Sign in to follow this  
risingtide160

BGSG 2

Guest cmccoy

I guess I should speak now. I have been watching this thread closely and finally I see some things that are helpful. I always tell my assistant coaches that if they have a problem or see a problem with the program they should come to me with the problem and a possible solution to the problem. It is one thing to complain about something and it is another to complain but have ideas to help with the situation. I would like to first thank a few people for volunteering their time to make the tournament run as smooth as it did. Danny Upchurch, Billy Clark, Tom McCoy, Paul Hogan, Chad Fyffe, Patrick McNutt, Clint Bell, and John Griggs. I know that Billy Clark checks this message board often and I know he is taking notice to the problems. My father, Tom McCoy (the announcer) is stepping down as Asst. Commissioner and Billy Clark is taking his place. I hope we can keep the numbers up and continue to grow. We will be glad to make changes and take all of the ideas into account. As far as some of the complaints about the tournament go...

Let me say one more time, NO ONE is PAID. Not even myself. I wish we could get more referees but it is hard to get them when the earn...nothing but a thank you and some angry parents and wrestlers yelling at them over calls.

We will continue to work hard and make this the best tournament we can.

Coach McCoy-

I know I speak for many expressing my gratitude for all the work you and your team of volunteers did.

One of the great joys this sport offers to old farts like myself is watching men like yourself taking the lessons this sport of ours offers and grow. Everytime I see you I remember that skinny little kid in a gawd awful burgundy singlet at Atherton High School asking me how to get votes for outstanding wrestler.

Before the movie, the coaching legend, Woody Hayes coined the phrase of Paying Forward. Your actions speak volumes.  You may never reap the rewards for what you do and have done for the KY wrestling community. But know this, You are appreciated.

~OF

All complaints aside, one of the best things I saw at the State Games this year was the amount of youth wrestling.  Whether or not those kids will continue to wrestle through high school (and hopefully after) is something that has to be left to time, but it's great all the same to see that many young wrestlers on the mat.  I didn't really look into it, but it would be nice if all those kids were from different places around the state, so that those numbers would mean that wrestling is growing as a whole.

Overall, I think the tournament was ran very well.  Yeah, there was some waiting around and all that, but understanding how hard it is to run a wrestling tournament with limited resources makes it easier to stomach.  If that's the biggest complaint, the finger probably shouldn't be pointed at the guys who ran the tournament; more of us who care about the sport and want an efficient summer tournament should volunteer our time and officiate or work tables.  With that being said, I have to wonder if the refs need to be licensed/certified or whatever term you want to use.

Just my two cents...

I have to agree with Coach McCoy.  Don't whine unless you are going to offer some real solutions as well as put your money where your mouth is and step up to help out.  I'm glad to see this topic evolve from complaints to people offering good ideas to improve this event.  I think this year was a mere bump in the road and the guys that run it will have it running like a clock next year (like the last 4 or 5 years).

Speaking of licensed refs, this is a great chance for the young refs to get some experience before the results count on the record books. 

Guest wrestler92

I too am glad to see the number of "little ones" out there.  And if anyone else noticed, that was by far the loudest mat for cheering and yelling....it was funny to watch it some.  My earlier comments were by no means complaints, merely observations and am thankful for some of the other people who had suggestions to make it better.  Thank-you to the above mentioned people from Coach McCoy for doing the tournament.  It's the first one I have been to in probably 8 years since I participated then.  Good job to all.

I noticed on the BGSG website that some of the results have been posted.  Does anyone know when the Midget / Novice classes will be posted?