Sign in to follow this  
NOHS_wrestling

Help me with an Article for WrestlingUSA- Best teams in last decade

This is Rob Fulk, Head Coach out at North Oldham High School.  I am the state editor for wrestlingusa magazine.  They have asked me to write an article on the best teams over the past decade.  My deadline is Feb 6th.  I would like to open up the discussion to anyone who wants to post.  The format I have decided on is a simple top 10 list, with relevant information about each team.

Any helpful, non-antagonistic, constructive comments would be appreciated.  My intent as state editor is to be the best I can to continue to help grow our sport in the Commenwealth.

Are you looking for individual teams, such as South Oldham 2003, or overall programs, such as Woodford.

Programs highlighted with indivudual teams.  I'd liek to do 10

Top 3 consistantly

Top 3 new to the top of the pack

Top 3 up and coming programs

And 1 program that everyone wants to be beat.

I think that format would be an intresting article.

Based on that, here are my thoughts:

Best programs (since 2000, that's the data I have) - #1 is hands down Woodford.  They have scored 30% more points than any other team in the state over this period.  They have 4 state titles, 2 runner ups, and 3 thirds over those 9 seasons.  Add to that 21 individual state champs.  #2 I give to Larue because of their consistency near the top and their dual meet prowess.  Although they haven't been able to win a team championship, their average finish since 2000 is 5th.  #3 I will go with Ryle right now.  Again, they haven't pulled out a title, but average a 7th place finish and have produced 9 individual state champs (second to Woodford).  A close #4 and #5 are Campbell County (avg finish of 6 with 4 ind state champs) and South Oldham (avg finish of 9 with 8 ind state champs).

New to the pack (I'm thinking of teams new to challenging for the title):  #1 is definitely Union (2 time defending state champs, enough said).  #2 is Trinity (see expected results over the next couple years).  #3 I don't know.

Up and coming programs (completely new to the big boy scene):  #1 is John Hardin.  #2 Tates Creek.  #3 North Oldham.

Everyone loves to hate Woodford.

Programs highlighted with indivudual teams.  I'd liek to do 10

Top 3 consistantly-UNION, WOODFORD, RYLE

Top 3 new to the top of the pack-TRINITY, CAMBELL COUNTY, SENECA

Top 3 up and coming programs-NORTH OLDHAM, IROQOIUS, NELSON COUNTY

And 1 program that everyone wants to be beat.-LARUE COUNTY

I think that format would be an intresting article.

Althought it has been over about 35 to 40 years since being truly successful, I think it would be appropriate to put something in about KSB.  Maybe just a paragraph or side note.  It's amazing to me that they had that many individual state champs and even won at least 1 team title I know of.  How many years did they have multiple state champions?  You have to both respect and admire that.

Althought it has been over about 35 to 40 years since being truly successful, I think it would be appropriate to put something in about KSB.  Maybe just a paragraph or side note.  It's amazing to me that they had that many individual state champs and even won at least 1 team title I know of.  How many years did they have multiple state champions?  You have to both respect and admire that.

yes i was thinking the same thing like he could put an honorable mention of them (ksb) talking about how they overcome struggles and define persistence.

I could see putting ksb in there if it were referring to ALL-TIME, however, this is only in the last decade.

Here's How I would rank the top 10 teams of the decade:

Overall and Consistently Good Year after Year

1. Woodford County - Already said before. You could write an entire book on this team. Their ability to churn out champions year after year is amazing and even when you think there is no way they could place top 10 the next year... they are actually in the running for a state championship somehow.

2. Union County - They've turned out some really tough champions and were back to back state champions. This team is also a small school division. They deserve the bump on Larue because they've turned out more team championships this decade I think.

3. Larue County - Always tough and they really stand out in dual matches. This is an exciting team and their kids have really bought into the winning program. You should also mention that this is a small school team and deserves bonus points :D.

Honorable Mention (4-5): South Oldham or Campbell County - This is a close call. South had some really good teams in 2003 and 2006. There is probably another year or two this decade that they placed in the top 5. Campbell is in the same boat. Although South is inconsistently down this year and Campbell is up for the next few.

New to the top of the pack / Upcoming programs (this is kind of the same thing)

1. Trinity - this team is turning out some kids that are competitive on the national level and will be top 5 for the next 4+ years.

2. John Hardin - this team seems to be coming out of no where and surprising everyone. They will be competitive in the top 5 also.

3. Johnson Central - Call me crazy but this team has some VERY young talent that will be around for 4 years. I seem them in the running to win a state championship in 4 years. Top 10 until then. They've had some tough individuals step up like Cory Spencer. Either way, this team is new and was never close to being in the top 10 before lately.

I would have to give some props to Ryle somewhere, having (three?) kids wrestling at the D-1 level. Without a doubt more than any other single team in a very long time. This shows that they are capable of producing kids on an entirely different level.

The team that everyone wants to beat... Woodford. That's easy. Who wouldn't like to beat Woodford? Everyone wants to knock off the best. At state, it's not uncommon to see fans cheer when a Woodford boy gets beat, even when it isn't their team wrestling him.

Yeah, I like to give props to the small schools. Filling a line-up with 14 kids is a challenge... even for a large school in Kentucky. I'm not sure how Larue and Union are able to do it.

I agree Tates Creek is improving a lot and improving fast. But it will still take a lot before they become a state-dominant wrestling team.

Yeah, I like to give props to the small schools. Filling a line-up with 14 kids is a challenge... even for a large school in Kentucky. I'm not sure how Larue and Union are able to do it.

They probably only have 6 people on the basketball team.

Campbell co., South Oldham, Union Co., Ryle, Wayne Co., Trinity, Larue, St. X, Woodford Co., and either between Sheldon Clark or Simon Kenton as the numebr 10 spot. These are in no paticular order.

I could see putting ksb in there if it were referring to ALL-TIME, however, this is only in the last decade.

I did state that I knew it had been a long time & that's why I said maybe just a side note.  It's very respectable what they accomplished & I'm sure never really been known by anyone outside of the old regime.

I'd wait before throwin TC into the discussion. Finishing 2nd in the region is hardly worthy of mention...yet.  Let's see how they finish at state duals or the state tourney before mentioning them in the same breath with Union, Larue, Trinity etc.

Ryle in northern kentucky has become a state factor. They finished 2nd last year and are ranked 3rd right now.  They have won 7 individual championships in the last 4 years.  Not bad for a program that had it's first state champ only 10 years ago.

First off, the one thing everyone in the state can agree on is Woodford. No need to go any further. 

Secondly, if we are going for best team ever than you can't disagree that the 2003 South Oldham team was the best simply because they set the all time point record that still stands today.  As far as up and coming teams go I would have to say that Tates Creek has been a solid team for the last 5 years.  :lol: 

As well, I think that something should be mentioned to honor the NKAC, that group of teams is consistantly turning out state champs and placers more than any other region.

I'd wait before throwin TC into the discussion. Finishing 2nd in the region is hardly worthy of mention...yet.  Let's see how they finish at state duals or the state tourney before mentioning them in the same breath with Union, Larue, Trinity etc.

I didn't mention them with Union, Larue, or Trinity.  I simply think that they have made a huge jump over the last couple seasons.  What I have seen of them this year they are very competitive.  All of that puts them in the category of "new to the pack" in my book.