Sign in to follow this  
ScareCrow152

WCI

I know exactly what Choate looks like and I saw him there during the ceremony and during the whole finals, I could even tell you what he was wearing. Thats no sportsmanship at all.

I know exactly what Choate looks like and I saw him there during the ceremony and during the whole finals, I could even tell you what he was wearing. Thats no sportsmanship at all.

OK i was with Dakota i took him home and he was at the tournament(because he wanted to watch my finals match), but had his medal before the award ceremonies and was confused whether or not he shouldve went up to stand because his medal was with his coach so he didn't know what to do! Dakota is my best friend and i know him very well and he would not intentionally disrespect any person he wrestled or any coach or any person for that matter!  It still amazes me how people on this website assume the worst things about people without even knowing them!

I apologize.  I thought I knew the facts and should have done what I wish alot of people on here would do and kept my mouth shut.

I agree with Granby that Dakota is a very respectful person and him getting his medal beforehand led to some confusion.

I apologize.  I thought I knew the facts and should have done what I wish alot of people on here would do and kept my mouth shut.

I agree with Granby that Dakota is a very respectful person and him getting his medal beforehand led to some confusion.

Why isn't anyone giving the John Kid (Webb) any credit for beating both Dakota and Chad Scott :?

If Dakota wasn't ready to wrestle and put his #1 ranking on the line he should have sat out, due to injury.  He wrestled and it didn't work out, NO excusses just facts.  Maybe next time the results will be different.

The bracket should the champion as a #5 seed, that seems impressive. :-o

I am glad that information came out. Although I am the one who made the post about this occurrence, I assure you, I was not the only one who noticed his absence on the stand. Few conclusions could be made about what happened last night, none of them favorable for Dakota. If this were not brought up, many would continue to have adverse opinions about him. I am truly relieved to hear how the confusion occurred and it all seems perfectly reasonable. Dakota, you are still OK in my book, thanks for the clarification. 

Like many of us, I respect the sport of wrestling and admire Dakota's accomplishments last year. I am sure he is a great kid and will be a competitor down state after resolving his injury.

Trent you looked great last night.  Today you should enjoy your victory, tomorrow forget about it and start practicing and preparing for state. You now wear the target on your back.

Sorry Trent for not giving you credit. My confusing a John Hardin kid with a Woodford County kid could be considered an act of war by some, my apologies.

WOW! whats up with Dakoda is he feeling OK?? This Trent Webb looked unbelievable!! very impressive Webb!

Why isn't anyone giving the John Kid (Webb) any credit for beating both Dakota and Chad Scott :?

If Dakota wasn't ready to wrestle and put his #1 ranking on the line he should have sat out, due to injury.  He wrestled and it didn't work out, NO excuses just facts.  Maybe next time the results will be different.

The bracket should the champion as a #5 seed, that seems impressive. :-o

Old School very well said, and to the point. Dakota is a outstanding wrestler, it just so happend he lost. Your only as good as your last match, next time will be a different out come. Webb very impressive and relentless throughout his matches!

SENECA FAN, yes Nickel got beat by Matt Green.  They are very evenly matched & always have great matches when they wrestle.  I wouldn't go shooting my mouth off about saying Derek will get beat & he won't win state.  That is not a wise thing to do.  Now, on February 17th, if Nickel did not win state, then by all means say you didn't think he would win state, but I would wait until then before I say anything.  By the way, I'll see you at church & tell Bryce I said hi. :-o

1st off: Dakota Choate just came off of an injury and spent the past week doing what he could to get back in shape and lose quite a bit of weight. He could have owned that tourny and i'm pretty sure that upset him. He also had to wrestle a consolation finals match where the ref, I assume, had no idea what stalling was.

3rd: I am actually a pretty big Elliot Martin fan but Matt Zarth is by far my favorite 119 to watch. He came in with a pretty hurt leg from what I was told and put up a valiant effort and got dealt some questionable calls. That was my favorite finals match.

Over all the tournament was great when it came to wrestling but there was definately some tension between some fans and refs but, then again, when isn't there.

I say that when you step on the mat you should first understand that there will be a winner a loser when you step off. If you can't handle being a loser than don't step on  (if your sick or hurt).  Also when you step on the mat you should understand that there will be three of you on the mat and if you leave nothing to chance (keep working until you take the third person out of the match ie. take downs in the middle of the mat not on the edge (you stay in the more middle and make him come to you if he is hugging the edge all the time), when you turn him to his back keep him there longer than 5sec (hold him for 15sec so the Ref  has to take a shoe off to count that high), don't ever go to your back (the Ref can't call you pinned if you have the other guy on his back).

If you can do these things, you should do well at state. If you can't do these, then work harder at practice until you can (If you don't want to then try BB, Chess, or knitting)

it was 135

and i agree with danger zarth is by far my favorite light weight to watch

alhough voth and martin give a close run

zarth has my vote

there was a very bad call towards zarth in the biggining of the match

i think by the crowds reaction they all agreed

285: was statten and Bullock from lafayette how did that one turn out pin i am guessing??

A pin by Statten, the freshman represented. Gr8 match for heavyweights, lots of action by both wrestlers. Impresive pin by Statten.

it was 135

and i agree with danger zarth is by far my favorite light weight to watch

alhough voth and martin give a close run

zarth has my vote

there was a very bad call towards zarth in the biggining of the match

i think by the crowds reaction they all agreed

Sorry but lets be honest, the crowd does not determine whether a call is good or bad, the officials do, I think they are more qualified. The HC fans were on the the other side of the gym and could not see what really happend. Zarth came close to reversing Martin, Martin locked on his ankle to force a stale mate. Zarth was never awarded control, so it is impossible to award any points, because he did not have any control. Martin is a smart wrestler, he did this on purpose to force  stale mate, he knew he was in no danger, if he was he would have bailed, he isn't stupid. It was a good call, this is the way it would have been called in any other state or in a college match. That is what happend, there is no argument, both officials obiously knew this was the case as well as the wrestlers. But you didn't mention the fact that Martin turned Zarth to his back and go a two count from the officials, its on the tape, and he recieved no back points, the crowd also booed alot about this. Martin will win by more points next time they wrestle.

Sorry but lets be honest, the crowd does not determine whether a call is good or bad, the officials do, I think they are more qualified. The HC fans were on the the other side of the gym and could not see what really happend. Zarth came close to reversing Martin, Martin locked on his ankle to force a stale mate. Zarth was never awarded control, so it is impossible to award any points, because he did not have any control. Martin is a smart wrestler, he did this on purpose to force  stale mate, he knew he was in no danger, if he was he would have bailed, he isn't stupid. It was a good call, this is the way it would have been called in any other state or in a college match. That is what happend, there is no argument, both officials obiously knew this was the case as well as the wrestlers. But you didn't mention the fact that Martin turned Zarth to his back and go a two count from the officials, its on the tape, and he recieved no back points, the crowd also booed alot about this. Martin will win by more points next time they wrestle.

Exhawk, I had a totally different take on that match. I wasn't rooting for a particular wrestler, however, I must admit, I was one of the many booing fans. I booed what I believed to be a blown call. It appeared to me the takedown should have gone to Zarth. Interestingly, Zarth believed he had the takedown that is why he went for Martin's head to score back points.  When I found out the official awarded the takedown to Martin, I booed.  Again, let me repeat, I was not rooting for Zarth over Martin. I just completely disagreed with the call.

Following the call, the come-from-behind-strategy changed the course of the match for Zarth. Being a ref isn't easy and these kind of calls occur in wrestling. This happens to EVERY wrestler at some point in their career; subjective, questionable calls with no instant replay. Many people believed Martin deserved the takedown.

Both wrestlers looked very good and very evenly matched. Either one could win next time they wrestle.

i couldn't have said it better

that is the exact moment i was talking about and i think it was probably the worst call made all night but whats done is done so oh well

What i saw at wci was pretty pore oficiated by the out of state refs, People dawg ky refs but ford was the best one there. In the martin and zarth match The first take down to martin was questionable but there should have at least been a reversal at the end of the period , either 2-2 or 2-0 zarth at the end of the first!

I usually don't complain about officiating because honestly, it does no one any good.  However, the only thing I will say about the officials at the WCI is towards the end of the tournament, it was to the point where I didn't care if they were making consistently good or consistently poor calls or judgements, I just wanted them to be consistent!!  The whole tournament, I could never get a feel for whether or not takedowns were going to be awarded or not, when the wrestlers were near the edge of the mat & their feet & knees were ob.  As far as Zarth & Martin are concerned, I actually pulled for Elliott because is a Louisville kid, but I think the takedown in the 1st was a poor call.  Just my opinion.  I'm looking forward to seeing a rematch if it happens.  As far as 119 is concerned, don't forget about Voth.  His match in the semis against Zarth was just as exciting as Zarth-Martin.