Sign in to follow this  
BALL-N-CHAIN

The day wrestling changed

This was sent to me by a friend.

On the day college wrestling changed, Penn State made one of the boldest moves in its athletic history.

On the day college wrestling changed, Penn State entered name-your-price college athletics.

On the day college wrestling changed, Cael Sanderson left his alma mater.

On the day college wrestling changed, Sanderson told an Iowa State team capable of winning a 2010 NCAA title he wanted to coach somewhere else.

On the day college wrestling changed, Sanderson told Penn State he wanted everything it had to offer.

On the day college wrestling changed, Penn State informed qualified men who endured a thorough search and interview process of its decision to hire Sanderson.

On the day college wrestling changed, Penn State had a four-time NCAA champion and Olympic gold medalist in its corner.

On the day college wrestling changed, Penn State had a coach featured on his own Wheaties box.

On the day college wrestling changed, Wheaties tasted good.

On the day college wrestling changed, Penn State moved closer to winning its first NCAA wrestling title since 1953.

On the day college wrestling changed, skilled and committed athletes from high schools such as Central Mountain, Blue Mountain and Central Dauphin worked a bit harder to become Nittany Lions.

On the day college wrestling changed, skilled and committed athletes from high schools Pennsylvanians know nothing about started formulating plans to visit Rec Hall.

On the day college wrestling changed, Penn State

I like the move too but, this has to be one of the biggest bone-headed business decisions of all time. What kind of return can PSU expect with this investment?

I think its great for the sport!

Maybe Penn St knows something thats not as obvious to the rest of us in regards to the expected return on investment.

I honestly do not like the ISU cyclones now. I wonder if David Taylor will still go to ISU? Okie State has a TOUGH recruting class this year. Also maybe Cael will actually get some of that Pennsylvania talent to come to Penn State. I'd much rather see Penn and Zeke Jones on the top of Penn's recruiting though.

I honestly do not like the ISU cyclones now. I wonder if David Taylor will still go to ISU? Okie State has a TOUGH recruting class this year. Also maybe Cael will actually get some of that Pennsylvania talent to come to Penn State. I'd much rather see Penn and Zeke Jones on the top of Penn's recruiting though.

Zeke Jones left Penn

Im waiting to see if David Taylor leaves Iowa State for like Iowa or Ohio State

I think less and less of Cael every time I hear about him.  It always has to be all about the money now-a-days!  Dan Gable would never have even thought about leaving!  Of course, that is why his Iowa teams made history and Caels teams probably never will (unless wrestling becomes like basketball, less about coaching and all about the recruits - but even then Dan Gable took home boys from Iowa that typically weren't even state champions and made them National Champions).

i got in trouble and had in school suspension, coach carr oversees. whil ei was in there Nate Carr jr called and said that the guy in front of him at ISU left to follow Cale, so now Carr is starting or should be.

i got in trouble and had in school suspension, coach carr oversees. whil ei was in there Nate Carr jr called and said that the guy in front of him at ISU left to follow Cale, so now Carr is starting or should be.

Wow. Im sure that Coach Carr should have fun with you come the first practice. You think he'll remember it?

Wow. Im sure that Coach Carr should have fun with you come the first practice. You think he'll remember it?

Probably already did.  Doesn't have to be in wrestling season for sprints.  :-D

I dont get it? Is that a woodford thing? 15s

in our wrestling room, sprint from one side to the other 15 times under a min well we use to be timed, now the coaches use judgement on whether or not we are running hard.

in our wrestling room, sprint from one side to the other 15 times under a min well we use to be timed, now the coaches use judgement on whether or not we are running hard.

Ohhh... that sucks. How come they stopped timing you? They have to be politically correct?

Ohhh... that sucks. How come they stopped timing you? They have to be politically correct?

Probably have to comnpensate for beginers, out of shape people, etc. I'm sure it's not the same room as when the starks brothers were wrestling there. Just like down in our room we had to ease up after "Mommas" started getting worried about the level of intensity we were using.

Probably have to comnpensate for beginers, out of shape people, etc. I'm sure it's not the same room as when the starks brothers were wrestling there. Just like down in our room we had to ease up after "Mommas" started getting worried about the level of intensity we were using.

That makes me upset, theres so much for coaches to be worried about now days, that they can't even maintain a high level of intensity during practices.

I tell my parents that wrestling's not for everyone.  I coach winners and intensity is important.  If their kid, or them, can't handle it then they need to try another sport.  I have had some quit but most just deal with it and get better.  After awhile they understand why it's important and they stop talking about it.

I remember under Coach Lowe we had a good 40 minutes of hard conditioning, then drills, then technique, then we ALWAYS had to run walls after practice, we had to add one wall for each day of practice. Then of course our warm up was 1 to 3 miles of at least moderate running

Then this year I was trying to bring all of it back, but Tre made himself master of the wrestling room and dropped almost everything we did for conditioning

No discipline, no conditioning, minimal talent. It was terrible

I remember under Coach Lowe we had a good 40 minutes of hard conditioning, then drills, then technique, then we ALWAYS had to run walls after practice, we had to add one wall for each day of practice. Then of course our warm up was 1 to 3 miles of at least moderate running

Then this year I was trying to bring all of it back, but Tre made himself master of the wrestling room and dropped almost everything we did for conditioning

No discipline, no conditioning, minimal talent. It was terrible

Someone should have stepped up and spoke out.

Someone should have stepped up and spoke out.

Jared was our Senior but he was too timid to do anything, he just focused on himself and our 112. I was constantly trying to tell Tre that the stuff he was doing wasnt helping. But I guess he was too busy displaying his lack of real knowledge of wrestling. Like not knowing the difference between a square and staggered stance, refusal to attempt or teach shots, and thinking just by breaking me down he was a star top wrestler.

But back to the topic at hand....

That makes me upset, theres so much for coaches to be worried about now days, that they can't even maintain a high level of intensity during practices.

i beg to differ for the soul fact that u have never been to a jojo carr practice. like we have different days Big Carr days and jojo days, jojo days are hell haha

i beg to differ for the soul fact that u have never been to a jojo carr practice. like we have different days Big Carr days and jojo days, jojo days are hell haha

Sounds like a Kris Perry practice. I've never been pushed so much in my life.

I have never been to a JoJo practice, but being at a poor program some other wrestlers and I attended other practices;

I would say that the hardest practice that I have ever been to is a Duane Goldman practice. Really intense, run run run run run, drill drill, run run run run, technique, run run, live wrestle, run. Really intense and almost all of the running was over hills.