Sign in to follow this  
The Bear

NCAA Predictions

Who are you alls picks?

Here goes my shot at it.

125: Donahoe Edinboro vs. Nickerson Cornell Wild Card: Escabedo Indiana

If Escabedo can get his head on straight he can sneak in. I'd love to see Nickerson actually make weight and face up with Donahoe.

133: Dennis Iowa vs. Ness Minnesota WC: Humphrey O State

This is a wild weight class especially with how Humphrey wrestles he can upset alot of people. I think Ness will turn it up come tournament time and make it to the finals.

141: Tsirtsis Iowa vs. Tanelli Wisconsin WC: Gallick Iowa St

Tanelli is a sleeper in my opinion but has proved himself finals worthy with a win at midlands. He has shown he can hang with the best.

149: Metcalf Iowa vs. Caldwell NC State WC: Ruschell Wisconsin

I honestly think that it's just a battle for second if Caldwell isn't in the finals. Ruschell could sneak in he is as good as anyone, besides metcalf, in this weight. Caldwell has the best chance at actually beating Metcalf that's why I put him up there. I know he has already been teched by Metcalf, but I think Caldwell could catch him early. I'd say this is the toughest weight to win and probably one of the most stacked weights this year. Should see some pretty exciting matches from quarters to semis to finals.

157: Gillespie Edinboro vs. Burroughs Nebraska WC: Leen Cornell

This has to be the most exciting weight with two National Champions, One runner up and one third place finisher. Burroughs has been on a train roll and I don't see him matching up with anyone but Leen, Gillespie, or Poeta.

165: Morningstar Iowa vs. Lewnes Cornell WC: Reader Iowa S

Don't know much about this weight other than Morningstar is a beast.

174: Cannon American vs. Browne Nebraska WC: Luke Michigan

I believe that Cannon will win it all just like at Midlands.

184: Herbert Northwestern vs. Pucillo O State WC: Keddy Iowa

Herbert and Pucillo will be a sweet matchup, I couldn't even predict a winner in this they are both fairly even.

197: Varner Iowa S vs. Askren Mizzou WC: Herbst Wisconsin

I see this to be a pretty exciting match lots of scrambles.

285: Rosholt Ok State vs. Ellis Mizzou WC: Zabriskie Iowa S

Wow, have you seen these kind of heavy weights before?!?! This will be a different kind of heavy weight match up from previous years where you have Mocco and can't think of his name at the moment but from Minnesota. These are guys who are as athletic as 133 pounders it's amazing. I see a huge matchup with these two guys probably tied with the best match of the night with 157 matchup.

Team:

1. Iowa

2. Iowa State

3. Cornell

4. Nebraska

5. Wisconsin

6. Mizzou

7. Ohio State

8. Central Michigan

9. Edinboro

10. Illinois

Hodge winner: Of course Metcalf.

Do you still think Jaggers is in a slump?  It's hard to write off a defending champion.  I don't see Caldwell touching Metcalf.  Scary as it sounds.  I think Metcalf has improved dramatically this year

Do you still think Jaggers is in a slump?  It's hard to write off a defending champion.  I don't see Caldwell touching Metcalf.  Scary as it sounds.  I think Metcalf has improved dramatically this year

Jaggers I don't think is even in the top ten this year. He's a different monster when it comes to the National tourney, I was just thinking of that after I posted it. He's lost alot of matches this year. Especially to unranked wrestlers. As for the Metcalf Caldwell, I just picked Caldwell because he's a very exciting wrestler. In reality I think Metcalf could tech anyone number 2 and below. The last person to hang with Metcalf was with Palmer in the quarters of last NCAA tournament. It's a toss up in my opion though from number 2 down Caldwell, Ruschell, Jenkins, and Palmer. BTW I checked the rankings and Jaggers is number 14 at 141.

125: Troy Nickerson vs. Paul Donahoe

I give it to Donahoe. He's been wrestling like an animal this year, and I think he will be back with a vengeance after his embarassing departure from Nebraska last season.

133: Daniel Dennis vs. Reece Humphrey WC's: Jimmy Kennedy, Andrew Hochstrasser, Jayson Ness

This weight is as wide open as they get. I can see any of the top 6 winning it if they come to wrestle. I'll give it to Dennis though. Which gives Iowa two 133lbs. National Finalists in their room.

141: Alex Tsirtsis vs. Corey Jantzen WC: Zach Tanelli

Alex Tsirtsis has wrestled the best at this weight this year but does have some losses. Jantzen is very dangerous and has an awesome crab ride. Tanelli is definitely capable of finals as well. I'll give it to Tsirtsis

149: Brent Metcalf vs. Darrion Caldwell WC's: Lance Palmer, Kyle Ruschell

IMO Metcalf dominates everyone. Caldwell does have the ability to catch him though, which he's proven. Palmer was the last one to keep it close with Metcalf, and Ruschell has been wrestling great this year. Metcalf wins easily giving Iowa 3 champs in a row.

157: Mike Poeta vs. Gregor Gillespie WC's: Jordan Burroughs, Jordan Leen

This is another extremely stacked weight with two former national champs. Poeta is personal favorite of mine who's definitely due for a title in his senior year, so I'm givin it to him. But you can't count out Gillespie(NCAA tech-fall leader), Burroughs, and Leen.

165: Mack Lewnes vs. Moza Fay WC's: Colt Sponsellor, Ryan Morningstar

Don't know much about 165 except that Lewnes is the consensus #1 so I'll give it to Lewnes.

174: Steve Luke vs. Michael Cannon WC's: Raymond Jordan, Jay Borschel

Steve Luke is the favorite to win this class but definitely not untouchable. Haven't heard much about Cannon, except that he won Midlands which is no easy feat. Jordan and Borschel are also definiely finals material. I'm gonna give it to Jordan because he's been tearin people up lately

184: Jake Herbert vs. Mike Pucillo WC's: none

Pucillo and Herbert are on a different level than everyone at this weight. However, I think this match will not be as close as most think. I think Herbert will win easily.

197: Jake Varner vs. Dallas Herbst WC's: Craig Brester, Max Askren

I think Varner will avenge his Midlands loss to Herbst and finally win a title after being runner-up two years in a row.

HWT: Jared Rosholt vs. Mark Ellis WC's: Dave Zabriskie, Konrad Dudziak

Rosholt is in kind of a slump lately but was wrestling better than anyone else at hwt before that. Ellis is currently ranked #1 and has proven he deserves it. Zabriskie owns a win over Rosholt and Dudziak is very dangerous former freestyler. I think Rosholt will get back on track and snag his 1st title.

Teams

1. Iowa

2. Iowa State

3. Nebraska

4. Cornell

5. Ohio State

Jaggers I don't think is even in the top ten this year. He's a different monster when it comes to the National tourney, I was just thinking of that after I posted it. He's lost alot of matches this year. Especially to unranked wrestlers. As for the Metcalf Caldwell, I just picked Caldwell because he's a very exciting wrestler. In reality I think Metcalf could tech anyone number 2 and below. The last person to hang with Metcalf was with Palmer in the quarters of last NCAA tournament. It's a toss up in my opion though from number 2 down Caldwell, Ruschell, Jenkins, and Palmer. BTW I checked the rankings and Jaggers is number 14 at 141.

Still. I'd think he would warrant your wild card. Talk about wild....yeah that's a good description of Jaggers.

Paul Donahoe vs. brandin precin

Jayson Ness vs. Daniel Dennis

Alex Tsirtsis vs. Gallick

brent metcalf vs kyle ruschell

Mike Poeta vs jordan leen

rematch from last year

Mack Lewnes vs Ryan Morningstar

Jay Borschel vs Steve Luke

jake herbert vs Mike Pucillo

Jake Varner vs max askren

HWT

Jared Rosholt vs Dave Zabriskie

the choice of kyle ruschell was a little bias but i think he can make it

125: Nickerson, Cornell vs. Donahoe, Edinboro  WC: Escobedo, Ind.

Nickerson looks huge for 125 and is the best wrestler in this weight class, but anything can happen and Donahoe wasn't expected to win it 2 years ago. Escobedo knows what it takes to win, but must wrestle better than he did last year and Nationals.

133: Dennis, Iowa vs. Kennedy, Illinois  WC: Gomez, MSU; Hochstrausser, Boise St.

This weight class has about 15 wrestlers who have a legitimate shot at winning, so it will be whoever wants it more. Gomez, Kennedy, and Dennis will have all seen each other at the Big Tens, so it will be interesting who wins at both tournaments. Hochstrausser has really impressed me lately and will be a dark horse in this weight class.

141: Tanelli, Wisconsin vs. Tsirtsis, Iowa  WC: Jantzen, Harv.; Jaggers, Ohio St.

Tanelli has looked unstoppable since the Midlands, but Tsirtsis is tough. It will be fun to see how Jantzen will perform wrestling the best competition he has all year and you can't count Jaggers out being as in he was the 6 seed last year and won it all. This is a tough weight class to predict.

149: Metcalf, Iowa vs. Caldwell, NC St.  WC: Ruschell, Wisc.

Should be a fun race for second. Caldwell looked good last year at nationals until he lost to Jenkins, but I think he can make finals this year. Like everyone else on this website I am biased on Ruschell, but he can make some noise if he wrestles better than he has the past 2 years.

157: Burroughs, Nebraska vs. Leen, Cornell  WC: Poeta, Ill.; Hall, Boise St.

Burroughs will be tough to beat because he is powerful and explosive, and long and flexible at the same time. Leen looked good at National Duals, Poeta is always good and look out for Hall. Gillespie hasn't impressed me this year, so I don't think he will be in the mix.

165: Reader, Iowa St. vs. Morningstar, Iowa  WC: Lewnes, Cornell; Dwyer, Neb.

Look for the upsets in this weight class. Morningstar has been flying under the radar and Reader shows up for the big dance. Lewnes will get upset, but Dwyer has been looking good. Also watch out for Moza Fay from N. Iowa. This weight class is like 133- wide open.

174: Luke, Michigan vs. Jordan, Missouri  WC: Cannon, Amer.; Borschel, Iowa

Luke has been waiting forever for his chance to come in number one, and he will take advantage of his opportunity. Jordan is built like Burroughs and can make a run. Borschel had a good showing last year and American is known for producing good upper-weights.

184: Herbert, Northwestern vs. Pucillo, Ohio St.  WC: Keddy, Iowa

Both finalists will have a clear shot to the finals, but when they get there it will be a dog fight. A lot will be determined the week before in the Conference tourney, but I think Herbert will get this one. Keddy is the only person with a slight chance of pulling an upset.

197: Varner, Iowa St. vs. Herbst, Wisconsin  WC: Askren, Missouri

Varner will win hands down IMO so the fight is for 2nd in this weight class. Herbst is getting better as the year goes on, and if Askren can finally show up for the NCAA tourney, he could be in the finals.

285: Zabriskie, Iowa St. vs. Rosholt, Okla. St.  WC: Ellis, Missouri; Massey, Wisc.

Rosholt will come to wrestle and Zabriskie has what it takes to get to finals. Close match, and it could be the team championship deciding match. Ellis, being ranked 1st is definitely a wild card and Massey can make a run at the title.

1: Iowa

2: Iowa St.

3: Cornell

4: Wisconsin

5: Missouri

Hodge: Metcalf, Iowa

Closest team race in a long time, and should be a really fun tournament to watch.

125: Nickerson, Cornell vs. Donahoe, Edinboro  WC: Escobedo, Ind.

Nickerson looks huge for 125 and is the best wrestler in this weight class, but anything can happen and Donahoe wasn't expected to win it 2 years ago. Escobedo knows what it takes to win, but must wrestle better than he did last year and Nationals.

133: Dennis, Iowa vs. Kennedy, Illinois  WC: Gomez, MSU; Hochstrausser, Boise St.

This weight class has about 15 wrestlers who have a legitimate shot at winning, so it will be whoever wants it more. Gomez, Kennedy, and Dennis will have all seen each other at the Big Tens, so it will be interesting who wins at both tournaments. Hochstrausser has really impressed me lately and will be a dark horse in this weight class.

141: Tanelli, Wisconsin vs. Tsirtsis, Iowa  WC: Jantzen, Harv.; Jaggers, Ohio St.

Tanelli has looked unstoppable since the Midlands, but Tsirtsis is tough. It will be fun to see how Jantzen will perform wrestling the best competition he has all year and you can't count Jaggers out being as in he was the 6 seed last year and won it all. This is a tough weight class to predict.

149: Metcalf, Iowa vs. Caldwell, NC St.  WC: Ruschell, Wisc.

Should be a fun race for second. Caldwell looked good last year at nationals until he lost to Jenkins, but I think he can make finals this year. Like everyone else on this website I am biased on Ruschell, but he can make some noise if he wrestles better than he has the past 2 years.

157: Burroughs, Nebraska vs. Leen, Cornell  WC: Poeta, Ill.; Hall, Boise St.

Burroughs will be tough to beat because he is powerful and explosive, and long and flexible at the same time. Leen looked good at National Duals, Poeta is always good and look out for Hall. Gillespie hasn't impressed me this year, so I don't think he will be in the mix.

165: Reader, Iowa St. vs. Morningstar, Iowa  WC: Lewnes, Cornell; Dwyer, Neb.

Look for the upsets in this weight class. Morningstar has been flying under the radar and Reader shows up for the big dance. Lewnes will get upset, but Dwyer has been looking good. Also watch out for Moza Fay from N. Iowa. This weight class is like 133- wide open.

174: Luke, Michigan vs. Jordan, Missouri  WC: Cannon, Amer.; Borschel, Iowa

Luke has been waiting forever for his chance to come in number one, and he will take advantage of his opportunity. Jordan is built like Burroughs and can make a run. Borschel had a good showing last year and American is known for producing good upper-weights.

184: Herbert, Northwestern vs. Pucillo, Ohio St.  WC: Keddy, Iowa

Both finalists will have a clear shot to the finals, but when they get there it will be a dog fight. A lot will be determined the week before in the Conference tourney, but I think Herbert will get this one. Keddy is the only person with a slight chance of pulling an upset.

197: Varner, Iowa St. vs. Herbst, Wisconsin  WC: Askren, Missouri

Varner will win hands down IMO so the fight is for 2nd in this weight class. Herbst is getting better as the year goes on, and if Askren can finally show up for the NCAA tourney, he could be in the finals.

285: Zabriskie, Iowa St. vs. Rosholt, Okla. St.  WC: Ellis, Missouri; Massey, Wisc.

Rosholt will come to wrestle and Zabriskie has what it takes to get to finals. Close match, and it could be the team championship deciding match. Ellis, being ranked 1st is definitely a wild card and Massey can make a run at the title.

1: Iowa

2: Iowa St.

3: Cornell

4: Wisconsin

5: Missouri

Hodge: Metcalf, Iowa

Closest team race in a long time, and should be a really fun tournament to watch.

What does Gillespie have to do to impress you? He's undefeated this season with 11 tech-falls

True freshman Andrew Howe got the Badgers back in front with a 9-3 decision over No. 16 Luke Manuel. Howe, who is ranked No. 8 for 165 lbs. had the 5-1 lead heading into the third period and scored a takedown and had 1:07 of riding time in the third for his 10th-straight victory. Andrew Howe is going to do alot of good things in the years to come. Seen him at the Indiana state tourny last year awsome.

I think you'll need to give Keddy from IA some love.  While he took a beating at the Midlands from Herbert their last match was 3-2 with Herbert surviving.  I saw the match and Herbert did just that, survived as he was gassed by the end of the match.  At NCAA's last year Keddy was like 15 seconds away from winning in the quarters and gives up a takedown.  After another year with Brands2 and Co I see Herbert as a clear favorite with Keddy beating Pucillo in the semi's.  In the finals Herbert will have improved conditioning and beat Keddy by four or five.

semis? I guess you figure they're not going to be 1-2 at the Big 10s this week.

If you're referring to Pucillo and Keddy then no.  Herbert will be the #1, Pucillo the #2 and Keddy #3 with Jordan Blanton from Illinois #4.  I'm taking Herbert with a major and Keddy with a 3 point decision in the semis and Herbert with a 5 point decision in the finals.  Then in the NCAA's a repeat of the semis just with Keddy winning by 1 and then Herbert winning by 2 in the finals.

125 Angel Escobedo (IU)

133 Reece Humphrey (OSU)

141 Alex Tsirtsis (Iowa)

149 Darrion Caldwell (N Carolina)

157 Jordan Burroughs (Nebraska)

165 Andrew Howe (Wisc)

174 Steve Luke (Mich)

184 Kirk Smith (Boise St)

197 Tyler Todd (Mich)

285 Kyle Massey (Wisc)

Donahoe (EDINSBORO) over Falck (IOWA), Nickerson (CORNELL) over Escobedo (INDIANA); Nickerson over Donahoe

Dennis (IOWA) over Gomez (ILLINOIS), Humphrey (OHIO STATE) over Grey (CORNELL); Dennis over Humphrey

Russell (MICHIGAN)  over Tsirtsis (IOWA), Gallick (IOWA STATE) over Tanelli (WISCONSIN); Russell over Gallick

Metcalf (IOWA) over Chinn (LEHIGH), Caldwell (NORTH CAROLINA STATE) over Saddoris (NAVY); Metcalf over Caldwell

Gillespie (EDINSBORO) over Sanderson (IOWA STATE), Poeta (ILLINOIS) over Leen (CORNELL); Poeta over Gillespie

Reader (IOWA STATE) over Sherfey (BOISE STATE), Mornigstar  (IOWA) over Dwyer (NEBRASKA); Morningstar over Reader

Luke  (MICHIGAN) over Lucas (HOFSTRA), Anceravage (CORNELL) over Brenner (WEST VIRGINIA); Luke over Anceravage

Herbert (NORTHWESTERN) over Jones (WEST VIRGINIA) , Pucillo (OHIO STATE) over Keddy (IOWA); Herbert over Pucillo

Todd (MICHIGAN) over Brester (NEBRASKA), Varner (IOWA STATE) over Bond (ILLINOIS); Varner over Todd

Wise (ILLINOIS) over Roshalt (OKLAHOMA STATE), Ellis (MISSOURI) over Porter (KENST STATE); Wise over Ellis