wrestler4life

Any Divison 1 Prospects

I think the thing we need to keep in mind is we are definitely heading in the right direction. m.s. wrestling is growing, last year there was a youth state championship with a great turn out....i think youth wrestling clubs will start sprouting up everywhere there's h.s. programs soon. All of this just raises the bar for our state. It's just going to take time. In my opinion very soon you'll RARELY if ever see a h.s. state champion that didn't wrestle from m.s. on. Guys that start in the 9th grade will be just too far behind to catch up. This is a great sign for Ky IMHO.

I think the thing we need to keep in mind is we are definitely heading in the right direction. m.s. wrestling is growing' date=' last year there was a youth state championship with a great turn out....i think youth wrestling clubs will start sprouting up everywhere there's h.s. programs soon. All of this just raises the bar for our state. It's just going to take time. In my opinion very soon you'll RARELY if ever see a h.s. state champion that didn't wrestle from m.s. on. Guys that start in the 9th grade will be just too far behind to catch up. This is a great sign for Ky IMHO.[/quote']

couldnt agree with you more

Guest Anonymous

no body this year could go to a d1 school excpet for murton, but it all depends on how you do in nationals...also, a lot of kids could go to d1 schools that were excellent in ky but the fact that grades are important in considering scholarships and ACT's...some kids dont qualify for scholarships so they go to smaller schools...i guarantee some d2 or d3 wrestlers could do very well against d1 wrestlers....just because you have the title of a d1 athlete doesn't mean that a d2 or d3 athlete can't beat them....for instance this is off subject though..if im correct Mark Brunell didn't play high school football or college football and he was an outsatnding QB in the NFL, but thats quite different

no body this year could go to a d1 school excpet for murton' date=' but it all depends on how you do in nationals...also, a lot of kids could go to d1 schools that were excellent in ky but the fact that grades are important in considering scholarships and ACT's...some kids dont qualify for scholarships so they go to smaller schools...i guarantee some d2 or d3 wrestlers could do very well against d1 wrestlers....just because you have the title of a d1 athlete doesn't mean that a d2 or d3 athlete can't beat them....for instance this is off subject though..if im correct Mark Brunell didn't play high school football or college football and he was an outsatnding QB in the NFL, but thats quite different[/quote']

id say starks could deffinetly go d1, no doubt.

Ole BadAzz has a point actually, look at UC's basketball program of former Junior College players. Well, thats over now that they got rid of Huggins (thank god, i hate that guy) ... but like or hate the attitude of the UC players they went to a Junior College basically because they couldn't test well enough for anything else academically. Which is part of the reason huggins got fired, helping morons into a university trying to up its academic standards. But when it came to raw basketball talent they were good, like the D2 guys in wrestling that exist out there that BadAzz is talking about.

However, for the most part its simply because the D1 guys are the premier atheletes is why they're not in D2, not smarts or finances.

One more note, i don't like UC in the least ... but i set that aside because they were a good example of what he was talking about. Do you guys in Lexington dislike them in basketball as much as the guys up here in Northern Ky ? Because thats a huge rivalry between them and UK here even though they rarely ever play. I'm thinking its being a Cincy suburb but located in Ky responsible for that.

Recruiting in wrestling is alot like any other sport, the high school season doesnt have the importance it used to have. Its like any other sport (except football) the recruiting is done during the "Open Season". Thats when coaches can really get out and watch kids compete against one another on a national scale, which is what recruiting is all about, trying to lure the best kids (athletically and academically) to their school. Its not about raw talent its about getting the kids most likely to succeed on the mat and in the class room to their schools. They all have limited monies available to invest, so its a calculated risk on their investment.

Full rides are very rare, consider the fact that schools charge $15K-$30K for a year of tuition depending on the school and then theres housing, food, etc...... A four year full ride is a big total investment, you do the math 4 X $. Coaches are judged not just on wins and losses but also on how the limited monies available are allocated which usually reflects heavily in their wins and losses.

I have rambled, but my point is this, some of the KY kids will undoubtedly recieve offers from all types of schools, but mostly they will be partial offers that will not enable the kids to realistically consider the school because of the overall expenses associated with a college education.

This is even more of an issue with KY kids because they are forced with out of state tuition rates because their are no D1 schools in KY offering wrestling.

To the guy calling JC kids at Cincy "MORONS", how bout a reality check! These kids are just trying to survive. Alot of these kids didnt have alot to begin with, so for them to play at a D1 is awesome. If UC didnt like the money from basketball they would have changed a long time ago. If you had a chance to play at a big time school for a big time coach who has turned out quite a few millionaires in his career, what would you do. Alot of those kids are making good money and have a stable life because of the time Huggins gave them at UC. They may not have graduated but they have the experience and that can be all the difference for alot of these kids.

It can happen for KY kids, and I hope they all get opportunities to further their wrestling career in college. But they really need to hit the books hard and attend off season nationals to get the most recognition.

Some of these kids trying to survive that Huggins picked ... did the following. One punched a Cincinnati police horse in the face, one tied a guy up and scalded him with hot metal wires and threw weights at his head, another got picked up for DUI (so did Huggins actually), it goes on and on, and few graduated. If they didn't have the skills to graduate, its probably because they goofed off in high school. Public school is free, nothing elitist about that.

The reality is, Huggins picked mostly idiots and UC finally did something about it. Some of them weren't, i liked Van Exel and Martin, some of them were. They fired him, not me. I don't think anyone would defend the guys i brought up. I don't call that trying to survive. Surviving on UC's campus requires going to class and practicing hard, then getting to the pros and helping out your family. Or, if you're not good enough for pro sports, getting your education and getting a job to help your family and yourself. Not playing the fool.

My point was simply that these guys didn't make the grade academically, obviously, but were still astounding atheletes and hence ended up JuCo. I felt UC's on court success was a good illustration of this. The vast majority of D2 and Ju Co atheletes have better integrity, and there are atheletes among them that are overlooked. And its not always from their grades, several D2 schools have fine academic credentials. Some come up a little short on ACT scores and money, so hence they also go D2 or Ju Co .... but at least those guys tried. And thats commendable and worthy of respect. Places like Duke require atheletes to be premier students too, and thats not always practical. But, at least most of those guys in D2 or JuCo are doing what they can with what they have to the best of their ability in the classroom. Because the vast majority of guys never go pro.

I got to rambling there prviously too eville dad, i wish i had focused my previous post better !

Grapplin,

Good post, points well taken. I just dont like to hear kids called names when it only applies to the few and not the majority who are trying to better themselves through participation or graduation.

I also want to point out that alot of D2 and smaller schools are better academically than the larger D1 schools. Many of the D2, D3 schools are private schools with much higher standards than the large D1 schools with 10,000+ students. Many kids actually prefer the smaller schools because of the lower professor to student ratios and unique aspects smaller schools can provide versus the larger campuses where kids can easily get lost in the crowd. Some athletes actually prefer the smaller D2/D3 campuses and elect to attend those schools by choice not because they cant get accepted at D1. This is especially true in KY for wrestling where the only programs are good quality schools but not D1.

Guest Anonymous

not to dog on my boy starks....he is not D1 material....u might ask him that and ask him what his plans are.....but he's not...tell me, all of you who think he can do it, which d1 school could he wrestle for? and ill let you know if he can do it...he is not nearly as strong as thoses guys at the weight he is at, and not quick enough or technical enough...he is technical when it comes to ky but tell me something....ohio state? illinois? IU? nope cant do it sorry

not to dog on my boy starks....he is not D1 material....u might ask him that and ask him what his plans are.....but he's not...tell me' date=' all of you who think he can do it, which d1 school could he wrestle for? and ill let you know if he can do it...he is not nearly as strong as thoses guys at the weight he is at, and not quick enough or technical enough...he is technical when it comes to ky but tell me something....ohio state? illinois? IU? nope cant do it sorry[/quote']

ya hes not as strong as the guys he wrestles because he was like 10-15 pounds lighter than them, i cant see him getting a full ride but i can see him going d1 with a partial or half scholarship.

Heres your D1 schools with wrestling, I think a few of our kids are good enough to make the squad but doubt many will be found at these schools come next wrestling season.

American University

Appalachian State University

Arizona State University

State University of New York

Bloomsburg University of Pennslyvania

Boise State University

Boston University

Brown University

Bucknell University

University at Buffalo

California Polytechnic State University

California State University

California State University, Fullerton

University of California, Davis

Campbell University

Central Michigan University The Citadel Charleston SC 29409-6150 Southern Conferenc Southern Conference

Clarion University of Pennsylvania

Cleveland State University

Columbia University-Barnard College

Cornell University

Davidson College

Delaware State University

Drexel University

Duke University

East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania

Eastern Illinois University

Eastern Michigan University

Franklin & Marshall College

Gardner-Webb University

George Mason University

Harvard University

University of Illinois

Indiana UniversityUniversity of Iowa Iowa City IA 52242 Big 10 Conferenc Big Ten Conference

Iowa State University

James Madison University

Kent State University

Lehigh University

Lock Haven University

University of Maryland

University of Michigan

Michigan State University

Millersville University of Pennsylvania

University of Minnesota

University of Missouri

University of Nebraska

North Carolina State University

University of North Carolina

University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Northern Illinois University

University of Northern Iowa

Northwestern University

Ohio State University

Ohio University

University of Oklahoma

Oklahoma State University

Old Dominion University

University of Oregon

Oregon State University

University of Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania State University

University of Pittsburgh

Portland State University

Princeton University

Purdue University

Rider University

Rutgers

Sacred Heart University

Slippery Rock University

Stanford University

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Chattanooga

U.S. Air Force Academy

U.S. Military Academy

U.S. Naval Academy

Utah Valley State

University of Virginia Charlottesville

Virginia Military Institute

Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University

Wagner College

West Virginia University

University of Wisconsin

Guest Anonymous

im sorry, but if D1 level is a lot different than those who know little may seem...go to some intense college wrestling camps....the camps may sometimes show you a glimpse of a practice in about 30 minutes but times that by 10 and there u go...gramy camps in virginia and missouri showed me a small glimpse...its go go go...they don't stop..they are expected to know everything, they don't stop and teach a move to the whole group...u either know it or you learn it by watching it becuase u r that experienced...the intensity level is incredible....i thought our practices were hard but nothing like college period...those of you can say what you think u know about the d1 level but no one from ky can make it there, except maybe one person, murton....and he wont go to an outstanding school unless he does excellent in senior nationals...i dont see anybody else excelling in senior nationals besides him and it will even be hard for him to do so, so thats my last point about that...

I might agree on some of these schools. even a majority of these schools, but certainly not Nebraska, Minnasota, West Virginia, Michigan..These schools are premier schools for wrestling. I think it is awsome that Ruschell signed with a major school.Other than Murton and Shearer(forgive the spelling) I cant see anyone else in the state right now going MAJOR division 1.

I don't even think Scherer could make it at a major division I school. The only wrestler who could make it at one of those would be Murton and that's even questionable. Scherer and Starks could both make it at small division I schools but I would think they would be better off at division II.

I think Jacob Murton is one of the top kids at his optimal weight and has the skills to wrestle with any D1. Just compare Murton to some of the kids that are signing with D1 and his credentials stand up very well.

I still think some of the other top KY kids could wrestle with some D1 if they had the desire but doubt that they will pursue it.

BAP,

I dont doubt what you say about the D1 rooms being crazy and tough.

Where do you wrestle?

The DI schools are crazy and tough. I wrestle for a DII school and our room is insane compared to Woodford's room when I was there. I can't imaging what Minnesota's or Iowa's room is like. Look at some old tapes of Iowa wrestling, when Gable was there. What do you think they had to do to get in that kind of shape?

I don't even think Scherer could make it at a major division I school. The only wrestler who could make it at one of those would be Murton and that's even questionable. Scherer and Starks could both make it at small division I schools but I would think they would be better off at division II.
I'd say Murton is a little more than questionable, but not much more. I agree totally with you assessment about Scherer. Starks needs to go Division II, if not lower.

I have to disagree. Starks and Scherer are on the same level. In fact I would venture to say that Starks is better than Scherer and would beat him in a match, it would be close though. Murton is the only one who would have a chance to be an All American at a DI school. Starks and Scherer might be able to qualify once or twice. However as I said before I think they both would be better off in Division II.

I think everyone is missing the point that D1 is not just Big Ten and Big 12 schools. Theres plenty of D1 schools our kids could hook up with and wrestle their way to a spot. D1 or D2 or any level, I am saying that with a full understanding that the programs are hard and beyond what most have experienced at high school. But I think the KY kids would grow with the experience like any other kids and rise to the occassion. I'm not saying they would walk in and get a varsity spot and win an NCAA Championship their freshman year. But over the course of 3-5 years, I do believe that if they have the desire and committment, the same as with most successful high school wrestlers, they could learn to wrestle competitively and have a rewarding and successful collegiate career. Im sure most kids thought the high school wrestling room was tough anc crazy when they started, no different in college. One of the biggest factors is heart and how bad they want to do it.

I guess I have to ask the people who have commented on this post negatively about KY kids wrestling in college if they have any personal experience with collegiate wrestling and how they survived it? Then compare their high school success to some of the kids that are being criticized. Point being that if they survived and they arent 2x or 3x state champs then the current 2x and 3x champs and nationally competitive kids should do ok.

Good example is Knable at IU, he was a 4x KY State champ. He has worked hard and is seeing some varsity time for a good IU squad and its his 3rd year, I think. What other KY kids are wrestling in college?

I think everyone is missing the point that D1 is not just Big Ten and Big 12 schools. Theres plenty of D1 schools our kids could hook up with and wrestle their way to a spot. D1 or D2 or any level' date=' I am saying that with a full understanding that the programs are hard and beyond what most have experienced at high school. But I think the KY kids would grow with the experience like any other kids and rise to the occassion. I'm not saying they would walk in and get a varsity spot and win an NCAA Championship their freshman year. But over the course of 3-5 years, I do believe that if they have the desire and committment, the same as with most successful high school wrestlers, they could learn to wrestle competitively and have a rewarding and successful collegiate career. Im sure most kids thought the high school wrestling room was tough anc crazy when they started, no different in college. One of the biggest factors is heart and how bad they want to do it.

I guess I have to ask the people who have commented on this post negatively about KY kids wrestling in college if they have any personal experience with collegiate wrestling and how they survived it? Then compare their high school success to some of the kids that are being criticized. Point being that if they survived and they arent 2x or 3x state champs then the current 2x and 3x champs and nationally competitive kids should do ok.

Good example is Knable at IU, he was a 4x KY State champ. He has worked hard and is seeing some varsity time for a good IU squad and its his 3rd year, I think. What other KY kids are wrestling in college?[/quote']I believe this will be Todd Allen's last year at Cumberland. He was an All-American last year (3rd maybe).

:twisted: these are some wrestlers from ky that are wrestling at cumberland:

Todd allen

josh boggs

kris perry

jerrett weston

michael berding

marcus bradburry

josh hardtke

Brad cooper

rollie casson

william clark

anthony green