Sign in to follow this  

big east

This was the worst year yet for the Big East.  The good thing was we were done very early (would have been earlier if we didn't have the 45 minute delay when Josh Lewis dislocated his arm).

The best highlight of the tournament for me was a very close match between Smith and Wiexler (Wiexler really wanted this one) and Cattan looking like an idiot because he was so emotional about a dramatic call he just made he wasn't watching where he was going.  Smith had already gotten in position in the center circle and Cattan walked backwards and fell right on his @$$ after tripping over Smith.

I know. my son was the one wrestling him at the time.

I'm sure he felt bad but it wasn't his fault.  It was just one of those freak things that happen in a physical sport.  There is actually some hope that Josh will be back for Regionals, if you can believe that.

That's the reason this tournament is bull.  If you have 12 teams there is no way it should be set up to lose first match and only get 7th places.  There were some weight classes where someone lost the first match and they were done for the day because there weren't any other first round matches and so there was noone to wrestle for 7-8th.  This is one reason it went quick because there was noone who had more than 4 matches and most only had 2-3 i would say.

We went to a tournament earlier in the season where you couldn't possibly place if you lost in the first round because you would have reached the maximum five before getting to a 5th/6th place match, much less a 3rd/4th place. There are lots of different ways to set up a tournament, and it's an art. Always, the way to avoid such problems is to win!

Every year it just gets worse and worse.  it used to be a really good tournament.

Yes, the Big East was small this year. However, last year, 2007, the Big East had 22 teams, including #1 Union County. The year before that it was 18 teams. The Big East is always run well, starts and finishes on time, and is in a location with a large enough gym for people to have room to sit and watch. So to say "every year it gets worse and worse" is unfair and simply untrue.

I think what OW meant was that it doesn't seem to be as high competition as in the past.  True last year was pretty good, but the previous year I don't think had as many competitive teams and then three years ago it was only about 9 teams.  He probably meant that the tournament format should have been adjusted to a standard 16 man bracket with only 11-12 teams instead of the way it was run if you have 22+ teams like in past years, it does make for a quick day when some kids only get 1-2 matches.

I would say the biggest problem would be for those individuals that only got one match. 

It is easy to say win and that will solve the problem.  However tournaments are sceduled so that kids get experience and are able to improve their wrestling.  I would definitely not send a team where they are only guaranteed one match.  You can have a dual meet for that.  Plus it would not take an entry fee do have a dual. 

I have heard many teams that no longer attend the Big East.  They claim that certain schools will be there and then they are not.  This has occurred many times in the past.

You are correct however when the tournament gets started it is run very smoothly.  The format, honesty in number of teams, and competition level is what is lacking in the last few years.

My problems with Big East (and thanks for defending me guys)

1.  Poorly run.

2.  They don't tell the truth about teams that are going to be there.

3.  The seedings, like the KWCA rankings are Bulls***.

4.  It consistently gets worse.

5.  They charge an arm and a leg.

OW I will agree with all but the 1st. 

I believe they run the tournament smoothly. Few delays and wrestling is non stop.  I just don't agree with the format.

Why do we agree so much?  That's like 9 posts now?????  :?

My problems with Big East (and thanks for defending me guys)

1.  Poorly run.

2.  They don't tell the truth about teams that are going to be there.

3.  The seedings, like the KWCA rankings are Bulls***.

4.  It consistently gets worse.

5.  They charge an arm and a leg.

Olympic Dream,

I think you are just a compulsive complainer and have no real basis for what you say!

1. It started on time aind finished on time!

2. Nobody lied about who was coming unless teams said they were coming and then backed out.

3. It seems like you don't agree with any seedings, the ones at the Big East or KWCA. (maybe you aren't ranked where you think you should be)

4. How many years have you been to Big East to base you criticism on anyway? Since your wrong about 1, 2, & 3 anyway number 4 doesn't count.

5. We have paid higher prices at othere tournaments so I hardly think you can say they charge an arm and a leg.

How many tournaments have you run yourself? Maybe you should give it a try before you criticiose!

I think more the reason he said it is poorly run is just due to the fact that several kids had one match or two at the most.  Our 140 drew Porter first match and gave him a good one, lost by a few and then had one match 6 hours later and won and was done.  That I would say is probably what everyone is referring to.  If it wasn't for the 45 minute rule that we had to wait for twice in the afternoon we would have been out by about 3, which is good if you got enough matches in.  I wouldn't say it consistently gets worse but rather it is very inconsisten from year to year.  If you took out Trinity this year it would have been a much closer tournament with all the other school that were there, but if you added in probably 2 more top 10 teams it also would have been closer overall.  Some years there are 20 teams,5-6 in the top 10 and other years there are only 8-9 teams. 

1. Debatable

2. Bulls***

3. not ranked, havent wrestled in years.  KWCA rankings are a joke, if you buy into them, then you must wrestle for Eastern.  Seedings were a joke.

4. 4 years.

5. Still too high.

I've run tournaments, dual and individual, so yes, i can criticize.

I think more the reason he said it is poorly run is just due to the fact that several kids had one match or two at the most.  Our 140 drew Porter first match and gave him a good one, lost by a few and then had one match 6 hours later and won and was done.  That I would say is probably what everyone is referring to.  If it wasn't for the 45 minute rule that we had to wait for twice in the afternoon we would have been out by about 3, which is good if you got enough matches in.   I wouldn't say it consistently gets worse but rather it is very inconsisten from year to year.  If you took out Trinity this year it would have been a much closer tournament with all the other school that were there, but if you added in probably 2 more top 10 teams it also would have been closer overall.  Some years there are 20 teams,5-6 in the top 10 and other years there are only 8-9 teams. 

I wonder how many of the Coaches knew the format before they agreed to attend a tournament that would allow your kid to wrestle twice with one win and one loss in 6 hours?

I am all for new formats for tournament to change it up in the hopes of getting more matches in less time, or smaller tournaments that end sooner, but the format used at the Big East seems to have only gotten everyone out of the gym early but with fewer matches.

I wonder if they charged the teams any less considering the fewer number of matches?

You never really know the format of the tournament because it depends on the year as well as the number of teams.  I believe it was four years ago there were only 7(or so) teams and we ended up doing duals against others instead of a tournament.  Last year there were 22-23 and it had to be run where you lose the first round you wrestled at best 7th place.  This is the same style of tournament that the Dragon Invitational is run (at least a couple years ago when I last attended) but they consistently have 18-22 teams.  We assumed since there were only going to be 11 teams (only 3 teams with 14 kids) that it would have been run as a normal 16 man bracket. 

I wonder how many of the Coaches knew the format before they agreed to attend a tournament that would allow your kid to wrestle twice with one win and one loss in 6 hours?

I am all for new formats for tournament to change it up in the hopes of getting more matches in less time, or smaller tournaments that end sooner, but the format used at the Big East seems to have only gotten everyone out of the gym early but with fewer matches.

I wonder if they charged the teams any less considering the fewer number of matches?

It has dropped off in the last few years. 

The tournament has one bad year and it gets all this crap for it. Last year as was said before this tournament had 22 teams which included Union County, Trinity, Fern Creek, and North Hardin

Olympic Wish,

You obviously just enjoy being offensive and critical of peoples hard work and don't think they should respond to your negative comments. It might not have occurred to you that your remarks were offensive to people who worked the Big East and tried to be gracious hosts. My mistake for thinking I could defend our school. And no I don't wrestle for Eastern I'm just a parent.

Olympic Wish,

You obviously just enjoy being offensive and critical of peoples hard work and don't think they should respond to your negative comments. It might not have occurred to you that your remarks were offensive to people who worked the Big East and tried to be gracious hosts. My mistake for thinking I could defend our school. And no I don't wrestle for Eastern I'm just a parent.

Offensive and critical, your way of seeing it.  I think it was poorly run.  I think it charges too much.  I think if they didn't lie about the teams, they mislead people about the teams.  Defend your school all you want, i've been defending mine _for years_ and will continue to do so.  Good for you for helping out, and I hope that you take the criticism from me and the other # of people here and make it a better tournament next year.

My bad Fern Creek was not there last year but North Oldham was.

Yes we were, this year we opted out to goto 5 star.  The reason I, as a coach say it dropped off was because I could not get a consistent answer weeks before of who was going to be present.  I enjoyed the tournament in the past, and looked forward to it this year.  However no one would respond to my emails asking what teams were going to be there.  It has been a great tourney in the past, and one down year or two won't hurt it.