Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

Courtney vs Ervin

Who would you pick between Courtney and Mitch Ervin if they met at 152?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick between Courtney and Mitch Ervin if they met at 152?

• Harrison Courtney
    • Mitch Ervin

Both are great wrestlers and will do kentucky proud on the next level.  As for Courtney, you can only wrestle who is in front of you.  He can't control who is put against him.  I'm sure he would wrestle the best competition if given the choice.  Besides, 3rd place at nationals speaks for itself.

Anyone who has been to the Evansville Mater Dei tournament, or the Brentwood tournament (Nashville) and saw Ervin wrestle would have to say he is the best in Kentucky.  Very skilled, very strong, very physical.  Ready for college right now.  Remember that the last 4X Kentucky state champion (Knable) pinned in the state championship match...and lost in the Mater Dei finals the same year.

IMO - Ervin vs. Courtney would be a man wrestling a boy.  Maybe his senior year Courtney would match up...but not this year.

Frankly, I think there was one other wrestler in Kentucky who ranked right there with Ervin and Harrison...but I get chastised on this forum for ever mentioning his name (hint - Fern Creek).

Remember that the last 4X Kentucky state champion (Knable) pinned in the state championship match...and lost in the Mater Dei finals the same year.

In my opinion, that's completely irrelevant to these 2 kids today.  Knable might have ran into a buzzsaw at that tournament, and Ervin may have had an average field when he wrestled.  I would put my money on Courtney, but who knows, they were both very impressive.  I'd say a person with the best point of view on the matter would be Sheehan.  I'm sure he wrestles Courtney in practice.  If people are really curious either ask Sheehan, or try to get these 2 guys to wrestle.

In my opinion, that's completely irrelevant to these 2 kids today.  Knable might have ran into a buzzsaw at that tournament, and Ervin may have had an average field when he wrestled.  I would put my money on Courtney, but who knows, they were both very impressive.  I'd say a person with the best point of view on the matter would be Sheehan.  I'm sure he wrestles Courtney in practice.  If people are really curious either ask Sheehan, or try to get these 2 guys to wrestle.

Absolutely true Pioneer Pride.  I'm from Southern Indiana and I'm pretty sure it was Blake Mauer from Mater Dei who Knable lost to in the Mater Dei tournament finals.  Mauer was a 4x state champion in Indiana (130 in 2001, 145 in 2002, 171 in 2003 & 171 in 2004).  He had a high school record of 173-2.

On their feet Courtney probably has a slight edge over Sheehan.  However on the mat it is a different story.  I have seen Sheehan on multiple occasions just quit because he feels like literally no matter what he tries he ends up on his back.  I don't know if I've ever seen Sheehan even escape from Courtney on bottom.

How does this translate to Courtney vs Ervin?  Obviously Ervin dominated Sheehan on their feet.  I'd have to give the edge to him there but on the mat I'd say Courtney could turn him at least once and I don't know if Ervin could get away.  If Courtney can keep it to a low scoring match by neutralizing Ervin on their feet, something he's capable of doing, I'd say Courtney wins.

i give the edge to courtney but ervin is to good of a wrestler to be destroyed by courtney or any in the state for that matter but theres always the factor what if John Wolsifer was at state would we be talking about courtney and ervin or would it be wolsifer or dominating both hands down in my opion ervin got his get outta jail free card there

Who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a life, it will never happen so forget about it, it is getting really OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

All that matters is that they were the best at their weight class and they got the job done. No more no less. You can play the what if game till hell freezes over and it wont change a thing.

No way. Ervin all the way. He would, with out a shadow of a doubt, destroy when neutral. On the mat he has alot more than some fancy tilts and leg rides. He's a power house with crazy technique from every position. But , yeah, his neutral game alone would win the match.

Some fancy tilts shouldnt be said so lightly, tilts really are the most dominating move in my opinion, easy to hit and you can be down 5 or 6 points and catch back up in no time if your good at them.

now onto the original question i here alot of talk about ervin but have never been soooooo impressed he is definitely great but just doesnt seem to dominate as much as courtney, i feel ervin would probably be able to control the neutral game but everywhere else would be dominated by courtney

and just a side note, i feel ervin would not have won state if Wolsiefer wouldnt have messed up this year 

Both are great.......both have won Mow...........as for byrdog.....I think you have some issues......you are a grown man......what is up with the Courtney bashing.....every post that has to do with Courtney  ummm yea "It is called "OCD" Obsessive-compulsive disorder ummmm I would get that  checked out :roll::evil:....but as for these two boys........they are both great and both have proved it out on the mat.

Both are great.......both have won Mow...........as for byrdog.....I think you have some issues......you are a grown man......what is up with the Courtney bashing.....every post that has to do with Courtney   ummm yea "It is called "OCD" Obsessive-compulsive disorder ummmm I would get that  checked out :roll::evil:....but as for these two boys........they are both great and both have proved it out on the mat.

just because I'm not in love with Courtney or Woodford....I DON'T LIKE WOODFORD COUNTY never have NEVER WILL....most of them are annoying, crybabies, and think they should be handed a statetitle for every match they wrestle...THEY ARE NOT GODS!!!! so MamaC145 MESS WITH THE BULL YOU GET THE HORNS

Harrison and Mitch are both gifted athletes not to mention the wrestling ability's

they have worked so hard to achieve. But having them face off on the mat at the

same weight I can't see any way Mitch would not come out on top.

mitch wont be wrestling in nationals due to a slipped disk in his back.. he injured his back earlier in the season and they are hoping they can put it back in place without surgery before he goes to college

Actually I just heard a little bit ago that it's much worse than a slipped disk and that he won't be ever able to wrestle or play sports again.  If it's true then that's a real shame.  He was a VERY tough wrestler, definitely could have wrestled D1.

I talked to Coach Walls because I also heard the same from a concerned friend. He said they are going to try to work it back in. He may not be able to wrestle if he has to end up getting surgery, its ashame he got hurt. Wrestled most of the season with the injury, imagine if he wasn't injured what he could have done. Could have been more dominant

I talked to Coach Walls because I also heard the same from a concerned friend. He said they are going to try to work it back in. He may not be able to wrestle if he has to end up getting surgery, its ashame he got hurt. Wrestled most of the season with the injury, imagine if he wasn't injured what he could have done. Could have been more dominant

Hopefully he will see a quality sports medicine doctor that knows what his goals are and see if it's feasible. I wish him the best.

I wish Mitch the best!!!!! I hope everything gose well for him and if he wants to go to the next level then all of  this will come out in his favor. He seems like a good kid and he is also gifted on the mat.

As for Byrddog......grow up....I am not impressed at all with a grown man that has a hobbie of being a online bad man.....bascailly adults who bash kids...if I was 12 or 14 I might be impressed maybe....you never see me bashing Mitch or any kid on here....why is that??? Cause all these kids work hard.....and I am a adult so I handle myself like one......the only bull you bring to my presents is the kind that would force  me to wear rubber boots to walk around....so that ends that................so I am sending good wishes to Mitch and the family and I hope everything works out for him......first his health and well being then getting back on the mat.

ok MAMAC just went through all my posts don't really see I'm bashing anyone just stating my opinions on the Ervin/Courtney issue. Bad Man? I know the kids work hard. I've done it and seen it over the last 18 years. Didn't know my opinion offended you so much??

Yes it is but what I am saying is the adults on the board should speak and act as adults.....have you guys forgot about the being a example to the kids..in other words if  you don't think highly of someone state what you think  tactfully......this is something you learn as a child.....or atlest I did.....don't forget you are talking about kids not adults......and I am sure these kids on here know who the adults are ect ... the adults on here should be tactful  at all times I think....."example" be one that is what I am saying. Byrddog  don't flatter yourself....I don't search for your post..... all I have to do is go to any post that has to do with Harrison or Woodford which I do read  :wink: and there you are....with your so called professional 18 years  of experience comments. Let me point something out to you....I was not the one that even notice....it was my boss who was in the past part of this sport and some other out of state friends who bascailly wanted in on all this during state...they wanted to get more info on this sport in Kentucky since I was so proud of it and my boss was the one that notice you.....in which he said he was floored for the reason you were a adult ....dose that not say anything to you or did that go over you head...it was a embressment!!! I look at it this way....were ever I go....whenever I get on here...I am not only representing my son but also his team and Kentucky wrestling.....you know this is the world wide web. But I will let this go.....cause I am a adult  I prefer to act in a adult manner..I dont get on here very much at all....just to check up every now and then on how everything is going around Kentucky.......but I will leave you with this...as you can see I am a very out spoken opinionated women ...I speak my mind ...but that is what this board is for to state opinions...well I think I just stated mine.....have a wonderful night.

Mitch is a good wrestler.  Courtney is the best wrestler in Kentucky, probably since the 80's.  Ervin would lose.  He might get a takedown, maybe.  He would lose, and lose poorly.

idk bout since the 80's Knable was a beast in the late 90's

Yes it is but what I am saying is the adults on the board should speak and act as adults.....have you guys forgot about the being a example to the kids..in other words if  you don't think highly of someone state what you think  tactfully......this is something you learn as a child.....or atlest I did.....don't forget you are talking about kids not adults......and I am sure these kids on here know who the adults are ect ... the adults on here should be tactful  at all times I think....."example" be one that is what I am saying. Byrddog  don't flatter yourself....I don't search for your post..... all I have to do is go to any post that has to do with Harrison or Woodford which I do read  :wink: and there you are....with your so called professional 18 years  of experience comments. Let me point something out to you....I was not the one that even notice....it was my boss who was in the past part of this sport and some other out of state friends who bascailly wanted in on all this during state...they wanted to get more info on this sport in Kentucky since I was so proud of it and my boss was the one that notice you.....in which he said he was floored for the reason you were a adult ....dose that not say anything to you or did that go over you head...it was a embressment!!! I look at it this way....were ever I go....whenever I get on here...I am not only representing my son but also his team and Kentucky wrestling.....you know this is the world wide web. But I will let this go.....cause I am a adult  I prefer to act in a adult manner..I dont get on here very much at all....just to check up every now and then on how everything is going around Kentucky.......but I will leave you with this...as you can see I am a very out spoken opinionated women ...I speak my mind ...but that is what this board is for to state opinions...well I think I just stated mine.....have a wonderful night.

MamaC - first off...you are asking too much of us older guys on here to act like adults.  ;-)  It's way more fun to behave like kids. 

I'm a huge fan of your son.  In my opinion he is totally classy and is an inspiration & role model for all the younger guys coming up.  I don't know him at all, have only spoken to him once or twice.  (asked for an autograph once lol).  My son got to hang with him a little bit out at nationals last year, and has talked to him from time to time at tournaments, and he thinks the world of Harrison.  I've heard others say the same thing.  I always take notice of the threads that mention Courtney, and a few other wrestlers who I've been impressed with over the years (Ruschell..and a few others).  I'll always chime in if i see someone bashing on Courtney.

However, I have to agree with Byrddog on this.  I've never really seen him say anything too bashing of Harrison other than he seems to think Mitch would beat him.  I disagree, but he has his opinion, i have mine.  It's definitely debatable.  Like you say, they are both great wrestlers.  I'd ask your boss to point out a particular comment that was bashing on woodford or harrison specifically.  Byrddog has never struck me as a "basher" type person, so I think your boss might have been a little off on saying that.

That's my .5 cents worth.

There will never be a mitch and harrison matchup so all this speculation doesn't really mean anything so to take offense to something that is pointless is farfetched. BTW mamacourtney, it's also embarrassing to have fans who use grammar like that.