Sign in to follow this  
Nathaniel Bryan

Constantly updating KY HS wrestling in the news links:

http://www.murrayledger.com/articles/2007/12/10/sports/sports04.prt

Lakers finish third at Hopkinsville

Staff Report

The Calloway County wrestling team took third place in the 11-team field at the Hopkinsville Orange and Black Tournament on Saturday.

The Lakers finished behind Henderson County and Tennessee's Brentwood Academy. The Laker squad topped Fort Knox, Fort Campbell, Christian County, Caldwell County, University Heights Academy, Daviess County, Ohio County and Hopkinsville.

Calloway had seven wrestlers finish in the top four in their weight classes, led by seniors Ryan Schoppe, 152-pound champion, and Levi Scarbrough, 189-pound runner-up.

Other placers were Matthew Oliver, third place in 140-pound division, and fourth-place finishers Keaton Starks (112-pound), Brandon Tibaldi (119-pound), Aaron Littlepage (145-pound) and Ethan Taylor (160-pound).

Individual results were:

103 lb. Joey Harrison 2-2

112 lb. Robbie Friedrich 0-2

112 lb. Keaton Starks 4-1

119 lb. Casey McKinney 0-2

125 lb. Jaylon Blanton 0-2

130 lb. Gary Thompson 0-2

135 lb. Charlie Courtney 0-2

135 lb. Shaun Spann 1-2

140 lb. Matthew Oliver 3-1

145 lb. Aaron Littlepage 1-2

152 lb. Ryan Schoppe 3-0

152 lb. Gabriel Martin 0-2

171 lb. Matthew Fry 1-2

171 lb. Hunter Arnold 0-2

189 lb. Levi Scarbrough 2-1

215 lb. Justin Hargrove 1-2

The Laker matmen will be in competition next on Saturday at the Armstrong Tiger Classic at Caldwell County.

http://www.murrayledger.com/articles/2007/12/04/sports/sports05.prt

Laker wrestlers take second at Henderson Co. Duals

Staff Report

The Calloway County wrestling team finished second in the Henderson County Duals Tournament on Saturday.

In the first round, the Laker matmen defeated Ohio County, 54-21. In the second round, the Lakers defeated University Heights Academy, 66-12, before falling in the third round to the host team, Henderson County, 52-24. The Lakers then rebounded in the fourth round, defeating Owensboro Apollo, 66-18.

Laker 119-pounder Brandon Tibaldi was named tournament MVP. Tibaldi, along with teammates Bradley Bryan and Levi Scarbrough, received awards for going undefeated in the tournament.

Individual results were:

103 lb: Joey Harrison 2-2

112 lb: Casey McKinney 3-1

119 lb: Brandon Tibaldi 4-0 (Tournament MVP)

125 lb: Bradley Bryan 4-0

130 lb: Gary Thompson 1-3

135 lb: Shaun Spann 2-2

140 lb: Matthew Oliver 2-2

145 lb: Aaron Littlepage 1-3

152 lb: Ryan Schoppe 3-1

160 lb: Ethan Taylor 2-2

171 lb: Matthew Fry 2-2

189 lb: Levi Scarbrough 4-0

215 lb: Justin Hargrove 2-2

285 lb: Jordan Mathis 3-1

The Lakers' next match will be Thursday night against defending state champions Union County at Union County. The Laker middle school wrestlers will also kick off their season on Thursday night against defending middle school state champions Union County.

http://www.thenewsenterprise.com/articles/2007/12/20/turret/sports/sports04.txt

sports04.jpg

Staff photo by John Neville

FORT KNOX WRESTLING COACHES have high expectations for (from left) Cameron Barrientos, Anthony Bailey, and Sean Garcia-Chavez. The three are expected to compete for the state title in their weight division.

Knox wrestling trio could go the distance

By JOHN NEVILLE/Turret Sports Editor

There

http://www.cynthianademocrat.com/cgi-bin/storyviewnew.cgi?081+Sports.20071219-4934-081-081006.Lead+Sports

Sanders becomes member of elite Harrison wrestlers' Bi-Centennial Club

By Joey Lewis, sports writer

Coming into the 2007-2008 wrestling season, Harrison County senior and wrestling co-captain Beau Sanders was only 16 wins shy of taking his place in the 200-win club of HCHS wrestling.

On Saturday, Dec. 15, in the third round of the Johnson Central Duals, Sanders defeated his Sheldon Clark opponent with a fall in 0:35 to grab victory number 16 on the season and number 200 for his career.

Sanders started his wrestling career in the sixth grade, posting a 9-2 record in middle school matches.

In seventh grade, weighing in at 103 lbs, Sanders posted a 16-14 varsity record and competed in regionals. In eighth grade, Sanders went to state competition for the first time after a 39-12 season.

In high school, Sanders was 38-9 as a freshman, 40-9 as a sophomore, and an amazing 51-5 as a junior.

Sanders has returned to represent the Breds in state competition every season, placing fourth as a sophomore and second as a junior.

After the victory on Saturday, the meet was paused and an announcement was made. Sanders received a plaque acknowledging his outstanding achievement.

Sanders joins fellow 2007-2008 co-captain and senior Josh Ashbrook in the Bi-Centennial Club.

http://www.cynthianademocrat.com/cgi-bin/storyviewnew.cgi?081+Sports.20071219-4759-081-081006.Full+Sports

Breds' grapplers picking up wins and confidence

By Joey Lewis, sports writer

On Wednesday, Dec. 12, the Harrison County wrestling team traveled to Covington Holmes to participate in a tri-match with Holmes and Simon Kenton.

The Breds were hurt by forfeits in their first match of the evening against Simon Kenton, giving up 30 points before the round began. The match ended with 30 points for Harrison County and 42 points for Simon Kenton.

Harrison freshman Brandon Barnett, weighing in at 164 lbs, was bumped up to wrestle in the 189 lbs weight class.

In the first period, Barnett jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead on a take down.

The Simon Kenton wrestler scored a reversal to tie the match at 2-2. Barnett then scored a two-point near fall, but had a penalty point assessed on the pinning combination, for a 4-3 advantage.

With only eight seconds remaining in the second period, the Simon Kenton wrestler scored a reversal for a 5-4 lead. Barnett then took the bottom position to attempt to get his two-point reversal, but was pinned 48 seconds into the third period.

?There was no question in my mind that Brandon got the fall in the second,? said Breds? coach Russ Riegel. ?But it was not to be. I was proud of the job our kids did on the mat, and I really couldn?t ask for more.?

Andy Lenz won by a fall in 0:59, Trevor Maxwell won by a fall in 3:10, Caleb Berry won by decision 12-6, Beau Sanders won by decision 6-2, Josh Ashbrook won by a fall in 0:48, and Bobby Barkley won by a fall in 0:51.

The second match of the evening was a lopsided victory for the Breds over a Holmes team badly hampered by injury and illness. The score was Harrison County 67 and Holmes 18.

The Breds? Lenz was moved up to the 119 lbs weight class to face Holmes? best man, who was ranked 17th at the time.

Lenz got a two-point take down and a two-point near fall for a 4-0 lead after the first period. Lenz remained on his game in the second round, battling to keep the 4-0 lead going into the third period.

From the standing neutral position, Lenz scored a take down in the third and ended the match 6-0.

The Breds? Ashbrook remained undefeated, getting a first round fall in 1:24.

On Saturday, Dec. 15, the Breds took a long bus ride to eastern Kentucky to wrestle in a round robin team tournament hosted by Johnson Central. Tates Creek, Powell Valley (Virginia), Sheldon Clark, Lawrence County, Perry Central and Johnson Central joined the Breds in the contest.

Tates Creek emerged with the tournament victory, although they did not face the Breds. The two teams did not meet due to a prior agreement to not meet head to head prior to upcoming Region 7 duals next weekend.

Harrison County had a bye in the first round, and picked up a big 60-24 win over Perry Central in the second round.

Lenz won the 112 lbs weight class by a fall in 0:58, in the middle of two Harrison County forfeits.

Ward, Maxwell, Berry, Chris Brunker, Sanders, Ashbrook, Mike Cordray, Barnett and Barkley came up with seven falls and two forfeits to lead the Breds to the win. Berry scored the tournament?s fastest fall in this match, beating his opponent in 0:18.

Johnson Central defeated the Breds by a score of 50-27 in the Breds? second match of the day, bumping up their two best wrestlers to beat Harrison?s Ward and Maxwell.

Ashbrook won by a 7-2 decision and Cordray followed with a fall in 0:42 to give the Breds? hope. Johnson Central proved to be too much, however.

In the day?s third match, the Breds defeated a highly ranked team from Sheldon Clark by a final score of 49-21. Going into the match, Harrison County was ranked 13th and Sheldon Clark was ranked 14th according to KHSAA tournament scoring.

The Breds? forfeited four matches, but won one back when Sheldon Clark was forced to forfeit the heavy-weight match.

Harrison County?s fourth match of the day was a 60 to 24 win over the team from Virginia, Powell Valley.

Lenz, Ward, Caleb and Coty Berry, Sanders, Ashbrook, Cordray, Eric Kiskaden and Barnett all took wins in the match.

The final contest of the day for the Breds was a rematch with Lawrence County. The Breds defeated Lawrence two weeks ago in the Tates Creek Duals by a score of 42-24.

This time around the addition of football players Coty Berry, Ashbrook, and Barnett to the line-up helped Harrison to a 66-18 win.

?I still have three football players who gave me their word they are coming out for wrestling,? said Riegel. ?You can see that could very easily mean the difference between and outstanding season versus a good season.?

The Breds came away from the day with several awards and medals.

The Fastest Fall trophy was awarded to Caleb Berry for a fall in 0:18.

First place medals were awarded to Sanders (5-0), Ashbrook (5-0), and Cordray (5-0).

Second place medals were awarded to Lenz (5-0), Maxwell (3-1), and Barnett (4-1).

A third place medal was awarded to Cody Ward (4-1) and a fourth place medal was awarded to Brunker (1-1).

Exhibition matches were wrestled between rounds and the Breds did very well in those. Casey Hill was 1-1, Kiskaden was 1-1, Coty Berry was 1-0, Seth Coy was 1-0, Brett Williams was 0-2, Justin Williams was 0-1, and Vince Whitt was 1-1.

The Breds will take to the mat next in the Region 7 Super Duals over the weekend of Dec. 21 and 22 at Dunbar High School. The teams that emerge in first and second place will represent Region 7 at the State Duals on Jan. 26, 2008.

Harrison County will face Woodford County in the first match beginning at 5:30 p.m. tomorrow night.

http://www.theandersonnews.com/cgi-bin/storyviewnew.cgi?003+Sports.20071219-2346-003-003007.Full+Sports

20071219-12253-003-003007.jpg

Anderson County wrestler Corey Vincent gains control of John Hardin's Houston Lundy during Friday's action at the Region 2 Duals, hosted by LaRue County. Lundy, ranked 17th in the state at 125 pounds, won this match over the 22nd-ranked Vincent, but Vincent won 4-of-7 matches. (Photo by Linda Ireland)

Isaacs perfect at regional duals

By News Staff Reports

Anderson County's wrestlers found where they stand with Region 2 Friday and Saturday at LaRue County High School. The Bearcats placed fifth among the eight regional teams competing in a dual meet. As expected, the Hardin County schools and the host school supplied the power of the region. Individually, however, Anderson got outstanding performances from Sammy Isaacs and Zach Cotton.

Isaacs, ranked third in the state at 145 pounds by Kentuckywrestling.com, was perfect in seven matches. Isaacs recorded four pins.

Cotton, a freshman, finished with five victories, all by pin, in seven bouts.

The Bearcats are without wrestlers in the 103- and 130-pound classes, meaning those bouts are automatically recorded as pins for the opposing team.

During the meet, John Hardin defeated LaRue County, handing the host school its first defeat by a regional foe in over 10 years.

Anderson County individual results (wins-losses-pins)

112 pounds - Hunter Lilly (3-4-1);

119 - Ben Joseph (4-3-3);

125 - Corey Vincent (4-3-3)

135 - Devin Jett (0-1-0), Ricky Kaelin (3-3-2);

140 - Jerry Hockensmith (0-1-0), Devin Jett (2-4-1);

145 - Sammy Isaacs (7-0-4);

152 - Drew Monarch (2-2-1), Chris Damrel (2-0-1), Zach Edwards (0-1-0);

160 - Johnny Powell (1-6-1);

171 - Tom McNaughton (3-2-3), Clayton Carney (1-1-0);

189 - Marcus White (3-4-2);

215 - Jonathan Haddix (1-4-1), Dylan Hughes (2-0-2);

285 - Zach Cotton (5-2-5).

Team results

John Hardin 68, Anderson County 12

Anderson County 46, Fort Knox 33

Central Hardin 53, Anderson County 29

Anderson County 60, Danville 12

North Hardin 58, Anderson County 24

Anderson County 60, Nelson County 18

LaRue County 60, Anderson County 18

http://www.ucadvocate.com/articles/stories/public/200712/19/04vm_sports.html

Braves wrestlers come in third this past weekend

Jerritt Hovey / Advocate Sports Editor

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Union County High School Braves wrestling team participated in the Harrison tournament last Friday and Saturday and came in third place behind Reitz and Memorial High Schools.

Final team scores were

Union County 54, Tell City 28;

Union County 56, Southridge 14;

Union County 42, Louisville Trinity 33;

Union County 73, Heritage Hills 6;

Union County 69, Forest Park 12;

Rietz 36, Union County 28;

Union County 30, Memorial 30;

Union County 71, Harrison 12;

and Union County 75, South Spencer 6.

Individual records for the tournament were as follows:

Neal Reburn (103) 6-3;

Jarvis Elam (112) 7-2;

Aaron Carr (119) 9-0;

Jake Wempe (125) 8-1;

Caleb Ervin (130) 6-1;

Luke Ervin (135) 8-1;

Matt Young (140) 4-5;

Isaac Ervin (145) 8-1;

Josh Willett (152) 3-6;

Mitch Ervin (160) 9-0,

Jarrod Burke (171) 5-4;

Diante Wright (189) 8-1;

Levi Griggs (215) 7-2;

and Steven Taylor (HVY) 3-6.

Aaron Carr, a junior, won all of his matches by pins and won his weight class. Following Carr, senior Mitch Ervin also won all of his matches, as well as his weight class, too. Ervin was also voted Most Valuable Wrestler by the coaches at the tournament.

The Braves will travel to Central Hardin this Saturday to compete in the Central Hardin Duals. Schools expected to show for the duals are Central Hardin, North Hardin, John Hardin, Larue County and Nelson County. First matches will begin at 9 a.m.

http://www.thenewsenterprise.com/articles/2007/12/21/sports/sports02.txt

THE NEWS-ENTERPRISE  Friday, December 21, 2007

PREP WRESTLING: Central Hardin Bruin Duals to be held at ... John Hardin?

By JOSH CLAYWELL

Due to a scheduling conflict, Central Hardin wrestling coach Russ Pike had two options when it came to this weekend

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20071221&Category=SPORTS05&ArtNo=712210516&SectionCat=&Template=printart

Friday, December 21, 2007

Q&A | Trinity's Brad Hitchings

Hitchings From Bob White

Wrestler Brad Hitchings compiled a 48-8 record as a freshman at Trinity, reaching the state tournament semifinals before losing to eventual runner-up Pat Banks of LaRue County, then claiming third place. Having grown three inches and gained 20 pounds since last winter, according to coach Eddie Rudolph, the 6-foot Hitchings has moved up two weight classes to 171 pounds this season. He is one reason Trinity is considered a strong contender to win the 2008 state team title. Hitchings is 21-1 going into tomorrow's Central Hardin Tournament.. After that, he'll compete in the Mater Dei tourney in Evansville, Dec. 28-29 and in the Jefferson County tourney at Seneca the first weekend in January.

The Courier-Journal: How long have you been wrestling?

Brad Hitchings: I started in the third grade. I wrestled for Fern Creek Optimist and won the state in the eighth grade. That's the sole reason I'm that good today -- I started off so young. My dad started the Fern Creek Optimist program, and he started the Trinity Shamrock Wrestling Club.

The C-J: Why did you quit football, especially at a school that has won 18 state playoff titles?

Hitchings: I was a running back-linebacker at St. Gabriel and I played football as a freshman at Trinity, but it cut into a lot of the wrestling season. I feel really close to the guys on the wrestling team. That is my team.

The C-J: Did you surprise yourself with such an outstanding freshman season?

Hitchings: I kind of shocked myself. At State, I stepped it up and beat a guy who had beaten me during the regular season after I lost in the semifinals to Banks. I had to win one more match after that to put me in the battle for third and fourth place.

The C-J: What happened in the loss to Banks?

Hitchings: He was up by three points with only a few seconds left in the third period. I tried a desperation move, and I wound up on my back. He didn't pin me, though.

The C-J: You're No. 2 statewide at 171 pounds, ranking only behind defending state champion Mason Reid of Ryle, who pinned you in the first period this season. What was that match like?

Hitchings: I started off the match really good, but I put myself in a position where he really wanted me to be. I'll see him again at the state duals and at the state tournament.

The C-J: How did you fare in national competition during the offseason?

Hitchings: I finished second in the 16-and-younger class at the National AAU tournament at Charleston, W.Va.

The C-J: Has moving up two weight classes made it harder to win?

Hitchings: I put on a lot of weight, but that was the plan the whole summer. It's worked out well. I didn't want to fight my weight this year. I wanted to get a full growth spurt going.

The C-J: Trinity's team placed fifth at the 2006 state tourney and seventh at the '07 meet. Sophomore Myron Bradbury returns and is undefeated at 103, where he was the state runner-up to Seneca's Elliot Martin last season. What are the Shamrocks' chances to move up this winter?

Hitchings: We've got pretty much the same kids back. Myron is ranked No. 1 at 103 as Martin has moved up two weight classes, so we're better and we're ready.

-- Bob White

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071221/SPORTS05/712210521/1031

Central wrestling team to host Rumble in the Hive tomorrow

The Rumble in the Hive duals wrestling meet will be held tomorrow at Central. Wrestling will begin at 10 a.m., with finals set to start at approximately 5:30 p.m. Admission is $5.

The 10-team field will include Seneca, PRP, Fort Knox, Fern Creek, Shawnee, North Hardin, Central, Doss, DeSales and Boone County.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20071221&Category=SPORTS05&ArtNo=712210516&SectionCat=&Template=printart

Friday, December 21, 2007

Q&A | Trinity's Brad Hitchings

Hitchings From Bob White

Wrestler Brad Hitchings compiled a 48-8 record as a freshman at Trinity, reaching the state tournament semifinals before losing to eventual runner-up Pat Banks of LaRue County, then claiming third place. Having grown three inches and gained 20 pounds since last winter, according to coach Eddie Rudolph, the 6-foot Hitchings has moved up two weight classes to 171 pounds this season. He is one reason Trinity is considered a strong contender to win the 2008 state team title. Hitchings is 21-1 going into tomorrow's Central Hardin Tournament.. After that, he'll compete in the Mater Dei tourney in Evansville, Dec. 28-29 and in the Jefferson County tourney at Seneca the first weekend in January.

The Courier-Journal: How long have you been wrestling?

Brad Hitchings: I started in the third grade. I wrestled for Fern Creek Optimist and won the state in the eighth grade. That's the sole reason I'm that good today -- I started off so young. My dad started the Fern Creek Optimist program, and he started the Trinity Shamrock Wrestling Club.

The C-J: Why did you quit football, especially at a school that has won 18 state playoff titles?

Hitchings: I was a running back-linebacker at St. Gabriel and I played football as a freshman at Trinity, but it cut into a lot of the wrestling season. I feel really close to the guys on the wrestling team. That is my team.

The C-J: Did you surprise yourself with such an outstanding freshman season?

Hitchings: I kind of shocked myself. At State, I stepped it up and beat a guy who had beaten me during the regular season after I lost in the semifinals to Banks. I had to win one more match after that to put me in the battle for third and fourth place.

The C-J: What happened in the loss to Banks?

Hitchings: He was up by three points with only a few seconds left in the third period. I tried a desperation move, and I wound up on my back. He didn't pin me, though.

The C-J: You're No. 2 statewide at 171 pounds, ranking only behind defending state champion Mason Reid of Ryle, who pinned you in the first period this season. What was that match like?

Hitchings: I started off the match really good, but I put myself in a position where he really wanted me to be. I'll see him again at the state duals and at the state tournament.

The C-J: How did you fare in national competition during the offseason?

Hitchings: I finished second in the 16-and-younger class at the National AAU tournament at Charleston, W.Va.

The C-J: Has moving up two weight classes made it harder to win?

Hitchings: I put on a lot of weight, but that was the plan the whole summer. It's worked out well. I didn't want to fight my weight this year. I wanted to get a full growth spurt going.

The C-J: Trinity's team placed fifth at the 2006 state tourney and seventh at the '07 meet. Sophomore Myron Bradbury returns and is undefeated at 103, where he was the state runner-up to Seneca's Elliot Martin last season. What are the Shamrocks' chances to move up this winter?

Hitchings: We've got pretty much the same kids back. Myron is ranked No. 1 at 103 as Martin has moved up two weight classes, so we're better and we're ready.

-- Bob White

Yeah, Hitchings will see Mason again at state and state duals. And he will get pinned again...and again. Booyah!  :mrgreen:

http://www.murrayledger.com/articles/2007/12/24/sports/sports04.prt

Lakers take to mat over weekend

Staff Report

The 2nd annual Calloway County Holiday Duals Wrestling Tournament was held over the weekend at Racer Arena where 10 teams participated in the round robin style tournament. Teams included the host Calloway County, along with, Caldwell Co., Carmi-White Co Ill., Daviess Co., Fort Campbell, Henderson Co., South Spencer Ind., Paducah Tilghman, University Heights Academy, and Hopkinsville. 

The Lakers finished one and three on the day with a first round loss to South Spencer Ind., 67-9. The Lakers rebounded in the second round defeating Daviess Co. 42-37. In the third round the Lakers fell to Fort Campbell 43-36 and in the fourth round the Lakers tied Henderson Co. 36-36, However, lost the match on the tie breaker 37-36.

Individual results for the lakers were:

103lb Joey Harrison 3-1

112lb Keaton Starks 1-3

119lb Casey McKinney 1-3

125lb Jaylon Blanton 1-3

130lb Bradley Bryan 0-3

130lb Gary Thompson 1-0

135lb Shaun Spann 2-2

140lb Matt Oliver 0-3

145lb Aaron Littlepage 1-3

152lb Ryan Schoppe 4-0

160lb Ethan Taylor 2-2

171lb Matt Fry 2-2

189lb Michael Treadway 3-1

215lb Justin Hargrove 0-4

285lb Wesley Potts 0-4

The Lakers will be in action on Dec. 28 and 29 at the Christian County Invitational. Friday will be middle School and Junior Varsity. Saturday willl be a 21 team Varsity Tournament.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2007/dec/22/union-unbeaten-in-tourney/?printer=1/

Union unbeaten in tourney

Gleaner staff | Saturday, December 22, 2007

Union County posted a 5-0 record in Saturday's Central Hardin Dual Meet Tournament.

The Braves, who are 20-2 on the season, had wins over ranked teams John Hardin (66-10), Larue County (51-18) and North Hardin (78-6). They also defeated Central Hardin (66-6) and Nelson County (72-12).

Going undefeated in the tournament were Jarvis Elam (112 pounds), Aaron Carr (119), Jake Wempe (125), Caleb Ervin (130), Isaac Ervin (145), Mitch Ervin (160) and Diante Wright (189).

Luke Ervin (135), Matt Young (140), Jarrod Burke (171), Levi Griggs (215) and Steve Taylor (285) were all 3-1. Neal Reburn (103) and Josh Willett (152) were 2-2.

Union County's B squad defeated Louisville Fairdale (56-24), Louisville Moore (54-21) and Meade County (40-39) before falling to second-ranked Louisville Trinity (51-20).

The Braves will compete in the Mater Dei Invitational Saturday and Sunday in Evansville.

http://www.carmitimes.com/articles/2007/12/24/sports/sports1.prt

Grapplers go 4-1 at Murray State

By TOBY BROWN, Times Sports Editor

In a 12-team field loaded with Kentucky schools, the lone Illinois and Indiana entries proved the creme of the crop at the Calloway County, Ky. Holiday Duals wrestling tournament over the weekend.

The event was held at Murray State University's Racer Arena Saturday. The 12 teams were divided into three pools. Coach Chris Courty's Carmi-White County Bulldogs went 3-0 to win Pool 1, while South Spencer, Ind. won Pool 2 and Caldwell County, Ky. took Pool 3.

The three top teams then met in a round-robin. CWC lost 49-27 to South Spencer, but defeated Caldwell County 45-31 to improve to 12-1 overall on the season.

In pool play, the Bulldogs downed Ft. Campbell, Ky. 60-22, trounced Hopkinsville, Ky. 65-15 and whipped University Heights Academy (located just north of Hopkinsville) 72-12.

Senior 112-pounder Paul Stanley went 5-0 on the day for Courty's team, as did senior Aaron Newman, who competed at 171 and 189 pounds. Senior Shane Sisco was 4-0 at 135.

In addition, Bulldog freshman 145-pounder Logan Rogers and senior Kevin Stucky (152/160) were each 4-1 in their respective weight classes, and juniors Wes Mick (125/130) and Jimmy Smith (152/160) each went 3-1.

Several of Courty's younger members got in some exhibition matches against varsity opponents. In the case of a forfeit, the grappler accepted the forfeit from the other team, then wrestled another opponent in an exhibition. In those scenarios, CWC's Trent Thompson was 2-2; Zach Templeton and Mason Siegel each 2-1; and Timmy Phillips, Patrick Holland and Koby Kisner each 1-2.

The Bulldogs were without sophomore 103-pounder Devin Wilson due to illness and senior Bobby Wolf recently suffered a broken leg and is out for the remainder of the season.

Other teams participating in Saturday's tournament were Paducah, Ky. Tilghman, Daviess County, Ky., Calloway County, Ky., Kenwood, Tenn., Henderson County, Ky. and Ohio County, Ky.

The Bulldog wrestlers will compete in the Herrin Duals on Friday (the tourney was originally scheduled for Saturday, but was moved up a day).

Here's a look at the CWCHS results from Saturday's tournament:

Calloway County, Ky. Holiday Duals

At Murray State University

CWCHS 60, Ft. Campbell, Ky. 22

103* - Torres (F) pinned Mathew Brown ©, :40

112 - Paul Stanley © pinned Smith (F), 3:17

119 - Sahms (F) dec. Michael Masterson ©, 15-7

125 - Bontrager (F) pinned Daniel Aud ©, :55

130 - Wes Mick © pinned Such (F), 3:40

135 - Shane Sisco © pinned Slocum (F), 1:41

140 - Jake Wheeler © pinned Tighe (F), 1:08

145 - Logan Rogers © pinned Collett (F), 1:15

152 - Kevin Stucky © received a forfeit

160 - Jimmy Smith © pinned Nikolao (F), 5:08

171 - Thomas Zirbel © pinned Cruz (F), 2:28

189 - Aaron Newman © pinned Nikolao (F), 1:34

215 - Anthony Wright © pinned Balecha (F), 3:02

285 - Rinestine (F) pinned Adam Combs ©, :35

* - Match started at 103

CWCHS 65, Hopkinsville, Ky. 15

103 - Brown © received a forfeit

112* - Stanley © pinned Trumble (H), :17

119 - T. Martin (H) dec. Masterson ©, 6-5

125 - Mick © pinned Rodreguez (H), 3:30

130 - E. Martin (H) pinned Aud ©, :34

135 - Mason Siegel © received a forfeit

140 - Wheeler © def. Jordan (H), injury default

145 - Rogers © pinned Wright (H), :51

152 - Stucky © tech. falled Wright (H), 20-3

160 - Smith © pinned Allen (H), 5:31

171 - Dillard (H) pinned Zirbel ©, :49

189 - Newman © pinned Arnold (H), 3:20

215 - Wright © received a forfeit

285 - Combs © pinned Tucker (H), :30

* - Match started at 112

CWCHS 72, University Heights Academy 12

103 - Willen (U) pinned Brown ©, 1:12

112 - Stanley © pinned Allen (U), :20

119* - Zach Templeton © received a forfeit

125 - Aud © received a forfeit

130 - Trent Thompson © received a forfeit

135 - Sisco © pinned Southall (U), :42

140 - Wheeler © pinned Quick (U), :30

145 - Rogers © pinned Allen (U), :47

152 - Stucky © received a forfeit

160 - Patrick Holland © received a forfeit

171 - Newman © pinned Farmer (U), 3:05

189 - Conner (U) received a forfeit

215 - Wright © pinned Matson (U), 1:11

285 - Combs © received a forfeit

* - Match started at 119

South Spencer, Ind. 49, CWCHS 27

103 - Cisneros (S) pinned Brown ©, :56

112 - Stanley © pinned Epperson (S), 1:56

119 - Masterson © pinned Vancamp (S), 3:45

125* - Wetzel (S) pinned Mick ©, 2:46

130 - Smithers (S) pinned Aud ©, 1:47

135 - Sisco © pinned Harmon (S), 2:45

140 - Small (S) dec. Wheeler ©, 11-2

145 - Ball (S) pinned Rogers ©, 1:17

152 - Stucky © def. Meridith (S), injury default

160 - Webber (S) pinned Smith ©, 5:28

171 - Finley (S) pinned Zirbel ©, 1:49

189 - Newman © dec. Cisneros (S), 8-6 (OT)

215 - Claise (S) dec. Wright ©, 9-8

285 - Orange (S) pinned Combs ©, 1:04

* - Match started at 125

CWCHS 45, Caldwell County, Ky. 31

103 - Smith (CC) pinned Brown (CWC), :39

112 - Stanley (CWC) pinned Wright (CC), :08

119 - Templeton (CWC) received a forfeit

125 - Young (CC) dec. Masterson (CWC), 13-3

130 - Mick (CWC) pinned Linder (CC), 5:45

135* - Sisco (CWC) pinned Hale (CC), :59

140 - Overby (CC) pinned Wheeler (CWC), 1:03

145 - Rogers (CWC) received a forfeit