Sign in to follow this  
I-pinned-em-all

Stand Out Wrestlers

Iron Man has closed it's doors for the most part to teams.  However, it never hurts to call.  By the way, most of these tournaments have application deadlines in the spring. 

Never mind on Sullivan,  too late for the Beast. 

This event is something Travis had to have known about; he choose not to enter.

Travis will complete his high school career and have great accomplishments, he should get credit for it.

He has the opportunity to enter senior nationals and Fargo if he want to get recognize for college.

If not, he was just another exceptional "KENTUCKY" wrestlers and that's all anyone will every give him credit for.

I agree 100% withh that old school. If he's looking to get any good colleges to look at him then he NEEDS to get out to fargo with the best wrestlers in the nation & truely test his skills on the mat.

Wow. 

It is amazing how so many people are planning this kids future out.

There are several possibilities here.

1.  Maybe he does plan to go to a big name D1 wrestling school.

2.  Maybe he has no interest in D1 and just wants to wrestle in college.

3.  Maybe he has no interest at all in wrestling in college.

4.  Maybe ha has no interest in college at all. 

5.  Maybe his true interests are in things more important than wrestling. I know this is hard to believe, but many athletes forgo their college careers and persue academic accomplishments.  How difficult would it be for an individual to go to pre-med or some other academically challenging field and wrestle at the same time.

I feel sorry for this kid. 

Not only is he trying to defend a state championsip title. He is also trying to become a rare 4 time state champion.  On top of this he is trying to complete a 4 year undefeated high school career. 

With all this on his plate.  He has people criticizing him for being at a lower wt, for not competing at high level tournaments on his own accord without his team. 

Let him be and let him do whatever he wants to do.  None of us MYSELF INCLUDED.  Knows what is best for this kid.  He, his parents and his coach have a much better understanding of what is better for this tremendous individual.

see what i dont understand is how u can take anything away from the kid (travis sullivan) he is a 3 time state chamion he by far pulled his weight at wayne county took his beating threw middle school wrestling in a higher level and decide after he got beat his 8th grade year at state he was going to be a winner, u say he dont wrestle no competion he's a 3 time freestyle junior olympic champion which i saw his matches against great competion there he beat the kid who won fargo there pretty soundly like 8-2 or something like that beat all the kids from ohio the 103 state champ who wrestle for ohio sampsons freestyle team, both the kids from mid-adlantic,and crushed the returning michigan state champion in the finals not to mention all the kids he has beatin from tennesse georgia and flordia at the dawg pound and tennesse tourneys he is flat out good he has consitantly beat D.C evans from whitley county its hard to beat a wrestler at that level every time he beat shane parks,adam carr,john voth,cornett, just to name a few he is flat out on of the best to come threw kentucky ever he finds a way to win every match he wrestles and that shows alot to me he will be a 4 timer casue he refuses to lose no matter who he is wrestling he pulls it out so in my opion why bag on the guy he makes kentucky wrestling look good

Is this where the problem lies???  Just because he chooses to stay closer to home and competing in different tournaments such as freestyle tourneys. 

Maybe we should get his resume and then decide how good he is compared to the rest of the nation. Ignorance may be bliss but ignorance also makes you look stupid.

Interesting topic on Stand Out wrestlers. It appears some believe the best record means the best wrestler. Sanderson and Gable have one collegiate loss between them and 7 NCAA titles. They are considered the best in college history by most sports enthusiasts. Therefore, whoever holds the high school record in the nation, should be considered the best high school wrestler of all time. Sullivan will hold that record at the end of the year. Sullivan, should be considered the best high school wrestler in the United States "of all time"? Afterall, he has the record, doesn't he? So next time anyone goes to Ohio, Iowa, Pennsylvania, remind them Kentucky has the best high school wrestler of all time.

Just to let everyone know, Gable only won two NCAA titles at Iowa State.  At that time freshman were not allowed to participate in varsity athletics.

I've read everything on here and obviously Sullivan's record speaks for itself.  No one can take away the fact that he is a three time state champion and barring disaster will win another one.  That's obviously more than every Kentucky wrestler minus three (Robbie Clarkston, Joe Carr Jr., Isaac Knable).  But when comparing who actually was the better wrestler you have to consider the road they took to get there.  Obviously Sullivan has had an easier road, than say Harrison Courtney, every time because his competition is made up of mainly underclassmen and middle schoolers.  Because of this I would consider Courtney and the other wrestlers who have been in the higher weight classes to be "better".

Wow. 

It is amazing how so many people are planning this kids future out.

There are several possibilities here.

1.  Maybe he does plan to go to a big name D1 wrestling school.

2.  Maybe he has no interest in D1 and just wants to wrestle in college.

3.  Maybe he has no interest at all in wrestling in college.

4.  Maybe ha has no interest in college at all. 

5.  Maybe his true interests are in things more important than wrestling. I know this is hard to believe, but many athletes forgo their college careers and persue academic accomplishments.  How difficult would it be for an individual to go to pre-med or some other academically challenging field and wrestle at the same time.

I feel sorry for this kid. 

Not only is he trying to defend a state championsip title. He is also trying to become a rare 4 time state champion.  On top of this he is trying to complete a 4 year undefeated high school career. 

With all this on his plate.  He has people criticizing him for being at a lower wt, for not competing at high level tournaments on his own accord without his team. 

Let him be and let him do whatever he wants to do.  None of us MYSELF INCLUDED.  Knows what is best for this kid.  He, his parents and his coach have a much better understanding of what is better for this tremendous individual.

Im not planning anyones future. Im simply saying if you want to be considered one of the best then wrestle the best. Plain and simple! Kyle did it, Murton did it, Peace is doing it and so is Reid.

I don't get it. This thread was started to discuss stand out wrestlers and the only one we discuss is Sullivan. It seems like everyone has to defend why he is so great. Why defend a 3 time state champion, he has the gold medals.  Obviously, he doesn't have the respect from all people for a variety of reasons. Some people think he the greatest of all time, some don't. I don't think he felt like a state champion after getting beat on by DC Evans for 5:30 seconds, despite the last second pin! Nevertheless, Travis is the man at 103 and 112. 4 timer to be, congrats!

Now what about the other great wrestlers?

Isaac and Luke Ervin, Wolsiefer, Peace, Elliot Martin are all great. If Courtney ever steps on the scales and wrestles this year, I will continue to believe he is great, but not until we see a weight and a match. Afterall, what is there to hide???????????? Courtney is the best wrestler in the state IMO.