Sign in to follow this  
thegreatgatsby

Region 3 & 4

Does anyone know if these 2 regions are still going to be held at Hoops in J-town?  I know region 5 will be at North.  I really hope these tournies will be put back into the high schools.

Having all of Jefferson County under one roof is a great idea because it allows the wrestling fan to see may matches in one day. Also Hoops and KIBA are great venues to have wrestling because they provide space to allow fans to watch and their facilities are very modern. They are more than just basketball places, they are good multi-sport facilities

Yes, Region 3 & 4 are good to go for Hoops on February 9th.  The seeding meetings for each region will also be held at Hoops on the Thursday (7th) before the tournament.  Weigh-ins are at 8:30 and wrestling is scheduled to begin at 10.  The only problem is that according to the handout, there are only going to be 4 mats total (2 for each region).  This will take forever.

At first I had thought it was a good idea, but now that only 2 of the three regions are going to be there I don't think it is a good idea.  It is taking money away from the schools which everyone knows is very thin nowadays and the place that region 3 and 4 is having their tournament is in the area of region 5....which is not participating!  That makes no sense.  It's a much farther trip for anyone in region 3 to go to than if it was in a school in that area, so now if a parent only has 2 hours or so to spend watching their son and friends it is much less likely they are going to now be able to come over and watch as they will spend half their time in the car driving.  I wonder what prices on things are going to be as well, I would be willing to bet gate is going to be more than at a school as well as any concessions would be.  2 mats should be fine, for region 4 as their aren't as many teams or as many full teams as region 3.  I wonder if it would be set up so as if they start lagging far behind one mat could be used to do some region 3 matches as well....have to wait and see. 

I don't know about concessions stands, but the gate is $5 for adults, $2 for Children under 12 with the exception of pre-school and below and they are free.  Also on the handout I was given from my AD it says that each team will be alloted 20 total tickets for which to get their wrestlers, coaches and managers in the facility.  Let me know if anyone needs extra tickets.  We won't need all of ours and I will sell them at a discounted price. :-D

I still strongly dislike this idea, for 2 main reasons. First, it will not achieve the main goal it is setting out to achieve, which I believe is to get more fans to watch. This will discourage fans from coming because of such a far drive, and the general public is not going to be there...sorry, but I'm a realist. Second, because I've heard nothing so far as to how school's are going to profit off of this, it should be known Regionals is a huge fund-raiser for schools. Also, why is wrestling going to be the only sport that does this? Not even football, basketball, volleyball, any sport does this except for schools that don't have a proper venue to hold such an event, like swimming. Terrible idea all around.

The flyer also states the schools will split the revenue evenly between them.  If the event winds up in the negative, the schools will split that as well.  There is no team entry fee for the region 3 & 4 tournaments.  I am pretty sure the teams will split the gate and Hoops gets the concessions.

I still don't like this idea, and am extremely happy to be holding Region 5 at North this year.  I like the idea of having a rotating fund raiser for the schools.  For us, the regions will help us pay for our state mats.