From Badger blog:

<<In Ruschell's match, he scored some back points and now has a 7-4 lead with 1:16 left in the second. Ruschell also has about two minutes of riding time. Ruschell has Wimberley on his back...gets two nearfall points. 9-4.

Sounds like a pin in another match...an Iowa wrestler pinned MSU...not sure what weight class it was. Take that back, it was Brent Metcalf with a pin...he's the top-seed.

Oh no...Ruschell just got pinned...Wimberely got Ruschell on his back right away to start the third and he was pinned...Ruschell had a 9-4 lead. WImberely advances.>>

Iowa looks/sounds ready.

Ruschell avenges prior loss to Prater of IL. Advances in consos.

Starks loses quarter finals but wins in wrestle backs.

Big Ten Network Live Finals  3p.m.  on Sunday

Ruschell avenges prior loss to Prater of IL. Advances in consos.

Starks loses quarter finals but wins in wrestle backs.

Big Ten Network Live Finals  3p.m.  on Sunday

what do you have to get in your confernce to go to the ncaa championships?

Ruschell on the comeback trail.  Beats Scott of Penn State advances to Consolation Semis against Sulzer of NW. 

gator, Big Ten has 66 qualifiers, I think.  Top 6 in each weight plus 6 wild cards. It may have changed. More than any other conference for good reason.  7 of the top 10 guys at 141 are from the Big Ten.  2 more are knocking.  This is anyones game.    Kyle is guaranteed NCAA's now. 

it depends on what conference you are in, some conferences qualify more wrestlers than others.  i believe the top 8 in each weight class qualifies for nationals from the big ten

Ruschell on the comeback trail.  Beats Scott of Penn State advances to Consolation Semis against Sulzer of NW. 

gator, Big Ten has 66 qualifiers, I think.  Top 6 in each weight plus 6 wild cards. It may have changed. More than any other conference for good reason.  7 of the top 10 guys at 141 are from the Big Ten.  2 more are knocking.  This is anyones game.    Kyle is guaranteed NCAA's now. 

good cause i want to see our good ole kentucky boy become an all american

Kyle is still alive in the Big Ten consy. He has to beat Keith Sulzer of Northwestern then, most likely will face Jaggers from tOSU for 3rd. Jaggers pinned him earlier this year then Kyle beat him in their dual. Tough weight class but, nothing like 149. Anyway, his ticket is punched for the big dance.

Finals @ 3pm.

from Badger blog:

<<On a sad note for Wisconsin fans...Kyle Ruschell will NOT be wrestling today. Medical forefit. Keith Sulzer from Northwestern advances.>>

BiggieD275 is right to a certain degree, it depends on your conference.  But the top seven in the Big Tens qualify, not eight.  For the Big 12's the top three, EIWA the top four.  I'm not sure about any of the other conferences.  There are also things called wild cards and some conferences are awarded more than others.  They are used after the tournament where the coaches vote on wrestlers who didn't automatically qualify.  I guess if the majority votes then certain wrestlers get to go to the nationals.

The number is based on performance at NCAA's.  Who will represent the conference at the National Tournament?  The system is weighted.  I used to have a link to it, but not anymore.  The Southern Conference may only get 10 plus 2-3 wild card and may only produce 1-3 All Americans whereas the Big Ten gets 70 plus and may produce 40 All Americans. Obviously, I am guessing on the numbers but you get my point. 

BiggieD275 is right to a certain degree, it depends on your conference.  But the top seven in the Big Tens qualify, not eight.  For the Big 12's the top three, EIWA the top four.  I'm not sure about any of the other conferences.  There are also things called wild cards and some conferences are awarded more than others.  They are used after the tournament where the coaches vote on wrestlers who didn't automatically qualify.  I guess if the majority votes then certain wrestlers get to go to the nationals.

Wow, is that true that the Big 12 only qualifies the top 3 from each weight class?  That's pretty hard to believe with programs like Iowa State, Missouri, Oklahoma St., Oklahoma and Nebraska in that conference.

The following information is from NCAA documentation

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/champadmin/wrestling/2007-08/MEMDIQualAllocations2008.pdf?ObjectID=52110&ViewMode=0&PreviewState=0

Wild Card Policy. The following wild card policy has been adopted for the 2007 championships:

The champion in each of the 10 weight classes at each qualifying tournament shall automatically qualify for the national championships. Each conference or regional qualifying tournament with 20 or more qualifiers will have two wild card options. Option A is full flights of 10 qualifiers, plus the remaining wild cards. Option B is determined by subtracting the number of qualifiers in full flights (e.g., champions, second-place finishers, third-place finishers, etc.) from the total number of qualifiers allocated, and then adding 10. Each head wrestling coach at the qualifying tournament will have a vote on the option that is selected. If the vote is tied, Option A shall be automatically used. Wild card qualifiers are required to have placed at least within three positions of the selected option

Guest The Great And Powerful Oz

Wow, is that true that the Big 12 only qualifies the top 3 from each weight class?  That's pretty hard to believe with programs like Iowa State, Missouri, Oklahoma St., Oklahoma and Nebraska in that conference.

true, but don't they only have 5 teams in that conference with wrestling programs?  i think the 5 you named is it for that conference.

true, but don't they only have 5 teams in that conference with wrestling programs?  i think the 5 you named is it for that conference.

Yes those are the only programs with wrestling in the Big 12.  I know they get quite a few wild cards in comparison to the five programs in the tournament.