Sign in to follow this  
snapdown133

Styles from state to state

Maybe someone can help me out with this, I just moved into the area and i've noticed some differences in the wrestling technique from state to state.  I am from Georgia and we were always taught to wrestle a very heavy handed style that focused for on moving an opponent into a setup on their feet and less on basic head popping for a shot.  From top i've noticed that leg riding is a big favorite and from what I have observed so far only a few top level wrestlers in the state have any real technique and most others seem to be stalling.  I really don't see much crab riding or kids learning how to run a legit bar series.  I understand that it's really just a conflict in styles (mine for one) but I have yet to see more than 2 types of tilts in any one match.  There again I have not been in Ky that long.  From the bottom position I see kids trying to sit out like there in middle school and simply stalling on bottom, what ever happened to a nice explosive stand-up... back pressure, wrist control, cut out, and re-shoot.  Let me know what your opinions are on the topic so that I can better understand what county I need to move into to get a quality coach for my kid.  :?

You have made a very interesting comment....What school will you be attending next year?

Below are points scored (according to state) at Fargo this past weekend.  this will give you an insight to the wrestling in kentucky.

Total All-American Points

1st Pennsylvania 523

2nd Ohio 476

3rd New Jersey 427

4th Illinois 390

5th Iowa 349

6th Missouri 339

7th Minnesota 295

8th California 292

9th Oklahoma 204

10th New York 203

11th Washington 191

12th Oregon 185

13th Michigan 176

14th Indiana 171

15th Kansas 164

16th Colorado 130

17th Utah 112

18th Florida 109

19th Idaho 107

20th Wisconsin 103

21st Virginia 89

22nd Delaware 80

23rd Maryland 69

24th Texas 66

25th Nebraska 51

26th (t) Georgia 48

Montana 48

28th Arizona 41

29th Massachusetts 35

30th New Mexico 34

31st North Carolina 32

32nd North Dakota 30

33rd Connecticut 29

34th West Virginia 27

35th Alabama 21

36th South Dakota 19

37th Wyoming 18

38th Puerto Rico 14

39th Alaska 12

40th Rhode Island 9

41st Hawaii 8

42nd (t) Louisiana 6

South Carolina 6

Tennessee 6

45th Armed Forces 5

46th (t) Maine 4

Nevada 4

48th Team Okinawa 2

49th (t) Arkansas 0

Guam 0

Kentucky 0

Mississippi 0

New Hampshire 0

Vermont 0

Man I guess Ky wrestling has a little room for improvement...hopefully by the time my son is old enough to wrestle in high school the results will be different.  Thank you for the information. 

I understand that wrestling is still a new sport in Ky and i'm not trying to downplay the talent here. I can't wait to see how this season pans out, I missed the first part of the season due to my move here so i'm ready for the season to begin.

Snapdown:  Where do you live?  My kids are out of high school now, but my three sons wrestled in Missouri, Tennessee and Kentucky, and in tournaments in those states plus Alabama, Indiana, Georgia, West Virginia, Ohio, Illinois and Oklahoma.  You are correct, there are a handful of top wrestlers with "excellent" technique, especially running a series of moves from the neutral, top or bottom positions.  My kids had been wrestling since they were 4 or 5 years old when they hit high school, which is the norm in most wrestling states (except perhaps for the big guys).  Not so much in Kentucky, with the exception of a few programs like Union County, who wrestle their younger kids in southern Indiana in AAU and USA tournaments.

If you let us know generally where you live, I could let you know who I think are top technicians and teachers.  There are a few good programs with coaches that have D1 background.  Several of these programs take their kids out of state during the season.

Snapdown:  Where do you live?  My kids are out of high school now, but my three sons wrestled in Missouri, Tennessee and Kentucky, and in tournaments in those states plus Alabama, Indiana, Georgia, West Virginia, Ohio, Illinois and Oklahoma.  You are correct, there are a handful of top wrestlers with "excellent" technique, especially running a series of moves from the neutral, top or bottom positions.  My kids had been wrestling since they were 4 or 5 years old when they hit high school, which is the norm in most wrestling states (except perhaps for the big guys).  Not so much in Kentucky, with the exception of a few programs like Union County, who wrestle their younger kids in southern Indiana in AAU and USA tournaments.

If you let us know generally where you live, I could let you know who I think are top technicians and teachers.  There are a few good programs with coaches that have D1 background.  Several of these programs take their kids out of state during the season.

Woops... sorry hit the wrong button.

My wife and I have just relocated on the Meade - Breckinridge county area.  Our property straddles the west side of Meade County.  We know that there is a program in the works at Meade Co. but we don't know how long we will stay in this area.  We may be looking to relocate to an area that in the next few years in order to get him off on the right foot.  I myself wrestled middle thru college and can't wait till he is old enough to get on the mat.  Any info about top programs in the state would be very helpful.  Thank you

you may want ot look at the no-ox program (club) in northern hardin/ vine grove  area. Joe B. teaches the style of wrestling you like. some very good wrestlers work with him - alot of the  central and john hardin wrestlers work with him.

Woops... sorry hit the wrong button.

My wife and I have just relocated on the Meade - Breckinridge county area.  Our property straddles the west side of Meade County.  We know that there is a program in the works at Meade Co. but we don't know how long we will stay in this area.  We may be looking to relocate to an area that in the next few years in order to get him off on the right foot.  I myself wrestled middle thru college and can't wait till he is old enough to get on the mat.  Any info about top programs in the state would be very helpful.  Thank you

If Jr. is really young then you have time. 

My recomendation would be.

1.  Go to as many local events as possible.  That part of the state has a tourney close by (withing 1 hour) almost every weekend. 

2.  Go to some tourneys in other parts of the state in which you may be interested in re-locating.

3.  Go to the State duals tourney held in Lexington every year.

4.  Go to the local regional tourney and most definately go to the state tourney.

5.  If you would like to stay put volunteer your time at Meade Co. or whichever team you think he may attend.  If you have that amount of experience then they would love to have help.

Dates and most times can be found on this site when the season gets started.

If Jr. is really young then you have time. 

My recomendation would be.

1.  Go to as many local events as possible.  That part of the state has a tourney close by (withing 1 hour) almost every weekend. 

2.  Go to some tourneys in other parts of the state in which you may be interested in re-locating.

3.  Go to the State duals tourney held in Lexington every year.

4.  Go to the local regional tourney and most definately go to the state tourney.

5.  If you would like to stay put volunteer your time at Meade Co. or whichever team you think he may attend.  If you have that amount of experience then they would love to have help.

Dates and most times can be found on this site when the season gets started.

Excellent information and advice.  I will find out who the Head Coach of Meade is and see if he would like some help. Worst case scenario, I burn a little gut off!  Thanks again

If you can move to a new home, I would go south of E-Town to Hodgenville.  The coaches at Larue County, although a smaller school, are some of the best in Kentucky.  I think you would be satisfied with North Hardin and their staff as well.  Both have active youth programs to support the high school.  Otherwise, you could drive up across the river to Corydon, IN, they have some good coaches as well. 

well idk i think ky has been doin good lately we have kyle rechell, myron bradbury, mason reid, brian piece, harrison courtny, matt zarth, and way back in the day nate carr and sullivan with the highest winning record in high score history anywhere