Sign in to follow this  
grappler-of-old

Officials

Doubt he won't be there.  love him or hate him, he's consistent.

Barnett and Cole are my votes...whoever says cattan is consistent is wacked.  He has to be the most inconsistent (on purpose) ref there is.  The only thing consistent about cattan is he is controversial and a showoff.  If you like him, maybe you should request him to ref every match you or someone you love is in as long as its not me.

I think we'd be better off outsourcing to another state.

Barnett and Cole are my votes...whoever says cattan is consistent is wacked.  He has to be the most inconsistent (on purpose) ref there is.  The only thing consistent about cattan is he is controversial and a showoff.   If you like him, maybe you should request him to ref every match you or someone you love is in as long as its not me.

You say that we should outsource to another state. That is a reason that we can not build up a solid officials pool. There are a lot of guys that can do state and should be given the chance. If we do not give these guys a chance they get frustrated and stop officiating because they have been passed up and not given a chance to prove themself.

Mark Grahm is one of the better referees no one complains about him so that should say something. I don't think he is the region 1 rep. this year though Mickey Walls I heard was. Can anyone confirm this? If so year in and year out we have good referees.

whoever says cattan is consistent is wacked.  He has to be the most inconsistent (on purpose) ref there is.  The only thing consistent about cattan is he is controversial and a showoff.   If you like him, maybe you should request him to ref every match you or someone you love is in as long as its not me.

Two of the silliest comments I have ever heard on this site.

eaglewrestler112, who is your coach?  Unless he coached at Doss, he didn't coach Cattan in high school.  Anyway, back on subject, I think a lot of guys are leaving out Mark Shumate.  I like Barnett as well, but he has not been as consistent as in years past.  Also, like him or not, Jim Shaw is also a good official.  I don't have much experience with Cole.  If he is the guy I am thinking of, he reffed at state last year correct?

eaglewrestler112, who is your coach?  Unless he coached at Doss, he didn't coach Cattan in high school.  Anyway, back on subject, I think a lot of guys are leaving out Mark Shumate.  I like Barnett as well, but he has not been as consistent as in years past.  Also, like him or not, Jim Shaw is also a good official.  I don't have much experience with Cole.  If he is the guy I am thinking of, he reffed at state last year correct?

yes cole was at state last year

The Shaw brothers (i think wrestled for LaRue) in my opinion are biased towards LaRue, and also the teams that they lost to while they were in high school. Seems like they dont stop reliving their high school days and take it out on teams when they are reffing their matches.

The Shaws wrestled at Eastern.  I have never had a problem with Jim or Chris.  Just because they didn't give you a call or two does not mean they are terrible.  Like I said, like him or not, Jim Shaw is a good official.

The Shaws wrestled at Eastern.  I have never had a problem with Jim or Chris.  Just because they didn't give you a call or two does not mean they are terrible.  Like I said, like him or not, Jim Shaw is a good official.

No I am pretty sure they wrestled for Laure the younger one Chris graduated in 2002

Old Grappler, ever is pretty dramatic.  I don't understand why you think it is so silly.  Can you elaborate?

Both Shaws wrestled for LaRue.  The younge rplaced 4th one yr I think.

Grappler, dramatic.......nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooo wwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy

The elaboration would be that Cattan calls the match the same no matter who is wrestling. 

As for finding out of state officials.  This is the Kentucky State Wresting Tournament. Therefore you send the best officials you have in Kentucky.  As was mentioned.  Reward those officials that have worked hard all year in Kentucky.  They were the ones officiating the matches when we needed them during the regular season.  Don't abandon them when it comes to the post season.

The elaboration would be that Cattan calls the match the same no matter who is wrestling. 

As for finding out of state officials.  This is the Kentucky State Wresting Tournament. Therefore you send the best officials you have in Kentucky.  As was mentioned.  Reward those officials that have worked hard all year in Kentucky.  They were the ones officiating the matches when we needed them during the regular season.  Don't abandon them when it comes to the post season.

Agree completely.  Cattan may not be the best, but he is consistent.  My vote would goto Cole every time though.  You know he is consistent, knowledgeable, and he calls stalling in like 1.222 seconds.

Guest wrestler92

This year has been the worst one for Barnett in several years....He had a few good years and now people think he is better than he really is.  And is way too arrogant and thinks he is always right.  Cattan always wants people to look at him, thi past weekend he had several questionable calls that he called in some matches but not in others.  Shumate is pretty good and getting better every year, I know he has just started a new job and has been having some conflict with that this year and wasn't sure if he would even be able to get off for that many days.  Jim Shaw has good days and bad days, when he is having a bad day watch out!

Agree completely.  Cattan may not be the best, but he is consistent.  My vote would goto Cole every time though.  You know he is consistent, knowledgeable, and he calls stalling in like 1.222 seconds.

At least we agree completely on this OW :-o

I will have to go with Barnett . CATTAN AND COLE HAVE GOT TO BE THE WORST IN THE STATE!!!!!! They may be consistant but it is consistantly bad. Callen isnt the best either but id rather have him than the other 2. Barnett has always seemed to be consistant in a good way and Friddle is a good ref , maybe a little slow on calling a pin but all around a good ref.