Olympic_wish

Suit claims student attacked

It always looks bad when someone is looking for money in a suit.

Being that he is or was a coach at Oldham Co. makes it look even more suspicious.  

At first glance this article looks bad for the Badon kid.  But we were not there so know what exactly happened.

As for the post it sure does not need to be double posted "Olympic Wish".  This definately looks like you have something out for SO or their coach.

P.S.  I removed the second posting.

None of us, for the most part, were in the mat room when this happened. But we all know how stuff goes in the mat room. We beat the hell out of each other and do stupid, unnecessary things. That's how it is. You might get pantsed, punched, titty twistered, or even put in a choke hold. I'm not sayin' it's right, but it happens in about 99% of the mat rooms across the state. I hate to use the old "Boys will be boys" cop out defense but that's probably the case.

I can't agree with Danger more...  I am not saying that it's right to haze anyone however it happens in all sports.  Wrestler's get a bad reputation due to the physical nature of the sport.  Just my opinion but it sounds like someone is looking to get paid.  The head coach could have done a better job of following up on a wrestler after being hazed (provided he was even aware of the incident at the time) and making sure is was handled in house.  In the coaches defense, how was he to know that a kid would be so upset to tell his parents of a little rough housing in a WRESTLING room.  That being said, I was not there and I do not have all the facts.

It always looks bad when someone is looking for money in a suit.

It may look bad, but I've known his dad (Doug) for a number of years and definitely consider him an honorable person.  I don't think the "family" would have been looking to get paid, maybe once the lawyers got involved....things seem to change then.  As far as is this right or wrong and the whole "boys will be boys", I know where you are coming from, this does happen all the time.  But like Danger said, it doesn't make it right. 

I doubt Hunter was harmed all that much, but who knows.  I hope to God there wasn't truly bad medical issues caused by this.  If he didn't lose too many brain cells, then the real harm is that Cody Laseigne & the others brought bad publicity to a sport that can't afford any.  Hazing is probably worse in football i think, but guys....think of the higher good before you start hazing kids on your team.  So next time you're seeing that kid with the really hairy butt cheeks getting dressed in the locker room, and you're thinking how cool it would be to tape his cheeks together....just remember the wrestler in the breakfast club....don't do it!! 

It may look bad, but I've known his dad (Doug) for a number of years and definitely consider him an honorable person.  I don't think the "family" would have been looking to get paid, maybe once the lawyers got involved....things seem to change then.  As far as is this right or wrong and the whole "boys will be boys", I know where you are coming from, this does happen all the time.  But like Danger said, it doesn't make it right. 

I heard so many stories growing up about wrestlers choking things.  Matt Shotwell from Conner was legendary at choking things.  I even heard one story about him choking his pet chicken in front of the horrified wrestling team!!  Matt Shotwell - you are one sick puppy!!

I doubt Hunter was harmed all that much, but who knows.  I hope to God there wasn't truly bad medical issues caused by this.  If he didn't lose too many brain cells, then the real harm is that Cody Laseigne & the others brought bad publicity to a sport that can't afford any.  Hazing is probably worse in football i think, but guys....think of the higher good before you start hazing kids on your team.  So next time you're seeing that kid with the really hairy butt cheeks getting dressed in the locker room, and you're thinking how cool it would be to tape his cheeks together....just remember the wrestler in the breakfast club....don't do it!! 

SHOTWELL CHOKED HIS CHICKEN?!?!?!?! EEWWW

Come on now Danger you chicken farmer you, don't act like you've not snuck out and choked a few of them out in the coop yourself.

...you got me... :-o

This should be a wakeup call to everyone in all sports.  Number 1 it shoudn't be going on period. I do know that it will happen at times but as coaches and staff they should make it policy from the start that it won't be tolerated.  Then when it does happen you stand up on the side of the rules and take appropriate action. You don't give the kid that got abused a hard time and then pat the abusers on the back and say now don't do that again little johnnie.

This should be a wakeup call to everyone in all sports.  Number 1 it shoudn't be going on period. I do know that it will happen at times but as coaches and staff they should make it policy from the start that it won't be tolerated.  Then when it does happen you stand up on the side of the rules and take appropriate action. You don't give the kid that got abused a hard time and then pat the abusers on the back and say now don't do that again little johnnie.

....its wrestling,

sounds to me like the kid just couldnt take the sport.

i also find it suspicious that this case is just now getting brought up instead of months ago when it happened

First off: Hazing, harassment, chocking out, or submission holds, whatever you want to call it, is not wrestling or part of the sport. Playing around and goofing off is part of being a kid, but somewhere there is a line drawn between playing around and harassment.

In the article it is said, "caused emotional distress, severe physical injuries and medical expenses." I can't really imagine medical expenses or actual injuries that could have come from this but it is something that I could see how some parents might respond in this way with some kind of lawsuit. I hope there wasn't any serious injuries, and if there wasn't I think the punishment should have been handled in practice and the parents have some trust in the coach.

I'm sure it definitely didn't occur twice, so how could they really say nothing was done about the issue. I'm sure everyone involved paid some kind of price in practice and the kids learned a lesson from it. The article says Fiser told the kid, "he was "very disappointed" in him, "or words to that effect,"". Heck, I'm sure Fiser told both the boys just like I would that I was disappointed in both of them and that they have no idea the pressure, critique, distress, and risk it has/will caused for the wrestling program.

It could have happened to anyone. Coaches only have a certain amount of control over what can happen in the wrestling room. There is only so much that you can "prevent". It's impossible to over-see every kid at every moment. It could have happened in the locker-room, hotel room, wrestling room... even the class room. It just so happened coach was probably taking care of something in the 5 minutes that this thing happened.

I'm not going to remove the topic as it's obviously out in the public now and it's better that we can learn from this and try to prevent the same from happening in our own wrestling rooms.

Mathound:  First off let me tell you that I totally agree with most of what are you saying. 

You say that you cant imagine how there could be any actual injuries that could have came from this.  Last time I checked choking someone until they black out can be very dangerous.  Lets look at the definition of choking.

Choking is the mechanical obstruction of the flow of air from the environment into the lungs. Choking prevents breathing, and can be partial or complete, with partial choking allowing some, although inadequate, flow of air into the lungs. Prolonged or complete choking results in asphyxiation which leads to hypoxia and is potentially fatal.

Well that last part seems kinda bad.

In the article it says this:

It says Hunter's mother sent an anonymous letter to the school board detailing the incidents of physical assault, abuse and bullying. And it says after Fiser found out about the letter, he harassed, embarrassed, abused and ostracized Hunter, once telling Hunter he was "very disappointed" in him, "or words to that effect," because Hunter had told his parents about the choking incident.

You act like Fiser telling the kid(the victim)  that he is dissapointed is totally all right.  I cannot agree with this.  Why would a grown up harasse, embarrasse, abuse and ostracize a high school kid.  In my opinion Fiser should be dissapointed in his self for ever letting anything like this happen.

Why would a grown up harasse, embarrasse, abuse and ostracize a high school kid. 

The same reason you let us duct tape Justin, Scotty, and Derek Nickle. lol

Mathound:  First off let me tell you that I totally agree with most of what are you saying. 

You say that you cant imagine how there could be any actual injuries that could have came from this.  Last time I checked choking someone until they black out can be very dangerous.  Lets look at the definition of choking.

Choking is the mechanical obstruction of the flow of air from the environment into the lungs. Choking prevents breathing, and can be partial or complete, with partial choking allowing some, although inadequate, flow of air into the lungs. Prolonged or complete choking results in asphyxiation which leads to hypoxia and is potentially fatal.

Well that last part seems kinda bad.

In the article it says this:

It says Hunter's mother sent an anonymous letter to the school board detailing the incidents of physical assault, abuse and bullying. And it says after Fiser found out about the letter, he harassed, embarrassed, abused and ostracized Hunter, once telling Hunter he was "very disappointed" in him, "or words to that effect," because Hunter had told his parents about the choking incident.

You act like Fiser telling the kid(the victim)  that he is dissapointed is totally all right.  I cannot agree with this.  Why would a grown up harasse, embarrasse, abuse and ostracize a high school kid.  In my opinion Fiser should be dissapointed in his self for ever letting anything like this happen.

Fiser wasn't aware of this when it was happening.

If you don't know about it you can't do anything.

He told the whole team he was dissapointed that we didn't tell him about it so he could deal with it before it got out of hand.

In no way did he ever "ostracize" or embarass Hunter, he wanted Hunter to win just like every other wrestler any coach has ever coached.

old140 - I'm sure mathound is not saying that choking a guy out is not potentially dangerous, I think he probably made the same assumption that I did that if there were serious, permanent "injuries" (brain damage).....this lawsuit would be a lot more serious than it sounds.  I would think a hazing incident that lead to brain damage would be big time national news.  I know it could have lead to very serious injuries, but I assume it didn't.  If it did, then my condolences to Hunter & his family, and I hope the authorities throw the book at all guilty parties.  Coach Fiser has always struck me as a pretty smart guy, and I'm sure if he was aware something like this was going on, he would have intervened.  He was probably disappointed in not being given the chance to handle it within the family.

My younger brothers in the 90's went through a "phase" where believe it or not, them and all their friends made a game out of choking each other out.  They'd catch a guy not looking, and sneak up behind him and choke him out.  I'm not going to lie, it was hillarious to watch.  BUT....I hope any kids reading this site realize that yes, this was and is very dangerous.  If the kid does not get air supply restored fast enough, they will die or be brain damaged.  If you are horsing around with the guys in the wrestling room, and are thinking about doing this....think again.  Imagine what an incident would do to your program, your school, possibly your family.  LAWSUIT.

Thanks pioneer_pride.

I certainly did not mean that it is impossible, I am aware of it being possibly fatal - however, I thought it was very rare that there are any injuries from being choked. Of course it is certainly possible, and there could be injuries to the neck, etc if it was applied with too much force. Judo has been around since the 1800's and to my knowledge there have been no fatalities. In Judo it is legal to choke in a lot of different ways. I am in no way defending what was done but I just thought it was really rare to suffer damage from it unless you use some other method of choking someone such as with a baton, pushing the head down too far putting too much pressure on the neck, or holding the choke for way too long.

I am guessing that Hunter must have went to get checked out. If there were injuries and he really was hurt then, yes, this is a much bigger deal than a couple boys goofing off and I am sorry. None of us was really there so we don't really know how bad the injuries were or how the incident took place.

As for being disappointed in both boys, I guess you're right I can't really say I am disappointed in Hunter if he was really a victim here. Coach Fiser is a pretty good character and I could see him handling the situation better than most coaches. I guess what I mean is, I don't really see him saying anything out of line and demeaning to the boy like the article was saying.

What it comes down to is that this article is probably mostly hear say, and doesn't contain the actual facts.  I agree with all of you in that I dont see Fiser conducting himself like it says.  I was just quoting the article.  As far as the choking, I agree that more often then not, there are not serious injuries.  I had to comment on you(Mathound) saying you couldn't imagine any serious injuries though.  I hope this all gets resolved, and doesnt effect the South Oldham wrestling community any more then already has.  Many wrestlers need to look at this situation and learn from it. 

I was not there so I will not talked about what happen or might have happened. But for others that were not there to talk about the incident just doesn't make sense to me. Let the people in charge find out what happened and let the chips fall where they will, if they fall at all. Choking someone is very dangerous even if the person is OK after, this is like me pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger and the gun not going off and saying NO BLOOD - NO FOUL. I don't know what happen and I think everyone should leave this subject alone, until after it has been looked into by the proper people.

I was not there so I will not talked about what happen or might have happened. But for others that were not there to talk about the incident just doesn't make sense to me. Let the people in charge find out what happened and let the chips fall where they will, if they fall at all. Choking someone is very dangerous even if the person is OK after, this is like me pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger and the gun not going off and saying NO BLOOD - NO FOUL. I don't know what happen and I think everyone should leave this subject alone, until after it has been looked into by the proper people.

Are we not all on a a discussion board here.  People talk about the nonsense on this board and how there really aren't ever any real good topics to discuss.  I think this is a great place to discuss, and talk about something like this.  It kills me that the first time I see a good discussion, where people might be able to gain some real knowledge on what may or may not of happened, people want the thread closed.  I guess we can just have ranger rankings, and the occasional rooster fight from Danger to read about and discuss. 

I don't the exact details of this situation, but do know a little bit about what happened.  I won't speak of what I don't know.  I don't believe Coach Fiser knew of any previous misbehavior, but can't say for sure.  I don't know how severe the situation really was, but I do know Coach Fiser did take action towards one of the supposed harrassers mentioned.  It included the dismissal of a wrestler from the team and if everyone thinks about it, you could figure it out real easily.  The whole situation regardless of how minor or major it may have been is very unfortunate for all involved.  Yes we all know this kind of thing happens.  I played college football for 4 years and can tell you some of the things that happen were just plain brutal.  I once saw a freshman get beaten with an endzone pile-on so bad he sustained a concussion.  Those things have metal rings in the bottom of them.  All just for causing the team an extra suicide during conditioning.  There is no place for harrassment or abuse.  I understand a little horseplay from time to time as long as it does not get physical and all of the parties involved are willing participants, but not any type of physical abuse.  I would be inclined to believe from simply knowing about locker room banter that something happened, but not to the extent that it has been made out to be.  Again, that is just intuition, not carnal knowledge.  I hope everything works out for all that are involved.