana, trying to improve his arm and not to become a one dimensional Pat White quarterback, because that just wont work in the SEC.

I agree with the part about the SEC being the best conference in America short of the AFC or NFC. Even the scrubs in the conference did good (08-09 season). The SEC had 8 teams playing in Bowl Games, compiling a 6-2 bowl record. Ole Miss beat Texas Tech in the Cotton Bowl by 13 points, a Texas Tech team that alot of people felt should have been in the National Championship Game (they also beat Florida earlier in the year). Vanderbilt beat Boston College by 2 points for their first bowl game victory since 1955. LSU demolished Georgia Tech 38-3, one year removed from a National Championship. Unranked South Carolina lost to then ranked #21 Iowa. Georgia doubled up on Big 10 runner up Michigan State, winning 24-12. The best team in the world, UK beat an "upcoming giant killer" East Carolina University team that beat #17 Virginia Tech in the opening week, then #8 West Virginia the following week. Alabama spent most of the season undefeated and ranked #1 in the nation before losing in the SEC championship game to Florida and then in the BCS Sugar Bowl to undefeated Utah. And to wrap it all up Florida wins the National Championship game.

yea next year we should be good, even though i went to the blue white game and they looked a lil shady, but i mean who is to judge its spring. but i will say hartline has improved greatly.

Did you watch that last bowl game with them and East Carolina? Man that was a good game esp. towards the end.

That was a great game. Haha, I was at Texas Roadhouse acting a fool.

yea next year we should be good, even though i went to the blue white game and they looked a lil shady, but i mean who is to judge its spring. but i will say hartline has improved greatly.

Spring games often don't show the true talent of teams. I will agree that Hartline has improved greatly, and even with the acquisition of two top 10 quarterbacks, the starting position is still his to lose.

Spring games often don't show the true talent of teams. I will agree that Hartline has improved greatly, and even with the acquisition of two top 10 quarterbacks, the starting position is still his to lose.

why not alternate. they're going to do it with two QBs regardless, why not throw all three in there. i bet come sep when we open in cinci, then when we come home to play louisville, we see alot of all three of our QBS, Alfonso Smith, and Aaron Boyd. and a last note how about M. Pryor  to the patriots? that is great.

why not alternate. they're going to do it with two QBs regardless, why not throw all three in there. i bet come sep when we open in cinci, then when we come home to play louisville, we see alot of all three of our QBS, Alfonso Smith, and Aaron Boyd. and a last note how about M. Pryor  to the patriots? that is great.

I just don't see the point in using all three of them, unless Mossakowski can't adapt to SEC football, Mossakowski does everything better than Hartline. Hartline has one season under his belt though, and he showed his experience in the Liberty Bowl against ECU. This being the reason I say that the starting job is his to lose.

Another name that we haven't mentioned at all; Ryan Cobb. He showed me alot when he was taking snaps behind center. When he threw the late interception against Georgia, which ultimately lost the game, he was heartbroken. And I like that in a QB how many times did Hartline throw a pick and just walk off the field like it doesn't even matter, or he doesn't care? Ryan Cobb is a great athlete, and with the acquisition of the 2 new QBs and with Hartline maturing, Cobb will likely be our #1 or #2 receiver.

The future is very bright for Kentucky football, and I can't wait until September, and a couple of years to see how everything pans out.

Congratulations to Myron Pryor! Another great defensive lineman, Corey Peters. Was he a Junior or a Senior this year? Just reminding everyone, great HWT wrestler from Central High School. 5th in the state in 06.

I just don't see the point in using all three of them, unless Mossakowski can't adapt to SEC football, Mossakowski does everything better than Hartline. Hartline has one season under his belt though, and he showed his experience in the Liberty Bowl against ECU. This being the reason I say that the starting job is his to lose.

Another name that we haven't mentioned at all; [glow=red,2,300]Ryan Cobb[/glow]. He showed me alot when he was taking snaps behind center. When he threw the late interception against Georgia, which ultimately lost the game, he was heartbroken. And I like that in a QB how many times did Hartline throw a pick and just walk off the field like it doesn't even matter, or he doesn't care? Ryan Cobb is a great athlete, and with the acquisition of the 2 new QBs and with Hartline maturing, Cobb will likely be our #1 or #2 receiver.

The future is very bright for Kentucky football, and I can't wait until September, and a couple of years to see how everything pans out.

Congratulations to Myron Pryor! Another great defensive lineman, Corey Peters. Was he a Junior or a Senior this year? Just reminding everyone, great HWT wrestler from Central High School. 5th in the state in 06.

i believe its randall

i believe its randall

Your right. Haha, theres a kid at my high school that plays kind of the same role as him named Ryan Cobb. A little bit of QB, a little bit of WR.

Yea, its just different types of football. i mean it seems like in the Big 10, there are so many big plays, 50 yard receptions, its in the defence (i think) that makes SEC better . now keep in mind I'm a wrestler, no expertice  here except peewee, middle school, and Freshman year football, but i have been chanting C-A-T-S cats cats cats since i was about 5. Yea I can't wait till September, Miami is going to get hammered, Louisville will be tough but we can do it for what the 3rd or 4th time in a row? then those following weeks will tell us just how good our cats are, Florida, Alabama at home, then we have to put up with ole Steve in South Carolina at his house, then Auburn at auburn. we have a tough schedule thats what I'm trying to say.

Yea, its just different types of football. i mean it seems like in the Big 10, there are so many big plays, 50 yard receptions, its in the defence (i think) that makes SEC better . now keep in mind I'm a wrestler, no expertice  here except peewee, middle school, and Freshman year football, but i have been chanting C-A-T-S cats cats cats since i was about 5. Yea I can't wait till September, Miami is going to get hammered, Louisville will be tough but we can do it for what the 3rd or 4th time in a row? then those following weeks will tell us just how good our cats are, Florida, Alabama at home, then we have to put up with ole Steve in South Carolina at his house, then Auburn at auburn. we have a tough schedule thats what I'm trying to say.

Kentucky has, year in and year out, one of the hardest schedules in the nation. But we should be able to manage a winning record this year, beating all the teams we should and knocking off some of the teams we probably shouldn't.

Kentucky has, year in and year out, one of the hardest schedules in the nation. But we should be able to manage a winning record this year, beating all the teams we should and knocking off some of the teams we probably shouldn't.

Ohh yea, i know its crazy sounding and people are prolly gonna say something but i see us sending the Crimson Tide down! its gonna be at home, its gonna be crunk, i just think were going to do it.

Ohh yea, i know its crazy sounding and people are prolly gonna say something but i see us sending the Crimson Tide down! its gonna be at home, its gonna be crunk, i just think were going to do it.

Well it's very possible look what KY did to LSU two years back.

We were 3 points off of beating them in Tuscaloosa when they were ranked #1 in the nation. So imagine what we can do at home.

We were 3 points off of beating them in Tuscaloosa when they were ranked #1 in the nation. So imagine what we can do at home.

true that. this fall is gonna be great. but i am really surprised no Louisville fans have gotten on here and trashed talked.

Yeah. Really. Me living in Louisville, almost every single one of my friends are Louisville friends. And they always talk trash about UK. Im a UK fan and I don't trash UofL, why do they have to? Lol its all good though.

Yeah. Really. Me living in Louisville, almost every single one of my friends are Louisville friends. And they always talk trash about UK. Im a UK fan and I don't trash UofL, why do they have to? Lol its all good though.

i wish we could just chill. i mean we are both good ball clubs, representing kentucky, and we both do a good job at doing it. idk, i just hate getting into it with cards