Sign in to follow this  
magicman

coach stinson

I have been around Stinson a few times and he has always came across as a great person.  I personally dont think he did anything different then every other football coach out there.  I would also like to say that if I had a kid and this happened, I would be doing the same exact thing as the parents are right now.  To many people have come forward and said that there was things that should have or could have been done to avoid this terrible tragedy.  If I was was a parent, I would feel that I needed to get to the truth and find out exactly what happened and if anything could have been done.  I am actually more appalled at the Principle (Johnson) and athletic director(Webb) with there actions, or lack there of.

He loves all his players. He is a great man who has personally given me plenty of perspective and help when I needed it. He's always there for anyone. He didn't do anything out of line that doesn't happen everyday at sports practices. He, as well as Max and his family, is a victim of this whole situation. He's being dragged through the mud for a freak accident. It hurts to watch it all play out.

He loves all his players. He is a great man who has personally given me plenty of perspective and help when I needed it. He's always there for anyone. He didn't do anything out of line that doesn't happen everyday at sports practices. He, as well as Max and his family, is a victim of this whole situation. He's being dragged through the mud for a freak accident. It hurts to watch it all play out.

That was my impression. Check out a movie called "The Junction Boys." It's about Bear Bryant when he first coached at Texas A & M (played by Tom Berenger). If he were coaching today, he'd probably be sued or jailed.

I understand the parents' viewpoint, as I know how my brother and his wife felt when they lost their teenaged daughter to a car accident. They blamed her friend who was driving and wanted her criminally prosecuted. But it was a terrible accident, and I'm glad the police said no.

That was my impression. Check out a movie called "The Junction Boys." It's about Bear Bryant when he first coached at Texas A & M (played by Tom Berenger). If he were coaching today, he'd probably be sued or jailed.

I understand the parents' viewpoint, as I know how my brother and his wife felt when they lost their teenaged daughter to a car accident. They blamed her friend who was driving and wanted her criminally prosecuted. But it was a terrible accident, and I'm glad the police said no.

The thing with this case is that a lot of people have come forward and said that if there was certain things done then maybe this could of been avoided.  I have not heard anyone deny that Stinson is a good guy.  The fact of the matter is that there might of been actions that could of avoided a death.  I am not a parent yet but if I was and this happened, I would feel that I needed to pursue the case and see if this could have been avoided.  It is going to be interesting to see what happens and how this effects coaching all across America.

The thing with this case is that a lot of people have come forward and said that if there was certain things done then maybe this could of been avoided.  I have not heard anyone deny that Stinson is a good guy.  The fact of the matter is that there might of been actions that could of avoided a death.  I am not a parent yet but if I was and this happened, I would feel that I needed to pursue the case and see if this could have been avoided.  It is going to be interesting to see what happens and how this effects coaching all across America.

I understand that. But what i'm asking is why? Why would they want to take a man that wanted nothing but good and success for their son and put him on trial for something that was never, ever, ever, ever an intention of his nor anyone else on the field. I know it may look bad from one point of view, but what do they get out of destroying his life/reputation? This case is just bad for everyone involved. I'm almost starting to feel worse for Jason than I am for Max's parents.

I understand that. But what i'm asking is why? Why would they want to take a man that wanted nothing but good and success for their son and put him on trial for something that was never, ever, ever, ever an intention of his nor anyone else on the field. I know it may look bad from one point of view, but what do they get out of destroying his life/reputation? This case is just bad for everyone involved. I'm almost starting to feel worse for Jason than I am for Max's parents.

No one ever said he intended to hurt him in anyway.  I think everyone knows that there was never any intent and that he only wants good things for his players.  With that being said though as the parents, I think it is almost there dutie to find out if the death of there son could have been avoided.  If the proper precautions were not taken, whether intentional or not, he is still in the wrong.  I felt the same way as you Dusty when I fist heard of all of this.  I then talked to some parents about it and realized that it doesnt matter if Stinson is the greatest guy in the world or not.  What matters is finding out the truth of what happened and if it could have been avoided.  If it comes down to Stinson making bad judgement calls or something like that, sadly Stinson was in the wrong.  This is a tough case because a GOOD man might of been in the wrong.

It's called criminal negligence. Coach Stinson was not trying to harm a player. He was trying to motivate but unfortunately the athlete's body could not deal with the workout, for whatever reason(that we don't know). I feel for the parents, players and coaches for losing a son/friend/student/athlete, but I wonder why the parents did not get an autopsy. It would seem that an autopsy could have answered a lot of questions, but then again, I'm not a parent that just lost a son so I don't know what was going through their head.

I just ran into him and talked to him for about 20 minutes. He's out with his little kids. I'm glad to see he's doin' good. I just hope people don't hassle him while he's out.

It's called criminal negligence. Coach Stinson was not trying to harm a player. He was trying to motivate but unfortunately the athlete's body could not deal with the workout, for whatever reason(that we don't know). I feel for the parents, players and coaches for losing a son/friend/student/athlete, but I wonder why the parents did not get an autopsy. It would seem that an autopsy could have answered a lot of questions, but then again, I'm not a parent that just lost a son so I don't know what was going through their head.

I know someone who knows the Gilpin family. She said they knew he was taking Creotin (not sure how to spell it). That's supposed to dehydrate, as I understand it. I don't understand why they wouldn't have wanted an autopsy either, except that perhaps they want to blame someone and not be faced with the fact that he may have taken actions to contribute to his death.

I just ran into him and talked to him for about 20 minutes. He's out with his little kids. I'm glad to see he's doin' good. I just hope people don't hassle him while he's out.

I agree totally. 

I knew Max since he was in preschool, and I was in 1st grade at greenwood elementary. I had Max's mother (Michelle Crockett) as a teacher for 3rd and 4th grade. My best friends little brother, was best friends with Max, so naturally we hung out a lot. Max was always a hard worker, who would do anything it took to win. I know that he was taking creotine, which is known to cause dehydration. But the official cause of death wasn't dehydration; it was "Heat Stroke", so the creotine may not have had anything to do with it (although hydration likely contributed to the death, or played a role). Mrs.Crockett was always a loving woman, and I know how much it hurts her to lose her son, and how much it has impacted the whole community to lose a good kid, but I just don't understand why she is doing this. It's not going to get her anywhere. It won't bring Max back, and their is really no closure to get. In ruining Stinson's life with this trial it is also impacting his children, just as her children have been impacted. I really wish that they (Mrs.Crockett and Mr.Gilpin) wouldn't do this. But I have faith, that the right decision will be made.

anyone else see the hilarity in this post?

I knew Max since he was in preschool, and I was in 1st grade at greenwood elementary. I had Max's mother (Michelle Crockett) as a teacher for 3rd and 4th grade. My best friends little brother, was best friends with Max, so naturally we hung out a lot. Max was always a hard worker, who would do anything it took to win. I know that he was taking creotine, which is known to cause dehydration. But the official cause of death wasn't dehydration; it was "Heat Stroke", so the creotine may not have had anything to do with it (although hydration likely contributed to the death, or played a role). Mrs.Crockett was always a loving woman, and I know how much it hurts her to lose her son, and how much it has impacted the whole community to lose a good kid, but I just don't understand why she is doing this. It's not going to get her anywhere. It won't bring Max back, and their is really no closure to get. In ruining Stinson's life with this trial it is also impacting his children, just as her children have been impacted. I really wish that they (Mrs.Crockett and Mr.Gilpin) wouldn't do this. But I have faith, that the right decision will be made.

Very thoughtful comments, 385. It's important to note that one of the main issues being raised is that Stinson allegedly kept Max from having water he needed, so dehydration is important here.

I agree that no good can come from this to Max and and his parents. That was my point about my niece's death -- that ruining her friend's life, who already had to deal with driving a car in which her friend died, was not going to bring my niece back. We live in a world where so many people want to blame someone for every bad thing that happens to them. Most of us are just doing the best we can -- with our job, with our family, with our daily activities.

I'll spell it out for you:

"I just ran into him and talked to him for about 20 minutes"

followed by:

"I just hope people don't hassle him while he's out."

still foggy?

I didn't hassle him. He's a personal friend. We talked and went on our ways.