Sign in to follow this  
OCMVP

Where was Eastern at Region 5 Duals?

Maybe they didn't feel they had a chance to be in the top two.  Therefor not being able to qualify for the state duals. 

To me this does not seem stupid. 

What sort of message does that send to the kids?  We can't compete with the best so we don't show.  I can maybe understand limiting the weeknight events, but when you have a regional event on the calendar you participate.  Even in those years when you aren't in the top 2.

It is no different than taking your team to an extremely tough tournament the year you have a good team. 

You don't participate in that same tournament when you have 1st year wrestlers on the team. 

You gear your schedule toward your ability.  You go to tournaments that compete with you not blow you out or you blow them out.

As for it being a regional meet.  this is not true, it is just a set of duals set up.  It is not a required event, very similar to what NKY has. The NKAC.  Not a required event but all do attend, or at least they have so far.

It is no different than taking your team to an extremely tough tournament the year you have a good team. 

You don't participate in that same tournament when you have 1st year wrestlers on the team. 

You gear your schedule toward your ability.  You go to tournaments that compete with you not blow you out or you blow them out.

As for it being a regional meet.  this is not true, it is just a set of duals set up.  It is not a required event, very similar to what NKY has. The NKAC.  Not a required event but all do attend, or at least they have so far.

Do you just like disagreeing with people?  B/c that what it seems like.

It may not be mandatory, but all the teams should be at the regional duals.  Might as well establish some pride/ rivalries. 

If you are forfeiting numerous weight classes, why take the team to dual competitions?  What kind of rivalries are formed under these conditions?  If you are unable to field a full team, the last thing that you would want to do is take the wrestlers that you do have and enter them into an event that they have no chance of winning.   

No I don't just like disagreeing with people. 

Lets take Nky for example, more specifically Holmes.

Since I know their head coach very well if feel comfortable talking about them.

In the last couple of years they have taken 4 or 5 to the NKAC.  The equivalent to the regional duals elswhere.

This year they competed on the second day with only 1 wrestler.  Each year their wrestlers are demoralized at this event.  When the day ends they are so downtrodden that some of them quit soon afterwards.  I did not attend the NKAC but I heard from their coach that the 103 (the only wrestler on Sat.) was so down he did not want to wrestle the duals.

How is this in any way beneficial to their team.  I know they have contimplated not going but they have a contrat through the NKAC to do so.  Being competitive creates rivalries and pride, not being destroyed in every dual.

Teams such as these need to attend few dual tourneys, and compete mostly in bracket tourneys so that they can focus on the individual and not the team.

Teams such as these need to attend few dual tourneys, and compete mostly in bracket tourneys so that they can focus on the individual and not the team.

FYI  I believe the reason we wrestle a dual tournament in our region NKAC is to determine who will go to the state duals.  I was given this information by Coach Ruschell.  In the old days the NKAC was bracket tournament.  It is a very difficult situation for some of these teams who cannot field a full team.  Holmes, Boone, Newport and even Dixie at times have a hard time filling their squads.  Campbell County, Simon Kenton, Conner and Ryle have middle school teams and youth programs for the past several years which make a huge difference in the success of the programs.  A comment made on a recent thread spoke of the need for qualified coaches throughout the state.  If you look at the more successful programs year in and out they typically have a stable staff of coaches and that does help tremendously. 

Lawrence county in region 8 has only a few wrestlers and they are still going to attend region duals. If you only have a few wrestlers you focus more on the individual matchups then winning as a team.

Also, These Duals were originally scheduled to be on a weekend but were then changed to 2 weekdays in a row. Eastern just had a 2 day tournament and then we also have a match on Thursday and the Big East on Saturday. Our coaches did not feel it beneficial to go these duals because yes we didn't feel we would make top 2 and our coaches would have much rather been able to get some practices in before a thursday night match and the big east. OCMVP, I honestly don't know why you care so much about this, just get over it, we didn't show. Worry about your on team. OC was there so you should be happy about your "upset" over Fern Creek even though its pretty widely known that FC is not as strong as they were last year. I'm sure that if Fern Creek wasn't missing their 4 placers from last year in their lineup, the outcome of that dual would've been much different.

Also, These Duals were originally scheduled to be on a weekend but were then changed to 2 weekdays in a row. Eastern just had a 2 day tournament and then we also have a match on Thursday and the Big East on Saturday. Our coaches did not feel it beneficial to go these duals because yes we didn't feel we would make top 2 and our coaches would have much rather been able to get some practices in before a thursday night match and the big east. OCMVP, I honestly don't know why you care so much about this, just get over it, we didn't show. Worry about your on team. OC was there so you should be happy about your "upset" over Fern Creek even though its pretty widely known that FC is not as strong as they were last year. I'm sure that if Fern Creek wasn't missing their 4 placers from last year in their lineup, the outcome of that dual would've been much different.

Sharp Cheddar, American, or Goat?

It might have been.  Might not have.  At least we competed.

OCMVP, I honestly don't know why you care so much about this, just get over it, we didn't show. Worry about your on team.

This is the same thoughts I was having.  I don't understand why people worry about other teams and what they do.  If they don't want to compete then so be it.  The only matches that really count are the ones at the state tourney.  All the rest are just a built up for the state tourney, you could even say they are just practice for the Region and state tourney.

This is the same thoughts I was having.  I don't understand why people worry about other teams and what they do.  If they don't want to compete then so be it.  The only matches that really count are the ones at the state tourney.  All the rest are just a built up for the state tourney, you could even say they are just practice for the Region and state tourney.

Ok fair enough, but then if you worry about that so much, has your 900+ posts all been about Boone?

Ok fair enough, but then if you worry about that so much, has your 900+ posts all been about Boone?

No they have not.  I am no longer affiliated with a team.  I also don't purposely attack individual teams.  I may have shown distaste in a few teams attitudes but never attacked their integrity.

If I have then that was in no way my intentions. Unlike what seems to be going on here.  A thread purposely out to attack another team.

No they have not.  I am no longer affiliated with a team.  I also don't purposely attack individual teams.  I may have shown distaste in a few teams attitudes but never attacked their integrity.

If I have then that was in no way my intentions. Unlike what seems to be going on here.  A thread purposely out to attack another team.

Or a thread started by a kid who is mad that another team didn't show up for something he felt was important.  Which is to be expected from high school males.