Guest wildcats143

UNION COUNTY (over rated?)

If Union's Varsity wrestlers all wrestle in your dual, I predict a final score of 65-3.  You should prepare the boys.

Who are you predicting to win from Meade?  Heavy?

Yes

That makes me sad.  Makes me even sadder that you have it as a decision.  That means he'll be on the mat 6 minutes.  That's extra clean up time afterwards.

Henderson, Union teams advance to state duals

Gleaner staff

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

PRINCETON, Ky. -- Union County won Saturday's regional duals at Caldwell County, while Henderson County finished second as both teams will advance to the state duals this weekend in Lexington.

Union County fielded two teams in the competition and both were unbeaten. The varsity (White) team posted wins over Calloway County JV 84-0, Fort Campbell 80-0, Daviess County 65-18, Calloway County varsity 78-6 and Henderson County 72-12. The junior varsity (Blue) beat University Heights 74-3, Ohio County 60-16, Henderson County 36-33, Calloway County JV 84-0 and Apollo 84-0.

Going 5-0 for the Braves' varsity were Jarvis Elam (103 pounds), Isaac Thomas (112), Aaron Carr (119), Jake Wempe (125), Caleb Ervin (130), Luke Ervin (135), Matt Young (140), Isaac Ervin (145), Mitch Ervin (160), Jarrod Burke (171) and Tim McKenney (189). For the JV team, Neal Reburn (103), Cody Quinn (112), Keaton Thomas (119), Duncan Taylor (125) and Jimmy Jones (189). Hunter Ratley was 4-0 at 152 pounds.

Henderson County beat Calloway County 39-36 to earn the region's other spot in the state duals, which will be Saturday at Lexington Henry Clay.

lol union county is so amazing that the Henderson paper only reports union results

Union County is a very good team from top to bottom, and they are arguably the best in Ky (this year and last)  But if Union County really wants to be a perennial powerhouse then they must continue their  winning ways for the next twenty years. It is then and only that they should be mentioned in the same sentence with schools like Trinity and Woodford County.  Schools such as these have prestigious programs that are creating 4th and 5th generations of wrestlers who have enough character not to look for kudos for having 2 good years.  The true test of a great program is not a state title, it is time. 

and I agree with you Yoda. You summed that up great. Only time will tell if Union is back to their old days with greatness all around. Maybe if they win their 5th state title this year and keep up the outstanding performances, argueably could be one of the best well behind woodford of course. I personally think they will keep up their greatness, the are going for their 5th straight regional title this year and 3rd year in the top 4 at state.

Union County is a very good team from top to bottom, and they are arguably the best in Ky (this year and last)  But if Union County really wants to be a perennial powerhouse then they must continue their winning ways for the next twenty years. It is then and only that they should be mentioned in the same sentence with schools like Trinity and Woodford County.  Schools such as these have prestigious programs that are creating 4th and 5th generations of wrestlers who have enough character not to look for kudos for having 2 good years.  The true test of a great program is not a state title, it is time. 

wow...did you just say Trinity?  :-o :-o I don't know HOW you are lumping Trinity in with Woodford and ahead of Union.  Especially mentioning "over time".  Do a little research and you'll find that Union has 4 team titles compared to Trinity's 1.  Union is clearly more of a perennial power than Trinity.  Trinity has a very bright future, no doubt...but give Union their dues.

http://www.khsaa.org/records/wrestling/teamtitlerecords.pdf

Plus Union's middle school program is trucking along in high gear.  I agree everyone's chasing after Woodford for the state's premier program, but Union has got a big head start on 95% of the rest of the schools.  Campbell could make a case over Union (in the past 20 years), but certainly not Trinity.

Union County is a very good team from top to bottom, and they are arguably the best in Ky (this year and last)  But if Union County really wants to be a perennial powerhouse then they must continue their  winning ways for the next twenty years. It is then and only that they should be mentioned in the same sentence with schools like Trinity and Woodford County.  Schools such as these have prestigious programs that are creating 4th and 5th generations of wrestlers who have enough character not to look for kudos for having 2 good years.  The true test of a great program is not a state title, it is time. 

Yoda, or should I call you Confucius. I see you are a novice to KyWrestling.com.  I have several issues with your above comment. First, Union County is one of, if not the most, prestigious wrestling programs in the Commonwealth of Ky. Pioneer_pride has already listed their state titles. I will give a few other examples. Union County has CLASS, starting with their wrestlers, to their fans, and ending with their coaches! They are not sore winners and they certainly are not sore losers. Personally, I am proud to have Union County in Ky. The Ervin boys/men are a classy group of competitors and have been since the late 70's and early 80's. I don't know the Ervin's personally, but I don't believe they desire kudos, I believe they are simple people who just settle for the GOLD.

Trinity has assembled an excellent group of wrestlers and coaches and will certainly make their mark on this generation. Currently, Trinity has a great program, but they need time to establish themselves, not Union County.

There are many great programs in Ky. From 1991 to 2004, Campbell County won 4 state titles in addition to several state dual titles. I believe, Campbell County has won more state dual championships then any other team??? 

Woodford County is clearly and unquestionably Ky's powerhouse. They have the most individual state champs as well as team titles. They are the kings of Ky.

I don't really understand why you wrote this. The thread wasn't started by a UC wrestler, it was someone who was wanting peoples opinions about Union County.

I have only one comment for this guy. LOL

I don't like to debate over red herrings, well actually i do, but fortunately i ve grown.  It is so easy to read a post and pick one sentence to disagree with, then use that one sentence as a seemingly devastating blow to the fabric of that persons premise.  The primary point is that yes Union is a great team (even though i 've heard they got beat by Trinity in state duals) but to evolve into a great program it takes time.  I wish them the best this state needs other great programs.  My question is how long can they maintain their present level of excellence and how will they compete with Joe Carr's' boys when they reload. (which unfortunately for Harrison Courtney is at least 3 years away)

So are you saying that Union is kind of like the flavor of the day or what? I don't understand what you want us to think. You sound as if you are trying to say as if they are just good for now and won't really sustain this momentum. Guess only time will tell. I'm not one to get into debates about whohas tradition and who doesn't. I grew up watching all those traditional teams that you speak of, and would rank Union right behind Woodford. Trinity would definitely be in the top ten, but I can think of teams that have more tradition than them.

As far as State Duals is concerned, every Union County wrestler knows that it is our Destiny to never win it. So not winning it this year doesn't really hurt my feelings, just fuels the drive for State even more.

My question is how long can they maintain their present level of excellence and how will they compete with Joe Carr's' boys when they reload. (which unfortunately for Harrison Courtney is at least 3 years away)

/quote]

Here's a question for you, What was Joe Carr's record versus Union County? Now you will see some historical figures. :-D

Yodawrestles,

There is no need to bring Trinity into your comparisons.

Trinity has the utmost respect for Union County.

Ditto that sentiment.  I have been involved in the wrestling world for only the past 4 years and Union is always a dominant force to wrecken with.  Yoda, off base, you are.

Union has the respect for trinity too... love the matchups... and the reason joe carr didnt win 5 state titles is because of a union county wrestler named Greg Woodring. Carr would be the lone 5 time champ if it wasnt for the heart of a great man determined to win.

They must not have been up to date on the history of KY wrestling. Dont know numbers but I would guess union has more than trinity does.

Trinity-(1)-1989

Union-(4)-1976,1980,1982,2007