Sign in to follow this  
sheeves

National Rankings and Kentucky?????

Alright in my opinion Kentucky wrestling doesn't get the respect we deserve. We are a fairly good state for wrestling but yet we do not get any recongnition. If you were to pick any wrestlers that should be or should've been nationally ranked who would they be?

Here we go again, you know and I know we should have some guys ranked.  However, in order for this to  happen one of two things needs to take place...

1. beat another nationally ranked kid

2. place and beat ranked kids at a National Caliper tournament, such as the Beast, Ironman, Powerade, Nationals, Fargo etc.

Pound for pound, Mitch, Peace, Reid are the top three seniors. 

I would also consider Sullivan, although he didn't win state, but 112 is generally weak (depth) and he could do well at Nationals.

The rankings that really matter are the "All Class" rankings.  I don't think there has ever been a KY wrestler make the top 20.  Anyone know of any??

Another factor against KY kids making the "All Class" rankings are the relatively few number of college wretlers from KY especially at the D-1 level.

Your telling me Joe Carr Jr. and Isaac knable were not all class ranked...Wow...Thats a shock....I know Knable wrestled for IU, or so I have been told, and Carr wrestled in D-1...

If Mitch wants to wrestle in college, Im sure he would do really well.

I talked to an old wrestler who was doing some scouting for an NAIA school, and said that Mitch was good enough, probably too good for their school, and was not exceptionally thrilled with Reid.... But best of luck to all those kids who are representing KY well.

We need more D-1 wrestlers. Heard Michigan St. was looking at some top tier KY wrestlers. That is awesome.

I thought Jacob Murton was ranked pretty high right after his showing at the Beast his Senior year.

I dont remember how high but I seem to remember he was top 15, but not sure if it was of seniors or all class. Even if it was all seniors being ranked that high means he stood a good chance of being in the all class rankings.

I thought his record from Ohio followed him during his years in KY. I seem to remember scouting reports on him  always referred more about him being a a placer as a freshman in OH more than anything he accomplished in KY. It kind of puts things in perspective!

KY kids have to get out and win whereever they go and they need to go alot!

It really hurts the state that we dont have an organized state team for summer duals for high school aged kids!

It would add alot of experience for the kids but also badly needed exposure for the state and the individuals.

Found some "All Class" archives for the last 4 years and there have been a few KY wrestlers listed:

04-05  Kyle R. 15th on Intermat

05-06  Jacob Murton 17th on Intermat, 19th on Brute

05-06  Taylor Scherer 20th on Brute

06-07  No one on either Intermat or Brute

07-08  No one on either Intermat or Brute (End of season final rankings not posted yet)

Couldn't find any archives that went further back.

I think Mitch Ervin and Travis Sullivan can do well at senior nationals this year.  I think Reid has the ability to do well also.  He did do well at the Beast.  I think Peace is a good/great wrestler but if his performance at the Beast is any indication, he wont do well at nationals.  But maybe he was off that day?

we should see after nationals..does any one know of which state champs are going? Bailey i know for sure is. Should be interesting on how he does, what does everybody else think?

As far as a National attention you obviously have to do well during the school season, but to get that national honor doing well at freestyle and greco nationals is probably the best way.

I think Bailey can do well also.  He is big and athletic.  If he keeps shooting those double legs then he will get some attention and make some noise!

Bailey is athletic, but he will get dragged when he hits one of those Penn/ Iowa heavyweights with 8% bodyfat, the Jordan Whiting look alikes in better shape, with actual technique.  He'll go 1-2 or 0-2.

Bailey is athletic, but he will get dragged when he hits one of those Penn/ Iowa heavyweights with 8% bodyfat, the Jordan Whiting look alikes in better shape, with actual technique.  He'll go 1-2 or 0-2.

I hope Baily proves you wrong.  But have you seen collegiate heavyweights?  They arent all Jordan Whitings. Bailey's physique compares favorable to 95% of the college heavyweights.

Your telling me Joe Carr Jr. and Isaac knable were not all class ranked...Wow...Thats a shock....I know Knable wrestled for IU, or so I have been told, and Carr wrestled in D-1...

If Mitch wants to wrestle in college, Im sure he would do really well.

I talked to an old wrestler who was doing some scouting for an NAIA school, and said that Mitch was good enough, probably too good for their school, and was not exceptionally thrilled with Reid.... But best of luck to all those kids who are representing KY well.

We need more D-1 wrestlers. Heard Michigan St. was looking at some top tier KY wrestlers. That is awesome.

well mason is getting looked at by michigan state and other d-1 schools and he's the highest kentucky placer at the beast

Wrestling USA magazine has Courtney ranked 18th in his class this month. I didn't see anyone else from KY though which surprised me not seeing Irvin and Reid in there.

Ervin is spelled wit a E not an I. lol