Sign in to follow this  
hacker

State Dual Results

Zeppa Beat Vinsant today, it was a good match.

Zeppa seems unstoppable to me.

He's a very good wrestler and a nice kid (Older than me!)

I remember my freshman year we wrestled 1st round of state. I got 3/4'ed in like 40 seconds. It was not fun.  :-D

He seems to me to be, like the most dominant kid to have at best placed 8th in the state.

Good Job to Andre.

Trinity beat Union on the last match (pretty sure it was 189) and you got the feeling it would come to the last match early on because it was back and forth the whole time with excellent competition.  With Trinity winning a tough match against LaRue and beating Woodford as well, it seems Trinity can give some of the credit to the grueling competition from their bracket preparing them for the powerhouse Union team.

Wayne also beat Campbell County for 3rd and 4th place in another close match that was decided near the end but I spent most of the time watching the Union/Trinity match.  I left with Woodford still going against Seneca.

I'm sure other posters can give you better details on the names of the winners so I'll let them continue the thread.

Guest KYwrestler06

He looked good but he lost to Voth the other weekend, so I wouldnt say he's unstoppable.

The most exciting match between Union and Trinity was at 140 in my opninion.  One minute Union looked to win and the next (I think it was Young vs Watkins but have been wrong many times before) Trinity had the pin.  You could see the Union coaches were elated with the "almost" pin only to have the match turn against them seconds later.  Of course, it's hard to compare this to the last match because the pressure was on Trinity who trailed 31-33 (I think).  That one was six minutes of high intensity pressure start to finish for both heavyweight wrestlers.  Lots of fun and worth every penny of the $8.

Ethan Miller beat Elliot Martin in the final overtime by riding him out. It was an extremely good match with some guestionable calls but still really exciting. Great win for Miller.

Finals, dont know all the names for sure

103- Elam over Bradbury (once again very close 5-3)

112- Smith dec Thomas (Thomas gave him a real good match)

119- Carr pin Gillispie (Pinned all his guys since the start of Mater Dei Tournament)

125- Wempe pin trinity

130- Ohlmann dec Ervin OT... questionable call?

135- Barton dec Ervin (Barton is tough)

140- Watkins pin Young (back and forth)

145- Ervin pin Trinity

152- Willett pin Remines (great match for Josh Willett)

160- Ervin pin Tri (unstoppable?)

171- Hitchings pin Burke (Burke had Hitchings on his back 20 seconds into the match but got called for illegal slam on an inside trip, never heard of that before)

189- Trinity dec Tim McKenney (Diante Wright wasnt wrestling. Diante pinned that trinity guy in first period at Harrison) Final match of the dual

215- Messina dec Griggs

HWT- Whiting pin McGuire

Questionable calls by ref made the final outcome. Could have gone either way, Congrats to Trinity. 3 weeks to state, see if they can hold off union.

I thought the refs did an excellent job all day.  The matches moved fast and I didn't see anything the crowd, coaches or wrestlers strongly disagreed with.  They deserve a lot of credit for keeping the day moving along with the physical and mental effort the job entails, as most already know.  The wrestlers also showed a lot of respect to each other and opposing coaches which is a sign of great coaching and all deserve a "job well-done".  Even the fans were on their best behavior where I was sitting 8-).

119- Carr pin Gillispie (Pinned all his guys since the start of Mater Dei Tournament)

125- Wempe pin trinity

145- Ervin pin Trinity

171- Hitchings pin Burke (Burke had Hitchings on his back 20 seconds into the match but got called for illegal slam on an inside trip, never heard of that before)

189- Trinity dec Tim McKenney (Diante Wright wasnt wrestling. Diante pinned that trinity guy in first period at Harrison) Final match of the dual215- Messina dec Griggs

HWT- Whiting pin McGuire

Questionable calls by ref made the final outcome. Could have gone either way, Congrats to Trinity. 3 weeks to state, see if they can hold off union.

Trinity's 189 was also a backup.  if you remember Josh Lewis is out with a hurt elbow.  Pretty tough situation for two JV wrestlers to be the deciding match for the State Title.

125- Wempe pin trinity

145- Ervin pin Trinity

189- Trinity dec Tim McKenney (Diante Wright wasnt wrestling. Diante pinned that trinity guy in first period at Harrison) Final match of the dual

215- Messina dec Griggs

HWT- Whiting pin McGuire

wow martin lost i thought he would never lost

especially to a guy he pinned in 40 secs 2 months ago

Congrats to Trinity and Union for a great match deserving of a State Championship!

Absolutely they both did a awesome job with there dual. Congratulations to both teams making it that far.

and I don't mean this in a bad way so read this carefully cause I'm a Martin fan too. I wasn't happy to see Martin lose but I was at the same time cause I don't want him walking into state with a undefeated record having a big head and mess up one of his matches at the big tourney cause he was to cocky. I would rather see him a lot-1 over seeing him go alot-0 and lose 1 while at state thats all I'm saying.

I really don't think Martin was getting cocky.  Remember, he isn't really dropping weight to begin with.  Now, I overheard a conversation that really wasn't about to much, but Martin said he was taking some medicine that made his stomach queezy and he hasn't been able to keep any food down in a while.  This is not to mention that he looks beat up.  So, he currently isn't at his best.  I'm sure he will regain his strength prior to regionals and will look quite dominant through state.

Oh, by the way:

1.  Trinity

2.  Union

3.  Wayne

4.  Campbell

5.  Ryle

6.  Johnson Central

7.  Woodford

8.  Seneca

9.  tie:  Larue, John Hardin

11.  tie:  North Oldham, Southern

13.  tie:  Meade, Tates Creek