Sign in to follow this  
nkydad

Matt Neal from SK DQ'd from regional

2nd round of Regional, Matt Neal lost a close match to Brownfield of Campbell Co, and said to the ref "Don't you have the balls to call stalling?" and was DQ'd from tournament.  Just a warning to everybody, to watch your mouth and let your coach handle the ref.  Ranked 3rd in state, and not going down because of something he said.

That is ridiculous!    Certain refs just think the sport is about them , If a wrestler just lost a close  match in regions sometimes u need to say a thing or two !

That is ridiculous!    Certain refs just think the sport is about them , If a wrestler just lost a close  match in regions sometimes u need to say a thing or two !

No. The wrestler needs to learn to keep his mouth shut and not say anything to the ref.

That's just like if someone said something to a ref in a basketball game and they were T'd up...

Don't say anything and let your coaches talk to the ref.

Wow!!!!!

If you believe this and you are a wrestler yourself I see a few DQ's headed your way.

There are few reasons for a wrestler to ever speak to an official.  And never should they speak to an official in this manner.  If the official did not do anything in this case I would hope that their coach would have done something.  I know I would be upset if my son did this and was not punished in some way.  (Of course he would when he got home) if he had the gut to come home after doing something that disrespectful. 

I was there, and Brownfield should have been called for stalling.  But so what?  How many takedowns are never called?  How many reversals are controversial?  Quick pins?  Out of bounds?  If everyone argued every single "iffy" call, then we could never have a winner in a wrestling match.  I do feel sorry for Neal, but he brought this on himself.

I do not agree what Neal did was right, I think he might feel as though he was slighted, AGAIN. If you know everything, sir, and watched all of his effort and hard work, his trials and tests, you might see things differently.

That's all I have to say

I agree to respectfully disagree.  It is my understanding that Mr. Neal's situation is not the best, however, when he stepped out on the mat the playing field is level.  I was not familiar with any of the referees at the tournament today and I don't think they were handed an explanation of all the extrenuating circustances of any and all wrestlers that were entered into the event.  I have watched Neal for the past several years.  Next year he should let his performance and not his mouth do the talking for him.

Read this though:

What goes around,,,,, comes around! Remember that at your next church meeting, sir!

Don't just attend something if you are really just there for looks! :-)

Read this though:

What goes around,,,,, comes around! Remember that at your next church meeting, sir!

Don't just attend something if you are really just there for looks! :-)

Huh?

No matter what the ref says to me all I can say is yes sir and no sir...

This is a good short comment. 

This shows good caracter, and good coaching. 

You and your coach get a pat on the back from me.  :-D

I was there.  It was a match where both wrestler worked hard but not a lot of points were scored.  It looked like a college match; very even.  Staying in good position and not losing points is all a part of it.  Circle, wrestle hard and don't give up any stupid points.  Keep your daggone mouth shut.  I wrestled for Boone when we won the state championship in 79.  Bob Warnick, our coach, told us don't never lose a match due to a bad call or no call from a referee.  I still remember opening my big mouth in a match and losing a point because I questioned a refs call.  I ran for miles that next week. If you need (a refs call) that to win a match you didn't deserve to win. 

I want it to be understood that I have no ill will towards Matt Neal.  It is the behavior that needs to be corrected.  I have been told by other individuals that he is a pleasant young man.  I wish him well and hopefully next year will be his finest.

The ref was right to DQ Neal! Not only did Neal's behavior show disrespect to the ref but for his opponent and everyone in the tournament as well.

There's never a time when it's appropriate for a wrestler to call out the ref for his calls. One rule of any sport is there are going to be some bad calls. Athletes should take their lumps and rise to the level that a bad calls won't cost them a loss. I hope Matt Neal will learn from this and come back next year a better man!

I just hope it wasn't a certain Ref, I wasn't there, somebody mail me

This is a moot point.  It shouldn't/doesn't matter who the ref was.  Wrestlers need to be accountable for their actions, and unfortunately this one was costly for Neal.  Costly to his team too.  Hopefully the sum of his experiences this year make him a more disciplined wrestler next year.......otherwise his talent will be wasted.