Sign in to follow this  
Henderson140

UK Wrestling?

It's different for every school. It depends on the administration at that college / university. You'll have to talk to someone in Student Services if you would like to start a club team.

I actually started the club program at WKU back in 2000 with a couple other guys I wrestled with back in high school.  We had a great turn out.  I had to set it up through the intramural director and we used the mat room at the football stadium.  It went really well, then our mat time became very limited due to the football team and it started to fade.  I'm glad to hear it is back up and running.  How well is the club program going?

The club team wasn't a team really. I took two other kids to Cinci duals with me but they didn't do a whole lot b/c they didn't really get to practice. I was able to roll everyday which was awesome. At Cinci duals I went 4-1 and my first match I wrestled a kid from Bowling Green State and won 27-11, and my second match was a kid from dayton where I tech falled him too, another real high scoring match on my part. You can look it under the web page provided, I was the 184 for Indiana Wesleyan since we didn't have enough for a team and it was team duals. I went on to wrestle in the Rio Grande Ohio for a  tournament 3-1 and , Southern Indiana where I went 4-0, cant remember where I went next. After the tournament I cant remember, there was regionals in Grand Vallet State Michigan to qualify for Nationals in Dallas, Texas. Went 2-2 there took fourth, qualified for Nationals but didn't go cause of money and lack of mat time at this point with HS being over.       

As of now there isn't. There is no fund raising for travel expenses. I could get us on some mats too. We have to pay dues and fees per tournament to wrestle. The paperwork to have a club is already done through UK, it would only have to be renewed. Unfortunately there isn't enough guys that care.

did anybody hear anything about this? what ended up happening? this would be a very good thing if it turned out to be true, or if we could actually get a team going.

U.K. DID have a real wrestling team in the 70's but was forced to get rid of it because of title 9, They were very good too. You can find old clips of U.K. wrestling on youtube. Also Lindsay Wilson College just added a wrestling team that makes three college teams in Kentucky. Lindsay Wilson is about 10 min. from Campbellsville!

U.K. DID have a real wrestling team in the 70's but was forced to get rid of it because of title 9, They were very good too. You can find old clips of U.K. wrestling on youtube. Also Lindsay Wilson College just added a wrestling team that makes three college teams in Kentucky. Lindsay Wilson is about 10 min. from Campbellsville!

I talked to Coach Carr about that once. He says it wasn't dropped because of title 9, but for the fact of spending money else where. Title 9 was just a convenient excuse. 

I go to UK here and I see Ben Rupp every now and then. Ryan Mason from Christian County is up here as well as Cliff Cornett.

Brian Tolliover from Hoptown goes there to