Sign in to follow this  
KyWrestler12

Most Exciting Match

most exciting, the parents of lee and picket

i agree, them ryle mom's can scrap!!  they were just walking the halls looking for a fight. 

pictures will be posted online soon.  :-D :-D

Choate should have won MOW.  What seed was he and he was the only Ky guy to beat ashbrook(the shoe in) this year.  He is awsome.  I have never seen anything like him. 

"Don't act like your not impressed" ANCHOR dUDE

I've come to accept the fact that the coaches will not allow a region 3 kid to win MOW.  Thats all there is to that one.

I've come to accept the fact that the coaches will not allow a region 3 kid to win MOW.  Thats all there is to that one.

yeah he won state but every match was close......no one beat sullivan either and corey spencer didn't get MOW....it's for teh most outstanding wrestler at state and courtney pinned or teched everyone so he won it rightfully

yeah he won state but every match was close......no one beat sullivan either and corey spencer didn't get MOW....it's for teh most outstanding wrestler at state and courtney pinned or teched everyone so he won it rightfully

I definately agree with this he deserved the mow without a doubt. but last year derek nickel didnt allow a single offensive point the whole tournament and teched pinned or majored all the way up to the finals. he was also the lowest ranked kid to ever win state and he just didnt get it. the coaches wont let it happen. region discrimination.

I definately agree with this he deserved the mow without a doubt. but last year derek nickel didnt allow a single offensive point the whole tournament and teched pinned or majored all the way up to the finals. he was also the lowest ranked kid to ever win state and he just didnt get it. the coaches wont let it happen. region discrimination.

i think the reason they hate region 3 is cause we have not as good teams like ryle and union or even trinity but we have good or decent individuals but notice how all the MOW's are from big wrestling schools

2008: harrison courtney

2007: mitch ervin

2006 jacob murton

2005: kyle ruschell

Most coaches go into a tournament with an idea of at least a few wrestlers whom they would vote as MOW.  The state tournament is no exception.  Sure there were some people who stepped up to the task, but I know I was particularly looking at Peace, Reid, Ervin or Courtney.  With no disrespect to any other wrestler like, they were the four I considered to be Kentucky's best this year.  It has nothing to do with what region they were from only with the talent they display on the mat.  I don't think coaches are discriminatory towards any one region.  I personally believed that of the four, Courtney was the most dominant so I voted for him.  I looked back through the brackets and saw where up to the finals, Ervin and Courtney were equally dominant in their weight classes.  Since Courtney pinned his opponent and Ervin won by decision, that is why I voted for Courtney.  Honestly, if Wolseifer would have wrestled this year, the winner of the Ervin/Wolseifer match, regardless if it was in the quartefinals, semifinals or finals would have probably received my vote.  I'm sure many of the other coaches would have been the same way.  Besides, the award is most outstanding, not most surprising.  Although Spencer and Choate did earn their titles and no matter how much people want to knock them, they are state champions, they weren't the most outstanding for the tournament.  I think if coaches are discriminatory about anything, it's weight class, not region.  I'm not for sure, but has a wrestler in the 103, 112 or HWT weight classes ever won the MOW at state?  Kyle Ruschell was mentioned as an MOW in an earlier post.  He is a perfect example of this.  In 2004, he pinned his way through state at 103 and didn't win MOW.  I'm pretty sure he was the only one to pin through state that year.  In 2005, he moved up to 119 and had pins in the first 2 rounds and tech falls in the last 3 rounds and wins MOW.  It was another dominating performance, but not necessarily any more dominant than the previous year.  I know some people still talk about Derek Nickel from last year and I'm proud of him for what he accomplished, but I'm pretty sure Zarth and Martin didn't allow any offensive points in 2007 either and Zarth was in a much tougher weight class that year.  IMO if anyone other than Ervin should have won MOW last year it should have been Zarth.

Not to change the topic too much but yes there have been two 112 MOW and one HWT.

1994: Bruce Stepp, Sheldon Clark High School, 275 lbs

1986: David Richey, Caldwell County, 112 lbs

1981: Robbie Clarkston, Conner High School, Senior / Robert Ervin (UC) 112

i think the reason they hate region 3 is cause we have not as good teams like ryle and union or even trinity but we have good or decent individuals but notice how all the MOW's are from big wrestling schools

2008: harrison courtney

2007: mitch ervin

2006 jacob murton

2005: kyle ruschell

Hacker, Gator roll. Do you have an inferiority complex or something?  There has been no-one deserving of the MOW from Region 3 yet.  Nickle was in no way the best wrestler at the state tourney last year.  He was however the best at his wt. class last year.

Big wresting schools. Duh of course most of your MOW are going to come from big wrestling schools, they produce the best wrestlers through cometition at practice.  In Nky there is a reason why Holmes kids don't win state (with the exception of one).  Take Golsby a few years back.  How in the world did he become as good as he was.  They had what 3-4 kids on the team?  Who did he practice with?  Who pushed him every day?  I'm sure his coach didn't wrestle him he is over 200 lbs. 

Your agrument however is not completely accurate.  lets look at the the MOW from the 90's and 00's which can be found on this site.

2006: Jacob Murton, Lawrence County High School, Senior, 135

2005: Kyle Ruschell (Ryle) 119

2004: Jacob Murton, Lawrence County High School, Sophmore, 125 lbs

2003: Scott Cooper, Larue County High School, Senior, 140 lbs

2002: Isaac Knable, St. Xavier High School, Senior, 145 lbs

2001: Isaac Knable, St. Xavier High School, Junior, 140 lbs

2000: George King (Union) 171

1999: Josh Stepp, Sheldon Clark High School, Senior, 152 lbs

1998: Ian Horn, Woodford County High School, Senior, 160 lbs

1997: Joe Carr, Woodford County High School, Senior  145

1996: Jason Talbott (Old) 119

1995: Miguell Merritt (Hop) 185

1994: Bruce Stepp, Sheldon Clark High School, 275 lbs

1993: Don Blevins, Fern Creek, 152 lbs

1992: Willie Ennels (Hop) 160

1991: Dickey Casstleman(Dan) 130

1990: Mike Migliaccio (TC) 152

We have 17 MOW's here.  6 of which were from small wrestling schools.

Migliaccio (TC) great wrestler upset Willie Ennels (MOW should have been Curt Zinga from Camp that year) but Tates Creek was not known for wrestling, still are not a power team

Dickey Casstleman (Dan)  Upset craig Burtleson Danville still not known for wreslting.

Don Blevins (Fern Creek)  Moved into the district won state twice and I believe was the only representative of Fern

Creek those two years.  Fern Creek has built their program since.

Jason Talbon (Old Co)  Phenomenal wrestler but once again Oldham was barely on the map at this time.

Jacob Murton 2X (Lawrence Co.)  If not for him and his brother moving into the district they may never have even had wrestling at Lawrence Co. 

You may even be able to make an argument obout George King from Union.  at this time Union was not a powerhouse.  They had some down years in the 90's.

Quit whinning about Region 3 being the ugly sister of wrestling and continue to improve the surrounding programs. A program developes a MOW not an individual.