Sign in to follow this  
myGSP

State MOW

What should determined who wins MOW  

81 members have voted

1. 1. What should determined who wins MOW

• Best wrestler at State (only what happens at State)
    • Wins State (just does what he has to), best wrestler all year
    • Wins State, best over all career
    • Biggest underdog to win State
    • Pins 5 to win
    • Other/explain

I think it should be the best performance at state.  This year might be a easy one seeing that I think that Courtney will have the best performance along with best career.  Like I posted on another thread, if Zarth wins he could have a claim for MOW as well.

I think it should be the best performance at state.  This year might be a easy one seeing that I think that Courtney will have the best performance along with best career.  Like I posted on another thread, if Zarth wins he could have a claim for MOW as well.

I don't disagree; but what if Fahy major or techs everyone :?

Should he not be consider, I believe most will view 103 as an easier weight class than the middle weights or he's only a freshman mentality :x

How many Freshman have won the MOW none. I don't know of any but i could be wrong( Wouldn't be the first time ) but don't think it will happen this year either. If i were a betting man and i am, i would say it would go to a upper classman unless there is an upset. Matt Zarth would be my pick if he wins with Courtney a close 2nd.

Upset special for MOW 160 class someone beats Courtney and wins State then they would be a shoe-in.

MOW should be based on state performance only!!!!Period.  e.g.  Zarth pins his way up to the finals and then wins a 5-4 overtime thriller vs. osborne.  Zarth probably MOW  Tougher class to win and outstanding wrestling.  What Courtney should win is Mr. Wrestling.  Kind of like Mr. Basketball.  Award for career performance.  MOW should be for what is done at state.  In all honesty it sounds like the award has been decided for the most part.  That is wrong.  Who knew Santonio Holmes would be super bowl MVP until the game was played.  Same with MOW.

It should be based on state performance only you never know how state is going to turn out there could be an underdog come blazing on the mat and take state by storm then you have your MOW.

IT WILL BE HARRISON COURTNEY

HE WILL BE A 4 TIMER AND ITS ONLY RIGHT TO GIVE HIM THAT AS RESPECT TO WHAT HE HAS DONE

GARANTEE IT

Why are you yelling?

No. MOW is definitely not based on who the best wrestler is at state or who performed best or even the biggest underdog. This is the most biased award out there. Two years ago Derek Nickel hands down had the toughest draw at state, and he won, not only did he win, but the only points he gave up the entire tournament were escapes. Derek wrestled like a mad man and made everyone else in the tournament look silly. He was the lowest ranked wrestler to ever win state i believe (8th) and he definitely wrestled better than anyone. But who won it? Mitch Ervin, someone who was expected to win state all year long... the coaches only look at who is on the powerhouse school, or who has been doing good all year.

Zarth. Tougher weight class than Fahy or Courtney, imo.

That or give it to some underdog who no one expects to win it.

I don't think they have ever given the MOW to the runner-up before.  Osbourne is going to beat Zarth...Again. IMHO

Their are many reasons for MVW.  Sometimes it can be effort and desire.  SOmeone wrestling a good hard 6 min match never letting up.  Its best not to pin the the kid.  Why cut short your 6 min of glory.  Beat him, tech him.  The finals is the most important match.  The weight class should be deep.  Knock off a returning state champ.  (Davis)  Going in to the tour it belongs to Courtney.  Earned for his career.  It will be hard to take it from him.  Fahy?  He has time to get his later and it's 103..

No. MOW is definitely not based on who the best wrestler is at state or who performed best or even the biggest underdog. This is the most biased award out there. Two years ago Derek Nickel hands down had the toughest draw at state, and he won, not only did he win, but the only points he gave up the entire tournament were escapes. Derek wrestled like a mad man and made everyone else in the tournament look silly. He was the lowest ranked wrestler to ever win state i believe (8th) and he definitely wrestled better than anyone. But who won it? Mitch Ervin, someone who was expected to win state all year long... the coaches only look at who is on the powerhouse school, or who has been doing good all year.

I don't think Mitch was pick to win that year, as i recall Pat Banks was everyones pick.

shane parks won last year, and he was also ranked 8th

That's not a suprise though if you look at his track record. That weight class was so stacked though anyone in the top 10 could have won it all.

I don't think Mitch was pick to win that year, as i recall Pat Banks was everyones pick.

Nickel's weight class wasn't nearly as stacked as Ervin's weight that year. I agree that Nickel was tough he was by far the best wrestler out of that weight that year because of his technical abilities. Although that being true, it was boring watching him wrestle.

I think alot of people last year had a good argument of being MOW. Bailey, Peace, Ervin were all pretty close in their performance on paper but Courtney stood out the most because of his overall performance. He teched Griffith, Pile 16-0, 15-0 who are two very tough wrestlers and pinned the other three which included Beau who was the second best guy in the state. By far MOW for Courtney last year had nothing to do with his career but he was the most outstanding wrestler at the state tournament.

Nickel's weight class wasn't nearly as stacked as Ervin's weight that year. I agree that Nickel was tough he was by far the best wrestler out of that weight that year because of his technical abilities. Although that being true, it was boring watching him wrestle.

I think alot of people last year had a good argument of being MOW. Bailey, Peace, Ervin were all pretty close in their performance on paper but Courtney stood out the most because of his overall performance. He teched Griffith, Pile 16-0, 15-0 who are two very tough wrestlers and pinned the other three which included Beau who was the second best guy in the state. By far MOW for Courtney last year had nothing to do with his career but he was the most outstanding wrestler at the state tournament.

I completely agree, but I would have to argue that taking down a 3x state champion with numerous national records that has never loss in HS, is also a little outstanding. 

I completely agree, but I would have to argue that taking down a 3x state champion with numerous national records that has never loss in HS, is also a little outstanding. 

IMO, Sullivan beat Sullivan. I give Spencer the benefit of the doubt and he should have been mentioned but I really think it was all Sullivan doing what he could not to loose.

lets get up to topic, and remain this year. why hasent aaron been mentioned? 125 is way tougher than 119, or 160 in my opinion. if he has a good enough performance, cant he win?

Really cannot tell who will get MOW it just depends on the performance. I really think Isaac has a good chance at teching or pinning everyone as does Courtney. I would say these two guys have the best chance.

isaac could tech his way to the finals, but i think andrew wright is going to make it to the semis with him, and depending on how he wrestles and how isaac wrestles, i think he could keep it close, if not win.