skyoneer

Most outstanding 7th Graders in khsaa

Johnson Central had a 7th grader at 171lb that didnt place but was very impressive lost to Alex Meads 11-9. Just qualifing at that higher weight is quite an acomplishment for a kid that young.

- Place Winners -                                            - Place Winners -

1st Corey Spencer JOHN                (12)    5-  0        5th Ross Carpenter MONT                (12)    4-  2

2nd Travis Sullivan WAYN              (12)    4-  1        6th Daniel Wiexler FERN                (12)    4-  3

3rd Dan Smith TRIN                    (12)    7-  1        7th Andy Lenz HARC                    (11)    4-  2

4th Michael Osborne RYLE              (10)    4-  2        8th Isaac Thomas UNIO                  (10)    4-  3

Cooper won his 1st match against John Ritchie LCC by pin 3:35,

Won his second match against Kyle Terry 5-3

Lost to Ross Carpenter Mont (fall 0:47)

Lost next match in consos to Issac Thomas UC 5-3

One match from placing.

the only other 2 possibilities i can think of are willie ennels & joe carr junior.  didn't ennels place as a 7th grader at like 140?  i believe it was like 88 he might have done this??  if he didn't place, i think he was pretty close.  that boy was like a caged animal.

i mention joe carr jr, because wasn't he a state champ as an 8th grader?  If he didn't place as a 7th grader it was probably because he was stuck in a weight class behind a 2X state champ or weighed like 80 lbs.

- Place Winners -                                             - Place Winners -

1st Corey Spencer JOHN                 (12)     5-  0         5th Ross Carpenter MONT                (12)     4-  2

2nd Travis Sullivan WAYN               (12)     4-  1         6th Daniel Wiexler FERN                (12)     4-  3

3rd Dan Smith TRIN                     (12)     7-  1         7th Andy Lenz HARC                     (11)     4-  2

4th Michael Osborne RYLE               (10)     4-  2         8th Isaac Thomas UNIO                  (10)     4-  3

Cooper won his 1st match against John Ritchie LCC by pin 3:35,

Won his second match against Kyle Terry 5-3

Lost to Ross Carpenter Mont (fall 0:47)

Lost next match in consos to Issac Thomas UC 5-3

One match from placing.

Dang. I don't know why I keep thinking he placed. I could've swore we had a whole discussion on here about how impressive it was that he placed [as a middle schooler] in a weight class that wasn't 103. Guess i'm remembering wrong.

I quickly looked through my records and this is what I have found.

Troy was at the state tourney his 7th grade year but they did not place past top 6 that year. Returned and placed

8th grade-2nd

Fresh-4th

Soph-1st

Jr-1st (MVW)

Sr. 2nd

Joe Carr was not varsity his 7th grade Cody Stewart was Vasity 103 (Did not place)

Harrison Courtney placed 8th at 119 his 7th grade year, 3rd his 8th grade (We know the rest)

Sullivan did not place as a 7th grader

Ennels was not at the state tourney his 7th grade year (1987) Was

5th as an 8th grader

Fresh-1st

Soph-2nd

Jr.-1st

Sr.-1st MVW

So far what I have found is LIvingston Merritt. Starting in 1992

7th grade-5th at 140

8th grade-4th at 152

9th grade-3rd at 189

10th grade-1st at 215

11th grade-1st at 215

12th grade-1st at Hwt (I think he went Hwt so that Josh Pniewski could wrestle 215.)

Is there anyone else that could possibly be a placer in 7th grade?

bulldog-leader, you're like a walking encylopedia on kentucky wrestling.  i think i got merritt & ennels mixed up, i remember merritt his senior year, and you literally feared for the safety of his opponents.  both those guys were awesome wreslters, but those merritt brothers were just physical brutes.  Taking 3rd in the state at 189 as a freshman is very impressive.

i mentioned troy cole placing 7th as a 7th grader, because even though they only placed top 4 back then...7th would be a medal these days.  not sure how you compare the different generations, but any way you slice it, he was top 8 in the state as a 7th grader. 

It is hard to say since the brackets were only 16 man back then.  Remember this is my time.  We took top 4 from District to regional tourney.  Top 4 from region went to state.

You only had to win 1 or 2 matches (depending on where you win them) to get in the spot that is not 7th or 8th.  With that said (Cole was an great wrestler maybe one of the best from Ky)

As for the encyclopedia comment. Thanks I have worked at recording all the state tourneys. I need only 1964-1970 to finish my collection, and I may be getting them soon from Mr. J. Thackett, and yes I have shared all my information with the state/Julian Thacket so that it can be recorded and displayed at some time.

• Upvote 1

I am positive he did not place as a 7th grader.  Cody Stewart was Woodford Co. 103 that year.  He qualified for the state tourney but did not place.

You must remember that Joe wrestled 103 his 8th grade year. He then went to 119 and lost in the finals to Greg Woodrung from Union Co.

Bulldog-leader is right.  Joe won the spot early on in the year and then lost in a later wrestle-off.  Cody qualified for state I believe but did not place.

Dusty placed 8th in 2005.  This would make this his 8th grade year.  He qualified for state his 7th grade year but did not place.

1992 was the year that Joe Carr was a 7th grader and Cody Steward wrestled at the state tourney for WC.