Sign in to follow this  
archibaldhumperdink

5 match rule and tourney time

Weigh in: 7 -8

Round one begins 9 (8 team tourn 4 mats.  16 team tourn min 4 5 or 6)

finals at 5:00. (8 team tourn with 4 mats, can be done walking out the door 6:00)

In 25 years of coaching I have never seen a wrestler not be able to wrestle for a medal because of the 5 match rule.  Poor planning. 

I would not consider it poor planning just because the 5 match rule comes into play. I do not have 25 years of coaching, I have 5. But I did wrestle 6 years in Ohio, and 2 years in college. I have seen the 5 match rule come into play on occasion. Less than 10% of all tournaments.

The reason you may not have seen it coach, you probably are wrestling in smaller tournaments (8 men brackets). But in a 16 man bracket (without voids) any wrestler who lost in the first round, or any wrestler who lost in the second round of the championship bracket and then battled back through the consolations who be unable to wrestle for 3rd place due to teh four match rule.

It is not poor planning that causes some wrestles to lose in round one and then win throughout the competition. I myself have experienced the 4th place result of the 5 match rule.

I do have over 20 years of coachig and I agree that it is poor planning.

It is poor planning when you know that you will have 9-16 teams in your tournament.

If you know this is true then one of two things must happen. 1.  You make it a two day tournment, but I know this is not possible for many.  2. You make it a pools tournment. 

I am in favor of the pools tournament because it gives each wrestler a minimum of 3 matches and you can run a 16 team tournament in one day.

This occured at a middle school tournament.  STATE if I am not mistaken.  And if I am then at various others through out the state.  I will not mention any more specific ones, don't want to be a mud slinger.

Weigh in: 7 -8

Round one begins 9 (8 team tourn 4 mats.  16 team tourn min 4 5 or 6)

finals at 5:00. (8 team tourn with 4 mats, can be done walking out the door 6:00)

In 25 years of coaching I have never seen a wrestler not be able to wrestle for a medal because of the 5 match rule.  Poor planning. 

Does Indiana have divisions or is it all one division. Also you know a guy named Camden Eppert????

I have been to several Indiana wrestling tournaments as a wrestler and as a reporter for a couple of newspapers. As a general rule, they ran nice and smooth, but that may not be all of them. Kentucky faces the problem of inexperience. When a coach puts on his first tournament it is hard to get good schools to come, especially if the first attempt is not well organized.

Coaches need to work together with new coaches to allow for a good season for all. Parents help usually and brothers and sisters too, but they may be inexperienced.  The coach really needs to plan out everything, and expect things to go wrong and already have a mapped out way to fix them, or get that guy from Caldwell County. He can run a tournament very well.

This occured at a middle school tournament.  STATE if I am not mistaken.  And if I am then at various others through out the state.  I will not mention any more specific ones, don't want to be a mud slinger.

This happens at m.s. state just about every year, and will continue to happen there because it's a 16 man bracket and a 1 day tournament.  That's the way the coaches want it.  Some people don't like it that way, but an overnight stay for the school teams is cost prohibitive (bus driver, hotel rooms, etc...) and making it an 8 man bracket or 12 man bracket has been voted down repeatedly.

At the h.s. level, i agree with bull-dog-leader on this.  A h.s. coach should know if the 5 match rule will come into play.  Can't remember if its anything above 8 man brackets or 12 man brackets...but if there is a posibility of a 5 match rule, I would think a h.s. coach woul make the tourney a 2 day, or limit the # of teams you are bringing in.  Not doing so does seem like poor planning.