Sign in to follow this  
wrestlewatcher

Kyle Ruschell-All American

Kyle just defeated Steven Brown from Central Michigan in the Round of Tears.  This earns Kyle the elite distinction of "All American."  Kyle works hard and is a true gentleman, leader and champion......this honor is well deserved!  Kyle will take on Kyle Borshoff in the next round.  We wish him well!

Kyle making D1 All American... brings up a couple questions.  I understand he is the first in 17 years since Dave Barnes... how many Kentucky wrestlers have been All Americans and is Kyle's 3rd place the highest place by a Kentucky wrestler?  ...and please list who they are.    Not sure where to go to find out such info... anyone know where this can be found?

Dave Barnes got 8th from Miami of Ohio.  (Simon Kenton)

Dominic Black got 4th for WVU.  (Henry Clay)

Ruschell got 3rd for Wisconsin.  (Ryle)

I believe Jeff Fitch became an All-American at Indiana in the 70's.  (Woodford)

Great job Kyle!  You are someone we can all look up to for what you have accomplished.  You are the man!  Keep up the great work!

I've watched the match three times now and I still think the ref missed a 2 pt near-fall for Palmer, after Kyle tried the inside trip but got stuffed.  Great match, and I was on my feet cheering when he finally went ahead and kept Palmer from escaping in the final secs.

Great match.

Yeah the ref did miss the call and the announcers were commenting on it.  But congrats to Kyle he wrestled his ass off this weekend and he deserves what he got!!

I didn't see the match, so I can't comment directly on this situation, but from what I have seen at the college level (90% big ten), the officials tend to give a guy being aggressive a break.  It sounds like Kyle went for an inside trip and got caught.  So if the ref saw it that way, he may have given Kyle an opportunity to recover before starting the count.  That may not be by the rule book, but appears to be the way I've seen the calls go.

I didn't see the match, so I can't comment directly on this situation, but from what I have seen at the college level (90% big ten), the officials tend to give a guy being aggressive a break.  It sounds like Kyle went for an inside trip and got caught.  So if the ref saw it that way, he may have given Kyle an opportunity to recover before starting the count.  That may not be by the rule book, but appears to be the way I've seen the calls go.

That very well may have been what happened.  All weekend long it seemed like the crowd was booing the OSU wrestlers for basically stalling.  Palmer did really nothing offensively in both matches with Kyle. 

In my opinion Kyle never was out of danger, and that's why the ref didn't give 2 sets of back points.  I also watched it a few time, and I think the ref got it right.

First understand I'm his Mom and a bit biased... and I was at the other end of the arena and did not have a real good vantage point... but as it was explained to me it was the refs judgement call and it went Kyle's way.  I will say that in every match Kyle has had with Palmer he (Palmer) has done nothing but stall and has gotten away with it until this match.  Kyle knew he needed to wrestle him different and keep him on the mat to get the stalling calls and force Palmer to wrestle him.  As many of you know not every call goes your way... this one may have for Kyle and I for one could not be happier or more proud of him... he has worked so very hard and has earned the place on the podium... let's hope he can move up two spots next year.  Thanks to everyone that has been so supportive of Kyle... it is truly appeciated.

First understand I'm his Mom and a bit biased... and I was at the other end of the arena and did not have a real good vantage point... but as it was explained to me it was the refs judgement call and it went Kyle's way.   I will say that in every match Kyle has had with Palmer he (Palmer) has done nothing but stall and has gotten away with it until this match.   Kyle knew he needed to wrestle him different and keep him on the mat to get the stalling calls and force Palmer to wrestle him.   As many of you know not every call goes your way... this one may have for Kyle and I for one could not be happier or more proud of him... he has worked so very hard and has earned the place on the podium... let's hope he can move up two spots next year.   Thanks to everyone that has been so supportive of Kyle... it is truly appeciated.

I'm glad you're proud of him because you should be.  He's a very classy person in addition to being a great wrestler.  You can tell he was raised right.