Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

Biggest surprises of the state tournament

For me...

Teams:  Meade County wrestled and competed very well for a second year team.  Keep up the good work.  Woodford County really stepped it up when it counted.

103 - Supe showed up to wrestle at state.

112 - Spencer wasn't afraid of the record.

119 - Supe showed up to wrestle at region and state.

125 - Parks was a microcosm of the Woodford team; he stepped it up in the post season.  Norbury was a huge surprise; he was as good as anyone at 125.  Repeat the general Supe comment.  Luna is getting back to form.

130 - Johnson looked good and Ervin was a very tough freshman.

135 - Davis is one of the fastest wrestlers I've ever seen.  Plus, he improved his technique dramatically.  I bet Vernon Jackson had something to do with that.

140 - Where did Bennett and Bollman come from?

145 - Not a surprise, but yes I have to repeat, Courtney is a beast.  I wish he were going for 5 next year.

152 - Choate/Isaacs didn't have the most action packed state tournament, but they won some big matches.

160 - Ray showed he can compete with the big boys.

171 - Reid didn't dominate as much as expected.

189 - Houchens was outmatched physically, but showed his talent.

215 - Chiba is very impressive.  I'm anxious to see how he performs as a senior.

285 - Bailey was one of the most impressive heavyweights I have seen (in the finals).  He came out determined to win and with that size and speed is very hard to stop.

What about the Newport boys.  started out 6-0.

160 Ilg defeated Lee to get a placement.

215 Ilg defeated both the 3rd and 4th place finisher in the tourney, but placed 7th.

112 almost a placer.

lenz was a balla at state...get em sheeves

I also thought that Andy Lenz was a surprise at 112.  He was ranked below 15th but finished 7th.

I want to have Andy's babies. :-o

Thnx for the suppourt guys, not sure what to say with the baby comment but good to know someones out there does. LOL :lol: 

Thnx for the suppourt guys, not sure what to say with the baby comment but good to know someones out there does. LOL :lol: 

You don't have to say anything. Just post a winky face and i'll know that you dig it. lol [i am not gay] :-D

For me...

Teams:  Meade County wrestled and competed very well for a second year team.  Keep up the good work.  Woodford County really stepped it up when it counted.

125 - Parks was a microcosm of the Woodford team; he stepped it up in the post season.  Norbury was a huge surprise; he was as good as anyone at 125.  Repeat the general Supe comment.  Luna is getting back to form.

135 - Davis is one of the fastest wrestlers I've ever seen.  Plus, he improved his technique dramatically.  I bet Vernon Jackson had something to do with that.

285 - Bailey was one of the most impressive heavyweights I have seen (in the finals).  He came out determined to win and with that size and speed is very hard to stop.

I agree -- it's exciting to see Meade competing. I thought Iroquois' guys were scrappy competitor, too. Eastern was nothing to write home about placing 14th, but that's a heckuva lot better than 32, where they were ranked.

Luna worked hard, especially considering he didn't compete for half the season. And he behaved himself, both on the mat and among his teammates. Those who wanted to criticize him didn't seem to realize that he had to prove himself to his team, too. We didn't just accept his return with open arms.

Davis winning wasn't a surprise to those of us who know him. This kid was just not going to accept a loss. Period. He has become a fine young man and has a lot of heart. Yes, Vernon did some one-on-one coaching, but J.D. pushed himself, and his entire team was behind him.

Bailey was phenomenal this year. It's so great to see a heavyweight match that's fun to watch instead of it being a contest of who can hold down who with sheer weight!

For me...

103 - Supe showed up to wrestle at state.

112 - Spencer wasn't afraid of the record.

119 - Supe showed up to wrestle at region and state.

130 - Johnson looked good and Ervin was a very tough freshman.

140 - Where did Bennett and Bollman come from?

145 - Not a surprise, but yes I have to repeat, Courtney is a beast.  I wish he were going for 5 next year.

152 - Choate/Isaacs didn't have the most action packed state tournament, but they won some big matches.

160 - Ray showed he can compete with the big boys.

171 - Reid didn't dominate as much as expected.

189 - Houchens was outmatched physically, but showed his talent.

215 - Chiba is very impressive.  I'm anxious to see how he performs as a senior.

hey ranger thanks i am the  meade county parent of 171 and 103 and i would just like to say Thank You!!!!!  I hope to see meade go alot farther next year coach Bob is a great coach!!!!!!!!!!!

What about the Newport boys.  started out 6-0.

160 Ilg defeated Lee to get a placement.

215 Ilg defeated both the 3rd and 4th place finisher in the tourney, but placed 7th.

112 almost a placer.

Ilg 215 only beat 4th because of a DQ other wise it was like 6-1 Ilg had 1. And 3rd place guy was on the other side of the bracket. Just the way it goes sometimes I guess.

Good assesment of the tourney, Ranger.  Woodford did perform better than some expected. Shane's been wrestlin since he was 4 or 5 yrs old.  What a great way to end a career. Harrison Courtney is pure beast, he's like a fire-breathing wolverine with chainsaw hands.  I'd like to see him and Ian Horn (from 98) square off.

Good assesment of the tourney, Ranger.  Woodford did perform better than some expected. Shane's been wrestlin since he was 4 or 5 yrs old.  What a great way to end a career. Harrison Courtney is pure beast, he's like a fire-breathing wolverine with chainsaw hands.  I'd like to see him and Ian Horn (from 98) square off.

Fire-breathing wolverine with chainsaw hands!!!  Someone has to make a poster of that one.  PLEASE!

That sounds like a pretty cool depiction off him.

its a mystery. Maybe ranger can help us out with a little bit of preseason rankings

:-D

I'm going to give the kids a couple weeks to enjoy the success or think about their failures before I put out the first 2008-2009 pre-season rankings.  Let's say March 3.  That also gives me a little time to scope out the 8th graders that will be moving up.

I fell very sorry for Derek Nickels, he not placing and all I think that was a big surprise no one was expecting.

Derek Nickel - Wow. Im shocked. I tried calling him about 20 times after i looked on khsaa.org. no answer. nobody has seen nor heard from him.

Dakoda Choate - I dont understand why everyone is so shocked (myself included) he would have been a state champion last year if not for the grizzly man beast that goes by Johnny Woo.

Which brings me to my last unstated surprise of the year (but not the tourney):

John Wolsiefer - Oh my god. Collosal.

Take it how you all want but Dakota Choate is the worst state champion I've ever seen.

Nice. I remember when you won yours with all pins. Oh, wait. :-o

Take it how you all want but Dakota Choate is the worst state champion I've ever seen.

I think that, by far, that is the worst, most uninformative, hateful, jerk, thing to say. Dusty said it best.

As to why you would say something like that is beyond me. Thats just ridiculous to say. I think you should be kicked off here for openly verbally battering a good, honest, talented, relentless kid.

When is the last time someone complained on him for being a cheater or unsportsmanlike? He hasn't gotten kicked off the team and let back on, or punched any kids or any of that and yet you target this young man?

He must have smashed your son or something because you've got problems.

I defy you to name 3 flaws with Dakota Choate.

First off just because i say something you don't like doesnt mean i get kicked off. Second of all I have my reasons. But I just stating a simple opinion GET OVER IT! If any of the past 152 pound champions wrestled him they would destroy him. What out there did Choate do that makes me think he deserved a state title? Because it sure as heck wasn't wrestling that he was doing more like a stall fest to me.. I say cut the stall and wrestle a whole match instead of attempting one move and stalling.

First off just because i say something you don't like doesnt mean i get kicked off. Second of all I have my reasons. But I just stating a simple opinion GET OVER IT! If any of the past 152 pound champions wrestled him they would destroy him. What out there did Choate do that makes me think he deserved a state title? Because it sure as heck wasn't wrestling that he was doing more like a stall fest to me.. I say cut the stall and wrestle a whole match instead of attempting one move and stalling.

A win is a win, even if it is ugly.  Especially at the State Tournament.

Congrats DC, you put me there and you got me one.