Sign in to follow this  
true pioneer

Ever had a run for the title

Josh Whitaker won his second title in 1999 after only wrestling a handful of times that yr. due to injury. After running thru districts, regions, and state he only had maybe 25 wins and no losses.

Jason Detre from LaRue County dislocated his shoulder in 1999 in the first match of the season. He lost that match, wrestled state duals and helped LaRue win their first state title. He won his 2nd state championship with a record of 14-1. He now is the head coach for Nelson Co.

Has there ever been someone that was out for almost a full season then came back next season and had a run for the title??

its kinda like a success story.

This maybe stlightly off topic from what you are adking but a kid I went to high school with started wrestling his junior year and made it to the state finals as a 119 pounder in Georgia. 

Blake Sheehan was out almost the season this year and came back to wrestle in the finals where he was defeated by Mitch Ervin.  I think he wrestled a total of 14 matches this year.

What about James Simpson from PRP in 1989?

He didn't take the year off before but I believe he played both basketball and wrested.  From what I heard he was averaging 10 rebounds and 10 points a game in basketball and was state champion at HWT.

C-mon PRP people can you shed some light on this?

What about one of the Lee twins?  Matt or Mike didn't one have a serious injury? 

I believe each was a state champion once and they both placed 2nd their senior year.

What about one of the Lee twins?  Matt or Mike didn't one have a serious injury? 

I believe each was a state champion once and they both placed 2nd their senior year.

Matt broke his collar bone at regionals as a freshman.  He had handled the state champ in his weight class earlier in the season at state duals like 9-2...i think he had 1 or 2 losses on the season so "coulda been a contenda".  He was a state champ the next year as a soph.  Mike had normal aches and pains, but no major injuries, was a state champ as a junior.

Wasn't there a couple of CC guys that were injured early in the year to come back and win state?  Wasn't it Hagan that got pile drived majorly by Robert Kemper from Woodford County, and dislocated his shoulder...could not wrestle much of the season until regionals and went on to avenge his loss and win state....i also heard I think Wilkens had something like that happen too with a shoulder injury, right?

Chris Hagen did have a separation of his clavicle when he wrestled Kemper at the State Duals that year.  When he gave up his patented 1st takedown he was brought down pretty hard.  (The two were jawing at each other prior to the match). 

When we went out I could tell it was separated but Coach B. allowed him to continue.  When he shot a high crotch on Kemper he went down in pain again.  At that point we decided he needed to be 100% to win the match anyway.  In the state tourney C. Hagen once again gave up the 1st take-down and then got an escape then took Kemper down.  He looked over at the coach

Matt broke his collar bone at regionals as a freshman.  He had handled the state champ in his weight class earlier in the season at state duals like 9-2...i think he had 1 or 2 losses on the season so "coulda been a contenda".  He was a state champ the next year as a soph.  Mike had normal aches and pains, but no major injuries, was a state champ as a junior.

Yea these two were amazing.  You never knew what they would do.  Has there ever been a set of twins in Ky that were as dominating?  I did the research.

-------1991 8th-----1992 9th---1993 10th----1994 11th---1995 12th

Matt-----3rd----------DNP---------1st----------5th----------2nd

Mike-----2nd----------5th----------5th---------1st----------2nd

Amazing stats.  9 placments between them  5 finalists and 2 state championships.

Any other twins in Ky to come close????

daniel murner didn't start wrestling till his sophmore year,

won state at 119 as a senior when south oldham won the state championship

he was also cross country state champ so that might've helped

i guess u can say he took his freshman year off.... :?

daniel murner didn't start wrestling till his sophmore year,

won state at 119 as a senior when south oldham won the state championship

he was also cross country state champ so that might've helped

i guess u can say he took his freshman year off.... :?

South Oldham won in 2003, Murner won in 2006 I believe.

What about James Simpson from PRP in 1989?

He didn't take the year off before but I believe he played both basketball and wrested.  From what I heard he was averaging 10 rebounds and 10 points a game in basketball and was state champion at HWT.

C-mon PRP people can you shed some light on this?

I don't think he played basketball that year.  PRP won state that year I went to alot of games and don't remember seeing him play.  I'm pretty sure he went to UK on football scholarship.  I also don't think he could've played basketball under Coach Mabrey.

Coty Lewis was out for awhile the year he won his title in 2006 I believe.  Not sure how many matches he wrestled that year but pretty sure it wasn't a whole season.