Sign in to follow this  
130alum

Getting practice as a referee

I know it's still awhile before wrestlers can hit the mat again, but I was wondering if any coaches in Louisville would let me (or other young refs) come in and ref wrestle-offs. This will be my 2nd year reffing, and I was only able to get 1 job reffing over the summer, so I'd like to brush up on my reffing skills before the season starts again. Just send me a message with your thoughts about reffing your wrestle-offs and your contact information so I can reach you once the season starts. This will be good for both the referees (because practice makes perfect) and wrestlers because they will get a better feel for how a referee will officiate the matches.

I think it would be good for any other refs on here who need practice to post a similar thread. Hopefully with the support of coaches we can improve the quality and longevity of referees in the state of Kentucky. I know a couple of former young referees who quit reffing because they made a lot of mistakes in their first couple matches, got ripped a good one by the coaches, and quit because of that. With practice comes better reffing, less griping from coaches and wrestlers alike, and ultimately an overall improvement in the quality of Kentucky wrestling.

Good idea, and be sure to ask about scrimmages too.  Just about every team uses their two scrimmages so that's a lot of matches going on a few weeks before actual matches start.