Sign in to follow this  
TCmma

Ky wrestler now Ultimate fighter

Allen browning now known as Junie browning wrestled for bourbon county and will be on the ultimate fighter 8 mir vs. nogeria. He is a bad dude and still resided in lexington. I train with him at 4 seasons mma and im the 140 at tates creek if you have any questions. the show starts september 17th

zack bontrager from fort campbell is in the mma now

I've been training for almost 7 years now. Wish I was as good a wrestler as I am a fighter. lol

I admit that I love watching the UFC/MMA. However, I contend that it is bad for high school wrestling and has no place on this board for High School Wrestling.

tiltfor3 how is mma or ufc bad for high school wrestling.  In my opinion it may be what saves it.  Wrestling has always had the problem of no professional sport.  It has been tried and failed (Real Pro Wrestling).  This gives kids who don't have a family background in wrestling an interest in it. 

I have talked to many people who are training in MMA.  Most have everything they need except a wresting background.  Most say that those with wrestling backgrounds make the best MMA fighters.  If this is true then it gives high school wrestlers an avenue to follow after their high school and or college career.

oh yes he di-ad

and i agree 100% with grappler of old

i've heard that from just about every fighter i know. if you can't wrestle u won't servive in any mma fight which pushes kids who want to be fighters into wrestling which in turn makes our sport grow.

zack bontrager from fort campbell is in the mma now

Ya he is 2-0. But I think he isn't fighting right now. He is going to VMA and might actually be varsity his Freshman year in Wrestling. I think he said he is going to start fighting again after he graduates

Browning did really well last night and was getting big props from the coaches along with the Pres. D White.  Glad to see a Kentucky boy on there that is good.  A couple of years ago they had a young man from Fort Knox on there but he really wasn't anything to brag about.

The kid did really well.  Dana White really likes him.  White said that in tryouts (not last night) Browning asked him how he wanted him to finish his opponent.  White told him triangle.  White said that Browning put his guy in a triangle, waved to White and then pulled the guys head down to finish.  Browning did make one statement that worries me a little though.  He said, "I here there's free alcohol in the house, that's not good".  Hopefully Browning has watched past shows and knows that he could really mess things up if he overindulges.  Anyhow, really cool to see another KY kid on the show.

anyone know, what he placed when he was wrestling in high school?

In 2003 he went 2-2 at 160.  That was in the first days of the Bourbon County program and he didn't get a chance to really develop before he graduated.  His brother did pretty well.  Robbie had a real funky style.  He finished 4th at 140 in 2004.

tiltfor3 how is mma or ufc bad for high school wrestling.  In my opinion it may be what saves it.  Wrestling has always had the problem of no professional sport.  It has been tried and failed (Real Pro Wrestling).  This gives kids who don't have a family background in wrestling an interest in it. 

I have talked to many people who are training in MMA.  Most have everything they need except a wresting background.  Most say that those with wrestling backgrounds make the best MMA fighters.  If this is true then it gives high school wrestlers an avenue to follow after their high school and or college career.

First off wrestling doesn't need to be saved, maybe KY wrestling does.  Wrestlers don't need this kind of motivation, I suspect you used to wrestle for the medals and trophies.  Knowing I was the best was always enough for me.

First off wrestling doesn't need to be saved, maybe KY wrestling does.  Wrestlers don't need this kind of motivation, I suspect you used to wrestle for the medals and trophies.  Knowing I was the best was always enough for me.

so basically you never had enough, haha

but seriously where did you come off saying that he use to wrestle for the medals, that doesnt make sense

and he was right, those who are wrestlers at heart need something to do after highschool and college and mma is the perfect thing for it.

WOW :roll:  One of three things have happened here.

either

1.  You totally misinterpreted my post

2.  You just want to get me started

Or

3.  Your a mental midget.

To clarify my statement and answer your questions.

1.  Being saved may be a strong statement, but.  More and more kids are turning to basketball because there is something after college.  (unless you go to WWE or TNA).  If you look at my post closely it states. "Gives wrestlers something to do after college". 

2.  MMA, and the such will get more kids involved, so that they become wrestlers.  I did not have a family full of wrestlers (only 1 before me), and was lucky that I stumbled across it as a 9th grader.  I have now gotten several of my family members to wrestle.  You can't find out how great the sport it if you don't experience it. 

3.  I will give you this "WRESTLERS" don't need this kind of motivation, but they do need an outlet for their wrestling needs after high school or college. 

4.  Yes I do like shiny things.  I have made several wind chimes out of my medals and have them hung in my room.  I turn the ceiling fan on and listen to them every night, its how I get to sleep at night.  I have a wrestling trophy screwed down tight on every end table and use one of my MOW as a center piece at the dinning room table.

5.  Knowing you were the best?  Oh I get it now, you relish in your victories, bragged about them while in high school. And still brag about them now after years has passed.  Your one of those adults who can't live past their high school days, because they are the greatest days of their life. 

Oh and before I forget.  I already know I

I didn't mean to strike a nerve.  Your top three reasons were correct, especially my mental height.  I guess I do agree with you about the need to get the sport some exposure, although wrestling has been growing (maybe mma/ufc related)http://www.hswrestling.net/high-school-wrestling-participation-is-up/.  I guess we just come from different places and have different viewpoints about wrestling and what it means to us.  I do appoligize that it came out so harshly.

Lastly, I am way too busy trying to figure out how to raise two boys, pay a mortgage and put $4.00 gas in my cars to even think about my college wrestling days much less brag about my high school ones.  I enjoyed the glory days and my sons enjoy the old movies, but that's about it.  You missed my point about winning, some states give you the bracket sheet, that's it.

Ahh how nice it is to finally get someone who can take it as well as dish it.  :evil:

I little fun never hurt anyone, especially if you can mix some seriousness into the mix.

No harm no foul.  Ya made me smile  :-D

C'mere "Clancy" and let big ole GOO give you a bear-hug  :-D :lol:

4.  Yes I do like shiny things.  I have made several wind chimes out of my medals and have them hung in my room.  I turn the ceiling fan on and listen to them every night, its how I get to sleep at night.  I have a wrestling trophy screwed down tight on every end table and use one of my MOW as a center piece at the dinning room table.

We are the same, you and I.  :-D

Ahh how nice it is to finally get someone who can take it as well as dish it.   :evil:

I little fun never hurt anyone, especially if you can mix some seriousness into the mix.

No harm no foul.  Ya made me smile  :-D

C'mere "Clancy" and let big ole GOO give you a bear-hug  :-D :lol:

Ohh, now nothing like a nice bid bear hug on a chilly Sunday morning, thanks. :wink:

Ok, now that I have accepted the fact that the Bengals aren't gonna win a game this year, I can get back on the subject.

I do agree that the mma/ufc phenom is good for the numbers of wrestling.  However, I am a little leery of some of the motivation for kids to get involved in wrestling based on the mma popularity.  Some of the things taught in mma are extremely dangerous, and these moves can be done by anyone to anyone.  A sixteen year old (give or take) doesn't have the maturity to know when self-defense becomes assualt or worse.  And this isn't only for h.s. kids, there is a certain level of responsibilty with knowing how to break an arm/leg/neck/etc, or choke someone to death (see Jennifer Evans).  I know this is deep, but I do worry about someone being severely injured or worse.