Sign in to follow this  
figurefour

Bryce Alexander 152 pound state champ

I use to coach Henderson County High School. As many know, the School Board dropped our program. One wrestler moved to another state due to his father receiving a job in Missouri. Bryce Alexander lost one match during the course of the year. It was a one-point decision when he decided to cut weight and go to a lower weight class. He went back to his original weight class before the post season and finished the year out as a state champion at 152 pounds. Bryce has come along way in his wrestling. He has always had the ability to get the pin even when way behind in points. His seventh grade year, I believe, he pinned a one seed at the state tournament in the 103 lbs class. He nearly pinned a highly ranked Woodford County wrestler two years ago and took him into overtime. Bryce has always found himself in a weight class with a very tough opponent from Union County in the region (Adam Carr, Chance Pucket, Aaron Carr, Luke Ervin). The last year he wrestled for Henderson County, he placed eighth in the state tournament right behind Ervin at 135 lbs. Bryce learned alot that year, became dedicated and was in fact a more polished wrestler. I think he is due some serious congrats for his accomplishment. Im sure many people around the state know him as the Henderson Headlocker, lol.......He had like a David Ritchie type head lock, when all else failed. I just wanted to let everyone know that he is now a state champion as a junior.  Congrats Bryce! 8-)

im not tryin to down grade bryce alexander but i think he was in the smallest school devision and he's not that good at all and the head lock is the only reason he did place at kentucky state he was getting beat 4-0 he's not that good

Don't minimize an achievement like a State title. Crappy wrestlers can win tournaments but you have to have talent at any level to win a state title. How many state titles did you win in Missouri?

im not tryin to down grade bryce alexander but i think he was in the smallest school devision and he's not that good at all and the head lock is the only reason he did place at kentucky state he was getting beat 4-0 he's not that good

correct me if im wrong..but bryce had the woodford county fans going crazy..when he bout beat shane parks in the first round at state in 07...score ended up being something like 15-13 parks...dont sleep on bryce

it's a good thing you told us all you were not trying to down grade bryce.  otherwise it looks like that's exactly what you were trying to do! 

mat fiend is right the big dogs of Missouri wrestling are not wrestling in the same class as Bryce so he has a little easier competition but hey, He wrestled in the class that his scholl was part of and won so congratulations to him and good luck next year Bryce

I hate to say this, but the lower classes are not necessarily easier.  In Michigan, back prior to 1995, they had Class A, B, and CD for wrestling.  Although it was the lowest class, the majority of schools were in the CD class which made it very comparable to class A.  And, although I am not sure of the talent in MO, the lower classes in Michigan were every bit as tough as Kentucky Wrestling.

Don't minimize an achievement like a State title. Crappy wrestlers can win tournaments but you have to have talent at any level to win a state title. How many state titles did you win in Missouri?

hold on how many state titles did he win in kentucky?

I hate to say this, but the lower classes are not necessarily easier.  In Michigan, back prior to 1995, they had Class A, B, and CD for wrestling.  Although it was the lowest class, the majority of schools were in the CD class which made it very comparable to class A.  And, although I am not sure of the talent in MO, the lower classes in Michigan were every bit as tough as Kentucky Wrestling.

not trying to be disrespectful dinubus, but trust me the majority of the best teams are not in class one in the state rankings the first class 1 team is rated #14

http://www.missouriwrestling.com/rankings/all-class-rankings.php

heres a link to see the team rankings in missouri

Getting beat 4-0 when? Sounds like someone has tipped up the 32 ounce Hatorade and sucked it dry..........lol Give the boy some credit. To not say he is that good, is disrespectful. The Union County matches he wrestled always had the Braves a little worried. (Maybe not Pucket or Carr early on, but afterwards) I wrestled for Union County. Bryce had their respect.

I would even say that Bryce would have at least won state in KY next year. I hate headlocks and I always thought they were a garbage move, until I saw the way that Bryce suckered people into them. And yes the Shane Parks match was exciting.

not trying to be disrespectful dinubus, but trust me the majority of the best teams are not in class one in the state rankings the first class 1 team is rated #14

Not trying to be disrespectful either, but when did "the best teams" have all the best wrestlers?  A lot of smaller schools in states like Michigan and in this case Missouri have less than a full team (making them not one of the best teams) but with several high quality wrestlers.  For an example here in Kentucky, look at Lawrence Co. a couple years ago with the Murton Brothers.  Sure that is only a couple of weight classes taken up, but when you have a lot of teams with only a couple of very good wrestlers, it adds up to a very tough division.

dude what difference does it make. do you have a state tittle. and plus the kid got 8 last year placing under luke ervin, now tell me who was our 135 state champ...........LUKE ERVIN. dont minimize an achievement like a state title, i would kill to have won one.

Aren't the classes determined by school enrollment and not individual talent?  Just because he wrestled in a lower class does not mean he didn't beat some quality wrestlers to win the title. 

He weighed in, he wrestled, he won.  Enough said.  Quit downplaying a great achievement!

i wasnt trying to down paly it, but if missouri would have an overall champions brackett, like the champions at every weight class from each division, then you would know who was the best, not by classes

He is a state champion now. Plain and simple. It is not his fault that he was in a school that wasn't considered a top tier team. He wrestled the kid in front of him, and made the most out of his situation. Congratulations are in order... good job Bryce.

A state champion is a state champion.  Thank the lord they have enough kids and participant schools to have differant classes of schools.  Hopefully one day in Kentucky we can be as big.

A state champion is a state champion.  Thank the lord they have enough kids and participant schools to have differant classes of schools.  Hopefully one day in Kentucky we can be as big.

Agreed.

Bottom line is Bryce got it done.Figurefour(Brandon Cole) would be to modest to take any credit for

Bryce's success but I saw first hand daily at Henderson Co. practice sessions how much Coach Cole taught

Bryce. One of the best practice match's I ever saw was one between Cole&Alexander. It was right after the

south Jr. High "Bulldog Classic". We were rolling up the mats and the two started wrestling out of the blue.

I'm sure Cole remembers it well, they went after it for several minutes at full speed,neither giving an inch.

It was great fun to watch. Cole wrestled for Union Co. and placed 5th. at state( correct me if Im wrong on

the place). Cole was a great asset to the former Colonel program . Way to go Bryce,enjoy your Championship

who knows maybe he repeats next season........

Bottom line is Bryce got it done.Figurefour(Brandon Cole) would be to modest to take any credit for

Bryce's success but I saw first hand daily at Henderson Co. practice sessions how much Coach Cole taught

Bryce. One of the best practice match's I ever saw was one between Cole&Alexander. It was right after the

south Jr. High "Bulldog Classic". We were rolling up the mats and the two started wrestling out of the blue.

I'm sure Cole remembers it well, they went after it for several minutes at full speed,neither giving an inch.

It was great fun to watch. Cole wrestled for Union Co. and placed 5th. at state( correct me if Im wrong on

the place). Cole was a great asset to the former Colonel program . Way to go Bryce,enjoy your Championship

who knows maybe he repeats next season........

I was fourth....lol....Many moons ago, but thanks for the compliments........I believe Bryce actually started trying to wrestle you and then I jumped him....lol...

Yeah, but he definitely was not going to let me pin him....lol.....I don't remember Bryce ever being pinned, come to think about it......... :-o

correct me if im wrong..but bryce had the woodford county fans going crazy..when he bout beat shane parks in the first round at state in 07...score ended up being something like 15-13 parks...dont sleep on bryce

ohh no it was 10-5 shane p. but it was close and right in front of us, that would have been awful.

ohh no it was 10-5 shane p. but it was close and right in front of us, that would have been awful.

Great match.  Alexander working his tail off, and Parks with that crybaby look on his face that he got whenever someone was beating him.