Sign in to follow this  
Just Wrestle

Any Upsets Today?

MatMama, what do you think about Courtney at 145 now??????? Courtney will be celebrating tonight for the 3rd time. Probably the only sure thing of this State tournament

What can I say? I was way off on Irvin beating Courtney, and he's not going to lose to Griffith, Sanders, or Whitt. So I'm a believer now. He's a sure thing, you're right. I'd say there are a couple of other sure things, too: Reid and Sullivan.

not really that big of an upset...is was a 3-2 match at regionals too with sullivan winning.......sullivan hasn't really wrestled anyone good all year......maybe if he had went to a couple national tourney's he would have a fourth crown

the ref lost sullivan his fourth title in my opinion! that ref call the other guy for stalling with 1:10 left in the match, sullivan was the only one working until they went out of bounds at like 4 seconds left.... how do you not award sullivan with a point for a guy not doing S**T for over a minute?

the ref lost sullivan his fourth title in my opinion! that ref call the other guy for stalling with 1:10 left in the match, sullivan was the only one working until they went out of bounds at like 4 seconds left.... how do you not award sullivan with a point for a guy not doing S**T for over a minute?

All I saw Sullivan do was block every attempt by Spencer with a front headlock and ride the hips.  Spencer was the only one working to score.  Sullivan did try to get on the offensive after Spencer got an escape and took the lead with about 20 seconds left.  Too little - too late.  Congratulations Spencer on your State Championship.

Congrats to Choate, he wrestled awesome the whole tourny.  As far as Sullivan, I was rooting for him. I have to say that if you are a 3x state champ, you have to take the ref out of the equation.  He did not get screwed by any ref, should of never been that close.

First, Congrats to my boy Corey Spencer.  If you have followed his career at all, you will know that he has been tough as heck for his entire high school career.  He lost to Carr by 2 in the semi's his Freshman year and then to Evans by 1 his Junior year.  He also had to fight though a tough draw and several close matches against good wrestlers to get this far i n this tournament.  After the tough breaks he finally broke through and got what he has worked hard for and what he deserves.

Second, as everyone on here knows, it is nearly impossible to continue in any kind of action when your oppenent is riding your hips or just hanging onto you in a good front head lock.  I wish Sullivan would have gone at him the whole match and we could have seen the talent both wrestlers have.  The reality is that he didn't.  He slowed the match down and tried to contain Corey by sitting on the hips and failing to use his front headlock.  Corey showed a lot of guts and escaped when he had to and won the match.  Spencer had a little more poise tonignt than one of the most poised wrestlers in state history.

Third, Coach Sullivan is a class act.  I have never seen anything more classy than when he come over after the match and hugged Corey and told him how happy he was for him.  I don't know if he reads these things or not, but I tried to find him after the match to tell him how awsome that was.  I also thought Travis handled himself with class, too.  Great career.

Congrats Corey or a huge win!  

All I saw Sullivan do was block every attempt by Spencer with a front headlock and ride the hips.  Spencer was the only one working to score.  Sullivan did try to get on the offensive after Spencer got an escape and took the lead with about 20 seconds left.  Too little - too late.  Congratulations Spencer on your State Championship.

exactly the way it happened.

First, Congrats to my boy Corey Spencer.  If you have followed his career at all, you will know that he has been tough as heck for his entire high school career.  He lost to Carr by 2 in the semi's his Freshman year and then to Evans by 1 his Junior year.  He also had to fight though a tough draw and several close matches against good wrestlers to get this far i n this tournament.  After the tough breaks he finally broke through and got what he has worked hard for and what he deserves.

Second, as everyone on here knows, it is nearly impossible to continue in any kind of action when your oppenent is riding your hips or just hanging onto you in a good front head lock.  I wish Sullivan would have gone at him the whole match and we could have seen the talent both wrestlers have.  The reality is that he didn't.  He slowed the match down and tried to contain Corey by sitting on the hips and failing to use his front headlock.  Corey showed a lot of guts and escaped when he had to and won the match.  Spencer had a little more poise tonignt than one of the most poised wrestlers in state history.

Third, Coach Sullivan is a class act.  I have never seen anything more classy than when he come over after the match and hugged Corey and told him how happy he was for him.  I don't know if he reads these things or not, but I tried to find him after the match to tell him how awsome that was.  I also thought Travis handled himself with class, too.  Great career.

Great career for both wrestlers!  And Coach Sullivan showed a lot of class, as did Travis.  I feel for Travis and am very happy for Corey.  I dont know if stalling should have been called with legs in, because its hard to tell who is working in that situation.  A stalemate would have been better. But either way...I knew Corey was the only 112 who could beat Travis, and he did it on the biggest stage. I thought this match was a toss up. Congrats Corey on your state championship! Congrats Travis on your career and many records!

Sorry Spencer, congrats on your state title, but i will stick with my initial response the ref hurt sullivan bad!

You're a good friend and loyal too HWT. But nobody hurt Sullivan but Sullivan!

sullivan did act with class. which is more then i can say for most people at this tournament.

honestly, if it were me, i would have been so devastated i probably wouldn't have came out on the podium. travis is a class act and so are his coaches.

you are a 4 timer in my book

Considering that 40 people gave their state champ predictions on Mathound's post, and only three people -- EagleWrestler, ccbdeke,and me -- picked Justin Davis to win, I would say his state championship is an upset. Now, on the 2008 State Predictions thread, Lexwrestler27, jpizar83, and KYGrappler called it for Davis. That's not many people who saw it coming. They should have, though. J.D. is a phenomenal wrestler and a good kid, too. In 2009, he'll be the one to beat!

Congrats to Justin, he is a great guy and he earned his title.......He has a great chance at being a 2x if he keeps up the good work.......Branch should have been in the finals with him.....but no thanks to the ref for not calling stalling on Miller whom stalled the whole match  from the start and Branch wasnt given his back points when he had miller on his back in a cradle.....  :-o

i wouldnt say this was an upset but branch wrestled hard and showed class wheter he won or lost

di alot better then i thought he would and stepped it up at state

just had a few bad calls as did many others