Sign in to follow this  
nkydad

Matt Neal from SK DQ'd from regional

The 15th is his birthday. Last year we moved his party back a weekend so I wouldn't miss it because of State. This year they are going, so his party will be The Party after State!

Speaking of reffing, I had to referee the Cincinnati Youth Wrestling tournament today.  I am not an official ref, just a dad and coach of a high school and youth wrestler.  Every team in the Cincinnati/Northern KY area has to run a table for the Citywide tournament.  These kids are 9 and 10 years old, but you would think that the way some people act, that it was the high school state finals.

I do not envy the refs at all.  It is a thankless job.  Referees aren't perfect.  They are going to miss some calls.  They do not have the benefit of instant replay.  A lot of wrestling scoring is judgment calls.  Some refs call it different than other refs.  That's the breaks.

If you have a call that could go either way, then some team is going to gripe.  I had 2 matches today that I was verbally abused.  Until you actually ref a match, you don't know how difficult it is.  This is my 4th year of reffing at Citywide, and I will continue to do it until my youngest son is in middle school.

The next time you want to argue a call, put yourself in the refs position.

Its not exactly the coaches..

some people you can't control some people are just well mannered..

all your coach can do is punish you.. that doesn't change someone

I know not to talk to the ref, even if I'm mad, but my coach enforces that.. Its good coaching and manners.

I WAS AT THE TOURNEY, FOR AS THE REFS QUALITY OF CALLS I THOUGHT THEY WERE AS GOOD OR BETTER THAN MOST I'VE SEEN. AS FOR THE NEAL MATCH, I BELIEVE CACO KID WAS STALLING BUT EVEN IF REF CALLED IT NEAL WOULD'VE GOTTEN 1 PT. WAS DOWN 2 MAKE NO CALL MEANINGLESS. AS FOR THE PERSON WHO SAID HE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO SAY SOMETHING AFTER LOSING[i DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD] HE DID, WAS WARNED TEAM POINT TAKEN AWAY. HE KEPT TALKING SO HE UNFORTUNATLY SAID TO MUCH

I WAS AT THE TOURNEY, FOR AS THE REFS QUALITY OF CALLS I THOUGHT THEY WERE AS GOOD OR BETTER THAN MOST I'VE SEEN. AS FOR THE NEAL MATCH, I BELIEVE CACO KID WAS STALLING BUT EVEN IF REF CALLED IT NEAL WOULD'VE GOTTEN 1 PT. WAS DOWN 2 MAKE NO CALL MEANINGLESS. AS FOR THE PERSON WHO SAID HE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO SAY SOMETHING AFTER LOSING[i DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD] HE DID, WAS WARNED TEAM POINT TAKEN AWAY. HE KEPT TALKING SO HE UNFORTUNATLY SAID TO MUCH

YOU DON'T HAVE TO TYPE LIKE THIS!!!

WHY ARE WE YELLING?

lol

i know what he said.. isn't enough to get dq'd

enough for a team point thats for sure but i've heard much worse being said during matches and to the ref

i think the ref got scared for his health or something.. cause he for sure ran away i got a little giggle from that

yeah i said giggle

enough for a team point thats for sure but i've heard much worse being said during matches and to the ref

i think the ref got scared for his health or something.. cause he for sure ran away i got a little giggle from that

yeah i said giggle

It absolutely, positively, without a shadow of doubt DOES NOT matter what was said. You absolutely, positively, without a shadow of doubt DO NOT argue with the ref at all.

You let your coaches handle that and you keep your emotions in check.

And you would've seen a lot more DQs if you'd heard worse things said during a match and to a ref...

YOU DON'T HAVE TO TYPE LIKE THIS!!!

He can't help it. He has that condition that the Will Ferrell character had where you can't control the volume of your voice.

By the way. I would like everyone to show their support by signing my giant "I HEART MATT NEAL" sign that i'm makin'. You'll see me. I'll be the white trash in camo holdin' the four foot poster board. Thanks. :-D

I talk to the refs..

i've seen people argue.. some refs are fine with it and actually talk to you about it.. some refs go crazy and blow things out of proportion...

i was there i know what was said. it was blown out of proportion by a ref that should have not been there.

I THINK WHAT HE SAID TO GET DQ'D BY ITSELF PROBABLY WOULDN'T BE ENOUGH, BUT SINCE ALREADY HAD 1 PT. TAKEN AWAY LEFT THE REF WITH NO OTHER RECOURSE. IF HE WAS SUCH A BAD REF YOU DON'T GIVE ANOTHER WAY TO BEAT YOU DOWN

poor calls.. not giving takedowns.. not giving petersons.. calling stalling when its not.. not calling stalling

i talked to everyone about this ref.. they agreed.

All I can say to that is you're going to have good refs and bad. You just have to learn to deal with both ends of the spectrum.

poor calls.. not giving takedowns.. not giving petersons.. calling stalling when its not.. not calling stalling

i talked to everyone about this ref.. they agreed.

C'mon they had to be better than the region 6 refs last year.  :-D :evil: :roll:

And only a parent was kicked out last year, and maybe a coach.

I don't understand why there's even an argument here. Wrestlers are supposed to keep their mouths shut, hence the coach sitting in the corner. Leave policy to the coaching staff. It is impossible to justify a wrestler spitting profanity at an official at any venue. Matt Neal was out of line, and he deserves the punishment which has been handed down to him. Some of you may be friends with Matt, but try to empathize ( see things from another's perspective). Surely none of you would appreciate a wrestler challenging your manhood in front of a crowd like that. So take a deep breath and come to terms with the fact that what Neal did was disrespectful and unsportsmanlike.

yeah i said giggle

I know i'm restating what's already been said a million times in this thread....but true pioneer, if you think about it...you may not like Matt getting dq'ed...no one wants to see that.  But if he had said NOTHING, like I'm sure his coach and many others have told him to do in the past,

1) he'd still be wrestling at state this weekend

2) he'd be on the opposite side of Reid

It did him absolutely no good to say what he did.  Maybe it made him feel better for 2 seconds.  But if he cares about wrestling or his team, it should make him feel bad for a lonnng time that he got DQed.  The ref doesn't care, nor should he have to tolerate that.  Hopefully someone close to Matt will make him see that he shouldn't have done what he did.  You're his team mate, perhaps you should try to not make a joke out of it and tell him he was right.  Tell him "dude...you messed up, quit screwing up!!!" 

I know i'm restating what's already been said a million times in this thread....but true pioneer, if you think about it...you may not like Matt getting dq'ed...no one wants to see that.  But if he had said NOTHING, like I'm sure his coach and many others have told him to do in the past,

1) he'd still be wrestling at state this weekend

2) he'd be on the opposite side of Reid

It did him absolutely no good to say what he did.  Maybe it made him feel better for 2 seconds.  But if he cares about wrestling or his team, it should make him feel bad for a lonnng time that he got DQed.  The ref doesn't care, nor should he have to tolerate that.  Hopefully someone close to Matt will make him see that he shouldn't have done what he did.  You're his team mate, perhaps you should try to not make a joke out of it and tell him he was right.  Tell him "dude...you messed up, quit screwing up!!!" 

Thankyou. I would have DQed him also, we are told to throw a wrestler out if he cusses at you or insults you, and the same goes for coaches or fans.