Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingforyears

UNDEFEATED

This is to clear up all of the rumors and misinformation about Joe Burroughs and No-Ox wrestling (these words came straight from Joe's mouth)

1) No-Ox was originally started by Joe for Matt Eck, Josh Johnson, Cassidy Veach, and Justin Burroughs.

2) The club soon expanded to include many wrestlers from all the hardin county schools(including Mark Jones).

3) The real story behind the No-Ox name:

A few years ago when Joe was reading a bodybuilding magazine he came across an article that was the inspiration for the name No-Ox (No-Oxygen).

The story was about John Defendis, an amerature bodybuilder who needed to win an upcoming competition in order to turn pro.

On a summer day in 1988, Defendis was in California training with pro budybuilder Steve Malich.

As the 2 headed towards the beach Defendis kept peppering Malich with questions on what it would take to win the competition.

Malich ignored every question, leaving Defendis somewhat bewildered.

As they dropped their gear and headed for the water, Malich trailed Defendis by a couple of steps. When the two were in five feet of water, Malich suddenly jumped on Defendis' back.

With all his strength Malich drove his training partner underwater and would not let up.

At first, Defendis thought Malich was playing a joke. But as he felt the grip tighten and his face being pushed farther into the bottom of the ocean, Defendis knew he was in a dire situation.

Defendis began kicking and fighting, his mind racing with fear as his mind began to burn.Finnally, the 90 second ordeal, which Defendis said seemed like an eternity, was over as Malich released his hold.

As the two made their way back to the beach, Defendis was outraged and demanded to know why Malich had tried to kill him.

What malich did was simply give Defendis the answer to his question.

Malich said Defendis would find succsess when winning was more important than his last breath.

Defendis took the message to hurt, winnig the competition and turning pro.

This story is very inspiring and now i just want to wrestle, just makes you think about how much work you put into one sport for the ultimate outcome...really great view on things!

Grow up kdsmith. You just demonstrated NO CLASS. If you have something personal against Coach Joe B then deal with it in private. Your comment speaks volumes about the apparent petty, obviously jealous feelings you have about another coach. Let's see if you are man enough to apologize for your derogatory indirect slam against this fine gentleman and coach.

I read page after page your "wisdom" posts on how to be a better coach. Practice what you preach!

WOW Coach kdsmith. Seems like you are cathcing some serious heat about your immature comments. kdsmith, WHAT SAY YOU?

1st off, I have no problems with Joe b. i consider him a friend and fellow coach. There is no jealousy, just respect for what he does. My only spite with Joe is that he doesn't see the BS you all are feeding him and not being able to work more with him. The fact is, I hope to be working more directly with him next season when his son starts JTA. So hopefully dispite your attempts he will continue to train young wrestlers and help JTA Middle School program. Your ridiculous attacks on me will not change my direction, cause at the end of the day i know that I've done all i can do to better the sport of wrestling in KY.

Lilreb and Sandman, who talk a big story. email me directly, and talk. don't hide behind your fake name. You know who i am, i don't hide it. how about you???????????

This is to clear up all of the rumors and misinformation about Joe Burroughs and No-Ox wrestling (these words came straight from Joe's mouth)

1) No-Ox was originally started by Joe for Matt Eck, Josh Johnson, Cassidy Veach, and Justin Burroughs.

2) The club soon expanded to include many wrestlers from all the hardin county schools(including Mark Jones).

3) The real story behind the No-Ox name:

A few years ago when Joe was reading a bodybuilding magazine he came across an article that was the inspiration for the name No-Ox (No-Oxygen).

The story was about John Defendis, an amerature bodybuilder who needed to win an upcoming competition in order to turn pro.

On a summer day in 1988, Defendis was in California training with pro budybuilder Steve Malich.

As the 2 headed towards the beach Defendis kept peppering Malich with questions on what it would take to win the competition.

Malich ignored every question, leaving Defendis somewhat bewildered.

As they dropped their gear and headed for the water, Malich trailed Defendis by a couple of steps. When the two were in five feet of water, Malich suddenly jumped on Defendis' back.

With all his strength Malich drove his training partner underwater and would not let up.

At first, Defendis thought Malich was playing a joke. But as he felt the grip tighten and his face being pushed farther into the bottom of the ocean, Defendis knew he was in a dire situation.

Defendis began kicking and fighting, his mind racing with fear as his mind began to burn.Finnally, the 90 second ordeal, which Defendis said seemed like an eternity, was over as Malich released his hold.

As the two made their way back to the beach, Defendis was outraged and demanded to know why Malich had tried to kill him.

What malich did was simply give Defendis the answer to his question.

Malich said Defendis would find succsess when winning was more important than his last breath.

Defendis took the message to hurt, winnig the competition and turning pro.

Thanks Josh, good explanation.

1st off, I have no problems with Joe b. i consider him a friend and fellow coach. There is no jealousy, just respect for what he does. My only spite with Joe is that he doesn't see the BS you all are feeding him and not being able to work more with him. The fact is, I hope to be working more directly with him next season when his son starts JTA. So hopefully dispite your attempts he will continue to train young wrestlers and help JTA Middle School program. Your ridiculous attacks on me will not change my direction, cause at the end of the day i know that I've done all i can do to better the sport of wrestling in KY.

Lilreb and Sandman, who talk a big story. email me directly, and talk. don't hide behind your fake name. You know who i am, i don't hide it. how about you???????????

Excellent kdsmith.

I suggest in the future, if you respect someone, like you claim to respect Coach Joe B, don't make ill remarks about him. Then you won't have to repair the damage. Very simple concept!

I don't talk a big story, I just don't want you to blow sour air that goes unchallenged. This is an opinion forum with diverse views, not a wrestling room where your dictatorship reigns supreme.

IMHO, Joe has been great for the sport and seems to be a really nice guy.  I'm glad to see him doing what he does for the kids and the sport.  Wish we had more like him......

He's the best of the best and very humble and a sportsman. If u want to be successful in wrestling then invest in Coach B and your investment will pay dividends over and over for years to come. P.S. know paid me to say this!!

WOW

Seems to me people are reading WAY to much into these posts.  I have read each post and see no slams or disrespect in any of them until the last few. 

My suggestion is to take the words for what they are. (words)  You cannot read emotion into words writtine down, therefore you may misinterpret the meaning. 

Very few of us are Shakespere and cannot express what we mean through writting as well as we can through the spoken word. 

Just ease off, settle down, and have some fun.  Either wrestle or enjoy being a spectator. (For those of us way to old to still get on the mat)

wow. it looks like you actually thought before you typed this time. first of all i didnt call you out, you called me out, remember? secondly , your 180 degree turn on joe b. is welcomed. i hope you live up to that promise of working with him instead of worrying about him getting credit for the kids who do well. in the end all wrestlers down in the etown area will benefit as will all the kids in the rest of the state that compete against them.godosh.

WOW

Seems to me people are reading WAY to much into these posts.  I have read each post and see no slams or disrespect in any of them until the last few. 

My suggestion is to take the words for what they are. (words)  You cannot read emotion into words writtine down, therefore you may misinterpret the meaning. 

Very few of us are Shakespere and cannot express what we mean through writting as well as we can through the spoken word. 

Just ease off, settle down, and have some fun.  Either wrestle or enjoy being a spectator. (For those of us way to old to still get on the mat)

Sorry Grap, blindness has fallen upon you. I know Shakespeare, he was a friend of mine. Hark, the cup runneth over with duplicity and discontent. Read not the written lines as the space between the ink can internally and mortality cut thy nemesis.

Apologies were made, let's move on.

I am not sure how this post turned from undefeated to Joe B. but after reading it I would like to add my personal experience--my son wrestles in Southern Kentucky--when my son--Cole and Joe's son were in 1st grade they wrestled each other at the elementary state tournament.  Joe's son won, but I think what happened after that defines the type of coach Joe B. is and why wrestler not only respect him, but actually LOVE him.  Even though Joe knew that our kids would continue to be rivals--until one of them grew--he told me that Cole had natural talent and if we were interested in getting together he would like to work with Cole.  I can tell you--we have been in many sports for several years and I have NEVER  had an opposing coach ask to work with my kids to improve their skills.  Needless to say--we took him up on the offer for a season (and would have for a lifetime if it weren't a 3 hour drive to practice).  During the time he worked with Cole he taught him more than we had ever thought possible.  He even opened his home to us on several occasions.  After we started working with Joe--we took another child with us.  The impact that Joe had on that child was unbelievable!  He is the first coach our children had been exposed to that just LOVED the sport and the children.  No matter win or lose--he made them feel like champions when they stepped off of the mat.  I know Cole was young, but athletes at any age can tell when a coach is truly concerned about them--that love and interest is why Joe B. is a GREAT coach--it also helps that he has more skill than anyone I know.  We haven't been with him for the last 3 years, but I will always consider him as a GREAT coach and a GREAT person.  He loves the sport and the athletes.  If we had many other coaches like him the sport would be unbelievable.  I think you have no idea how many kids Joe has influenced throughout the state--not just in the E-town area.  Joe is one of those people that makes me believe there is good out there! 

I would like to see Ashbrook and Isaac Ervin go at it . Dont know who would come out for sure but i think i might have to go with ervin

Ashbrook.  Mitch vs Ashbrook would be the other way.