Sign in to follow this  
I-pinned-em-all

A Fallen Champ

Few if any of today's wrestlers remember the first Kentucky wrestling icon, Robbie Clarkston. Robbie remains Ky's "ONLY" 5 time state finalist and 4 time consecutive state champ. Robbie graduated from Conner High School in 1981 and wrestled under Coach Wayne Badida.

For those current wrestlers whose fathers wrestled in Ky, it is very likely they wrestled and lost to Robbie Clarkston at some point in their career. Robbie was a gentleman, an inspiration and larger than life man. Robbie died of brain cancer several years ago.

I was hoping to start a thread to reflect, remember and honor other fallen champs from Kentucky wrestling. Please provide funny stories, interesting facts, anything which places these fallen champs in the light they deserve.

Rob was "the man".  I remember everyone telling me to watch him when I first started.  The entire Conner team was fun to watch back then.  Here is my story on Mr. Clarkston. 

I started wrestling in 1980, I was just 10 years old, Rob was heading to college.  14 years had passed until we met again. I highly doubt if he ever knew who I was. 

I was fortunate enough to have made the US FS Team in 94 and compete in the U.S. Olympic Festival in St. Louis.  Our training and competition was at SIU Edwardsville, where Rob had resided.  After the 1st night of competition, we received our 2 minutes of glory and fame to sign T Shirts, autographs, etc.  This guy walked up to me and said " you probably don't remember me but I'm ..."  I replied "Rob Clarkston, everyone remembers Rob Clarkston" before he could say his name. 

He said he kept up with me through my college career as well as the others around the state.  Of course, we caught each other up to date on our lives and other small talk.  Just a few years later, Rob passed. But I will never forget that moment when he walked up to me. It was an honor to have known him and even better to know that he was following KY wrestling over the years.

A fallen champ that I new well was Strawn Nutter. !983 155 champ and MOW from Boone County. Great guy! He died as a firefighter for Louisville as a result of an arson. He was also a marine. He was doing what he always did. Helping others without thinking of himself.

IPEA, Ironically just last night me and other fmr wrestlers were talking about Robbie just last night on his dediction to the sport and the class act that he was.

During my sophomore year, I wrestled Straun Nutter as a senior. I should call him Strong Nutter. Straun was one of the nicest guys I think I have ever met. On the mat, he was one of the greatest, all business.  I believe Straun was Boone County high school's last state champion.  No doubt Straun was a hero.

Here is a list of Boone County's state champions.

Nie, 167 1st

McDaniels, Mike 138 1st

Mulcahy, Andy 132 1st

Robb, Kevin 138 1st

Nutter, Strawn        155 MVW 1st

Blackmore, Brett 135 1st

Stawn was one of the greatest on and off the mat.

Boone Co. only MVW (I think I am correct about this.

As you can see there was one more state champion after Mr. Nutter.  Brett Blackmore in 1993.  The only reason they had a team that year was because of him.  After that year they dropped the team.

It was about 6PM.  Wrestling practice had ended and I was still two pounds over weight.  I was a little 7 th grader.  I headed out to the gym to run laps.  The gym was empty.  I had about two laps in and Robbie joined me.  I asked him how much he was over.  He said he was not over weight.  He just didn't want me running alone.  Imagine a lowly 7th grader and this 2 time state champ (at the time) Jr. cared enough to help me make weight.  That is something that will be with me forever.  Nobody was around.  Nobody knew what he was doing for me.  Don't be like Mike.  Be like Robbie!  There is some Robbie in many people he touched.  They in turn pass that on to their children.  Robbie will be around a long, long time.

Right before my state championship match my junior year, Robbie came up to me and held out his hand, but not for me to shake. His hand was palm up. He said, "now is the time you show this guy your hand" (implying to a card game of poker). "Show him your 4 Aces. Don't be fancy, don't be scared, just give him the best you've got. Your 4 aces against his 4 aces." "Best hand, best man wins"

I can't tell you how many times I have said that to my son and other kids. "4 aces, show him your best hand"!

Robbie was a pretty cool guy, a very large void remains when we lost Robbie.

Jamie Baugh (SK) was another great champion.  He was their first SC.   

Jamie Baugh was a great wrestler and individual.  He was never snub on or off the mat.  I had some battles with him over the years.  He was a year younger than me.  He would beat me early in a close match then I would defeat him later in the year in another close match.

After graduation I met up with him several times with kids who were injured and he helped out those kids with getting Dr. appointments and supplies.  Great individual had heart of gold.