Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

World Championships!!

Hey I just wanted to let everyone know that the World Championships are going on right now in Baku, Azerbaijan.  The Greco tournament has already been completed with the United States claiming its first ever team championship!  That's right I said it, we are Team World Champions in Greco-Roman.  The team performance was highlighted by a silver medal by Brad Vering (185) and a bronze medal from both Harry Lester (145) and Dremiel Byers (264).  This is all without the returning World Champion Joe Warren (132) who won the World Team Trials but was unable to compete in Azerbaijan.

The freestyle tournament got underway yesterday but with dismal results in our first two weight classes.  Henry Cejudo (121) and Mike Zadick (132) were both eliminated from the tournament by eventual bronze medalists.  However the rest of the tournament looks bright with Doug Schwab (145), Joe Heskett (163), Joe Williams (185), Daniel Cormier (211), and Tommy Rowlands (264).  Williams is a two-time World bronze medalist and also finished fifth at the 2004 Olympics.  Cormier was also an Olympian in 2004 finishing fourth in a very close match.  Schwab, Heskett and Rowlands are competing in their first World Championships but history is on their side.  Of all of the United States' World and Olympic Champions, most have come in their first trip to the World/Olympic Championships.

You can follow the results on www.themat.com where they have a special section devoted to the World Championships.  Go USA!!!

Hey I just wanted to let everyone know that the World Championships are going on right now in Baku, Azerbaijan.  The Greco tournament has already been completed with the United States claiming its first ever team championship!  That's right I said it, we are Team World Champions in Greco-Roman.  The team performance was highlighted by a silver medal by Brad Vering (185) and a bronze medal from both Harry Lester (145) and Dremiel Byers (264).  This is all without the returning World Champion Joe Warren (132) who won the World Team Trials but was unable to compete in Azerbaijan.

The freestyle tournament got underway yesterday but with dismal results in our first two weight classes.  Henry Cejudo (121) and Mike Zadick (132) were both eliminated from the tournament by eventual bronze medalists.  However the rest of the tournament looks bright with Doug Schwab (145), Joe Heskett (163), Joe Williams (185), Daniel Cormier (211), and Tommy Rowlands (264).  Williams is a two-time World bronze medalist and also finished fifth at the 2004 Olympics.  Cormier was also an Olympian in 2004 finishing fourth in a very close match.  Schwab, Heskett and Rowlands are competing in their first World Championships but history is on their side.  Of all of the United States' World and Olympic Champions, most have come in their first trip to the World/Olympic Championships.

You can follow the results on www.themat.com where they have a special section devoted to the World Championships.  Go USA!!!

Nice! :-D USA!!

Sammy Henson beat Cejudo in last year's National Championships and World Team Trials.  He went on to win a bronze medal in last years World Championships as well.  I don't think he competed very much if at all this year, not sure why, probably injuries.  I have heard talk that he will return for next year's Olympics but don't know if that will happen, he is pretty old.  I have also heard talk of Stephen Abas returning to 121 lbs for next year's Olympics.  Abas has been plagued by injuries the past few years and making the weight has been a struggle as well.  I firmly believe that if Abas returns and is healthy that he will win the whole thing next year.  He is awesome!  That being said Cejudo did not fare very well at the World Championships, he lost his first match.

The way the international tournaments work is if you lose a match then you have to wait.  If the guy that beat you makes it to the finals then you can wrestle back for a bronze medal.  Personally I don't like this method along with many other recent decisions FILA has made regarding international wrestling.