Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings - 2008/2009 PRESEASON OCT 1

OH but Danger it does pertain to this season.  This is the second time in two years that a returning state champion will not be wrestling his senior year. 

To me this is very disturbing. 

State champions do not just represent the wrestling quality of Ky.  They also represent the sport and all it stands for. 

We pride ourselves as being wrestlers. 

--Like all athletes you must keep your grades up and stay out of trouble.

But above this----

--We tell everyone to be a wrestler you have to defeat your own demons before you can defeat the person in front on you. 

--You must be strong willed, to make weight every wed. and sat. 

--You must be extremely well dedicated to give 4-5 days a week 2-3 hours a day in the wrestling room

--2-3 more on Wed. and 12+ hours on a saturday

--And to top it all off you must do this without the accolades that the basketball players recieves for playing 10 minutes in each game, or the football player who only plays half the game either on offense or defense. 

I don't know what the reason that Coate is not wrestling or Wolsiefer did not wrestle, nor do I particularly care (not trying to be rude)

What I do care about is that state champions are suppose to be bigger than life, looked up to by the younger wrestlers.  Show them how to be a champion, and do it gracefully.  And (if they have not graduated) try to defend that title with sportsmanship. Such as Courtney has and Sullivan tried to do (showing good sportsmanship in defeat).

A returning state champion not defending his title changes everything.  Many wrestlers and teams look at weight classes to decide which would best fit that wrestler, and who is returning many times helps them make that decision.

With that said I hope the best for you Choate, and I hope whatever is keeping you from wrestling this year does not affect what is most important, your education and future career. 

stephen norbury is going 125 again he's a weight cutting machine and is in the 30's already and matt neal when he gets off his probation will be able to wrestle he supposeably punched a police officer and fled the scene of the crime he's still got quite a few community service hours left to do and then he'll be at practice

stephen norbury is going 125 again he's a weight cutting machine and is in the 30's already and matt neal when he gets off his probation will be able to wrestle he supposeably punched a police officer and fled the scene of the crime he's still got quite a few community service hours left to do and then he'll be at practice

Well, atleast you didn't spread his business around the internet. lol

But it's final, i'll be wrestling 152. 100% sure.

Duncan Caddell of Whitley Co. is going to wrestle in the 130lb. weight class.  I'm his brother, so this information is accurate.  I think that he will do good in 130.  He has been hiting the weights and he is a beast. He will definatilly be someone to watch throughtout the season. He's definatilly a top contender. :-D :-D :-D

Duncan Caddell of Whitley Co. is going to wrestle in the 130lb. weight class.  I'm his brother, so this information is accurate.  I think that he will do good in 130.  He has been hiting the weights and he is a beast. He will definatilly be someone to watch throughtout the season. He's definatilly a top contender. :-D :-D :-D

coming from his brother

You do realize that just hitting the weights will not improve his chances of being a state chapion don't you?

It may actually be the least affective thing you can do.  Technique, experience(through summer wrestling) and conditioning trumps this almost every time. 

I would say to watch Tre Such from Fort Campbell at 135/140

He was Zack Bontrager's partner last year and saw vast improvment. Near the end of the year he had very good technique.

His conditioning and atheleticism is incredible. He competed at Boxing and Judo Internationals this summer. Placing 3rd in Boxing and Top 10 in Judo.

I know Boxing is far from wrestling but it shows how great of an athelete he is.

You do realize that just hitting the weights will not improve his chances of being a state chapion don't you?

It may actually be the least affective thing you can do.  Technique, experience(through summer wrestling) and conditioning trumps this almost every time. 

If you had ever watched him wrestle before, you would know that his experience and technique is solid.  His conditioning isn't perfect, but he's training hard and I'd say he is conditioned as well as any other wrestler is right now.  Once he gets into his peek condition, he will be hard to handle. 

coming from his brother

I don't want to be a jerk, so I"m not going to say anything mean.  You may think that I"m wrong, but I guess we will just have to watch him and see.  I CAN'T WAIT TO PROVE YOU WRONG :evil: :evil: :evil:

I don't want to be a jerk, so I"m not going to say anything mean.  You may think that I"m wrong, but I guess we will just have to watch him and see.  I CAN'T WAIT TO PROVE YOU WRONG :evil: :evil: :evil:

so you're saying that he's gonna go from not being ranked at all at 125 or 130, to being a top contender?

to be a state champ you don't need strength you need technique and heart shane parks proved that last year he wasn't all that strong but he was smarter than anyone else he wrestled

To be the best you need the whole package - mental (conditioning and technique), Endurance, & Strength.  Obviously Wrestling is 90% mental, but having the other two is quite necessary when looking toward something higher than a state championship (Nationals, College, Worlds, Olympics).  I'm sure you do not see a glitch in any of the three when looking at Dan Gable and Cael Sanderson.

A lot of people will have problems with Davis' and his takedowns and stamina.  He has an engine that never stops.  Unless Shotwells conditioning has gotten better, it has the potential not to be close.  He won the state finals smiling and full of energy.

To be the best you need the whole package - mental (conditioning and technique), Endurance, & Strength.  Obviously Wrestling is 90% mental, but having the other two is quite necessary when looking toward something higher than a state championship (Nationals, College, Worlds, Olympics).  I'm sure you do not see a glitch in any of the three when looking at Dan Gable and Cael Sanderson.

And John Smith

A lot of people will have problems with Davis' and his takedowns and stamina.  He has an engine that never stops.  Unless Shotwells conditioning has gotten better, it has the potential not to be close.  He won the state finals smiling and full of energy.

This may be true but he was not smilling and full of energy in his match against Brown.  And I do believe Shotwell is a little better than Brown. And now that Brown has seen and experienced Davis' ability.  He and his coaching staff (probably one of the top 5 greatest ever in KY), will come up with a game plan to defeat him.

I know it may not be easy but all you have to do is slow Davis down.  Tie him up and make his speed ineffective.  I believe Shotwell has the ability to do this if needed.  As for conditioning I'm not sure why you believe that he is not in shape.  I have not seen him winded in any of his matches. 

I am not the biggest Justin Davis fan, but I do believe he could beat Shotwell.  Davis seems like he gets better every match.  I think this will be his 3rd year of wrestling this year. Is it fair to think that maybe we havn't even seen how good Davis is going to be yet?  It is going to be interesting to see these two match up.  I hope the match does happen.  Anyone know what the outcomes usually are when Shotwell and Brown go at it in practice?

I am speaking of the Shotwell/ Thomas semis match at state.  Shotwell was out of energy.  I will take blame for the outcome becuase I think it should have been Thomas and Peace in the finals again.  Looking back, we could have picked different putting it in overtime or taking the match.  I take may hat off to Shotwell because he did what was needed to pull it out but it was barely.  Looking at Davis and Thomas, I have not seen too many to pick it up as fast as they have with no prior experience or exposure.