Sign in to follow this  
Allamerican125

Top Ten Seniors

On the nickle issue, i had the privellege of watching him wrestle at nationals in viringia this summer. He is the real deal, he wrestled tough and beat some very good kids. He has the skill to repeat, and since he won the state tournament last summer, he must be the favorite.

i think 2 of the most underestimated seniors this is the harrison kids Beau Saunders and Josh Ashbrook they are very talented kids and maybe in for a title if they work each other like they have in the past ashbrook has lost to the best kids in the state the past couple years would have been a 2 time runner up if not on the same side as murton last year and lost a very close final match to warner beau saunders has lost to 2 of the best the last 2 years at state to thueman and courtney  ashbrook may be a champion at 135 or 140 this year and saunders at 145 if courtney moves up or he may pull the upset

Talk is cheap ! Nickels proved he was #1 at 215 the only place that you can! And that is on the mat.

i am pretty sure matt green pinned him at least once and beat him two or three times last year

Green never pinned Nickel.  Green won by 1 pt at the Horsepower last year and 2 pts. at the Dragon Invitational.  Those are the only 2 times they met.  Like I said, the matches were very close.  They could have gone either way.  I look forward to seeing the 2 wrestle again.  It will fun to watch.

Just one more thing I would like to add about Derek Nickel.  If he was from Union Co., Woodford Co., LaRue Co., Fern Creek, Trinity, etc., we wouldn't be having this conversation either.  However, because he is from the lowly Region 3 school Doss, he must be a "fluke", right?  Sorry to all of you who are true wrestling fans and respect this great sport, but I just have no tolerance for those who want to disrespect their opponents or this sport with rabble and trash talk.  Respect everyone, fear no one!  Having an opinion is one thing, but trash talking and acting like a fool is another.  To Armbar, why can't Nickel beat Dials, Green or Chaney again.  He has never wrestled Dials, he has wrestled Green twice and lost, but they were very close and could have gone either way (1 pt & 2 pts. were the scoring differences) and he has wrestled Chaney twice (a 1 pt. defeat and a 6 pt. victory).  Don't just say he can't or that you think he can't, back it up with some good reasons or legit points.   

I agree 100%. Joe Powers went through the same thing. Everyone saying he is overatted and that he would never win "the big one",However they even said that a victory over thunemen would never happen seeing he lost to him in almost every tourney finals match southern and scott attended. But he worked hard and clobered him in the semi's at state.

Alright, it is time to come to the defense of my guy, Derek Nickel.  The only reason people think Nickel is a fluke is because he went from not placing the year before to being state champ.  Nickel is as talented as anyone at the 215 weight class and I would even say more talented than anyone in this weight class proven by his state championship.  You can't win a state championship and be a fluke.  He was always in every match against the best at 215.  At state, he did not give up an offensive point.  The only other one who can say that is Elliott Martin.  That's pretty impressive for a "fluke".  People said he would never beat Dockery and he did the week before regionals.  They said he wouldn't make it past Winter in the quarters last year and he dominated him.  They said he wouldn't beat Shipp in the semis because Shipp had just pinned who some people considered the favorite in the 215 weight class the round before, Adam Dials, but he won that one as well.  Finally, people said Deon would dominate him in the championship because Nickel just wasn't as good as Deon and well, anyone who saw that match or knows wrestling would say Nickel handled himself pretty well.  Nickel has a terrific work ethic and he has a lot of heart.  He never takes the easy route and always works his tail off.  I know because I get to see it every day.  Last year, Nickel had no one to push him in practice.  We didn't have a HWT or a 189.  Our 171 was a 1st year wrestler and out 1/2 of the year with an injury.  He worked every day pretty much by himself.  Can Chaney, Green or Dials say this?  I don't think so.  At least Chaney had Hardin, Green had Bullock and Dials had Kelly.  We finally got him some competition to wrestle the week before state and look what happened.  We do have some decent wrestlers in our upper weight classes for him to wrestle this year and I have a guy coming to work with him this year on a regular basis who was a state champ in Ohio and a scholarship wrestler for Ohio State.  He has improved two fold from last year and just keeps getting better every day.  People who come to wrestle Nickel this year better strap on their head gear extra tight, because they are going to be in a battle.  It is about time people start realizing Nickel is legit.  People better start saying when they come to wrestle Nickel they better be ready and not the other way around.  I'm not saying he can't be beat, because on a given day anyone can be.  I am saying however, that he is the favorite to repeat this year and I think he will.  I wrestled in Indiana and got the privilege to see some of the best that state had to offer in the 1990's.  I saw Pat Cassidy, a 3X state champ from Bloomington South, Andy Schneider, a 3X state champ from Mount Vernon, the Moldanodo brothers from East Chicago Central and the Levell brothers from Decatur Central of which all were state champs.  I know the talent level and work ethic it takes to be considered a legit wrestler and Nickel has it.  So please, keep giving Derek bulletin board material and some more external motivation.  He doesn't really need it because he is one of the most internally motivated people I know, but we enjoy it.  It just makes him look that much better when he wins.

Sounds like 215 will be very competitive. Matt Green is pretty tough in that class too.

i am pretty sure matt green pinned him at least once and beat him two or three times last year

only one person stuck nickel last year... and that was nickel. or i guess you could say the southern kid, but those who were there knew how it really happened.

Alright, let's go ahead and tell everyone how it happened.  Nickel got a little foolish.  He was on top and decided to do a cross face tilt.  He was trying to work on it for some of his matches on down the road.  He decided to try to work it during a match since he had no one to try it on in practice.  He sunk it in, but put his own shoulders on the mat.  The ref slapped the mat, the wrestlers went to the center and the ref raised the Southern kids hand.  Derek was shocked.  Let just say, after a brief conversation with his coach, he learned to bring his hips out from under his opponent a little bit more while attempting this type of tilt after that match. :-)

I remember someone tellin' me that happened when I was sleepin' in the bleachers and I laughed in their face. Then I turned around and saw Derek lookin' not-so-happy. Almost comical moment. I think everybody poked a little fun at him for a while after while.

alright dragon master

i never said nickel was a fluke

if u look i just said i dont think he will win

after last year nickel prooved he was the real deal and not some kid from doss that is ok

everyone knows he is here to work and is a real threat

people know they have to work now to beat him and wont think he is just a fluke

which in my opinion is what happened at state

they were like " oh its nickel ill win" and went out there cocky and nickel put it to them

this year they no he is a threat and will be gunning for him

they will go twice as hard and i just think nickel is gunna be the one to beat so he might not win

no "trash talkin" or"immaturity" just an opinion

i respect nickel and doss

i respect everyone

and its not that he is not capable of winnig again its just people r watching out for him now and it might be a lot tougher then last year when every thought he had no chance

no trash talkin

i give nickel his props

no doubt

alright dragon master

after last year nickel prooved he was the real deal and not some kid from doss that is ok

they were like " oh its nickel ill win" and went out there cocky and nickel put it to them

they will go twice as hard and i just think nickel is gunna be the one to beat so he might not win

i respect everyone

and its not that he is not capable of winnig again its just people r watching out for him now and it might be a lot tougher then last year when every thought he had no chance

no trash talkin

i give nickel his props

no doubt

Well it's always good to respect people.  Use spell check.  That's respecting us all.

alright dragon master

i respect everyone

no trash talkin

i give nickel his props

no doubt

prooved = proved

winnig = winning

talkin= talking

gunna = going to

dont =  don't

Guest KYwrestler06

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Jon Voth, he is a 2 time state placer and could win it this year at 119

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Jon Voth, he is a 2 time state placer and could win it this year at 119

Voth is very tough but last I heard he is going 125