Sign in to follow this  
I-pinned-em-all

Coach Bankemper's son, Corey, injured

Corey Bankemper was injured in a wave runner accident at Cumberland Lake last week. He suffered a broken back, broken sternum, large head laceration and head trauma. He underwent successful back surgery this week at UK. He remains a patient in UK and is improving daily. Corey is awake and in good spirits. He will transfer to a rehab facility soon, where he is expected to make a full recovery. Please keep Corey and his family in your thoughts.

Being a ex-kentucky wrestler and recently breaking my back i know the pain they must be going through. Just hang in there Corey, things will get better. My prayers are with you.

for anyone interested in an update, I spoke to coach bankemper yesterday and he said corey's at home and getting better every day.  he still has a tough road ahead of him, but he's making progress.  he is having to "re-learn" certain things, things like passwords to computer and some vocabulary stuff like that....which sounds scary, but the good news is, he isn't having any problems re-learning things.  corey is a very lucky kid, and very lucky that the right people were on the scene.  korey shotwell helped get him out of the water before he drowned, and a person on a boat helped take him to shore.  the guy in the boat had the common sense to suspect a neck/back injury and kept corey's head in a stable position.  that almost certainly kept him from being paralyzed!!

best wishes to corey & his family!!