wrestler4life

Any Divison 1 Prospects

I think a great goal for Ky wrestling would be making the top 20 states at nationals and then go from there. Ky is the 25th most populous state, so finishing anything above 25th could be written off as a result of hard work and a growing tradition. Kind of like the 130 pound wrestler that can bench a 225 max. He's never gonna outlift a 189 pounder, but pound for pound he's outrageously strong.

Don't forget, Ohio is the 7th most populous state. Pennsylvania is 6th, and Michigan is 8th. All powerhouse states. Catching them is unrealistic no matter how much work and tradition goes into it due to sheer population difference. That is, if a kid has a 1% chance of being a good wrestler, multiplying that by the larger population yields more good wrestlers. So, no matter what Ky is at a disadvantage there. But it does have its standouts nonetheless, look at Ruschelle.

Don't knock on Ky wrestling, pound for pound as i put it, its coming along. And i agree with you Rambo, a lot of improvement would happen if they had the chance to wrestle D1 guys more often. But right now they don't get that opportunity, so i can't classify them as D1 material.

I'm not dogging kentucky wrestling, but you guys are just so stubern to not see whats right in front of you... Honestly how many of you have gone to senior nationals with in the past 5 years? How many of you have gone to not only the state tournament but districs and sectional tournaments in ohio? How many of you have been to fargo? I have been to these tournaments so i for once know what the heck im talking about... I have family that wrestles in both ohio and wisconsin and seeing all of that talent and wrestlers who i thought could've gone d1 and dont... makes me realize that our great wrestlers arent great outside of the state. Starks is good really good and so are the others mentioned but i just dont see them going to d1 UNLESS, UNLESS...he places at one of those tournament mentioned above... Ya'll can say what you want but im entitled to my opinion and thats just how it is cause a HASBEEN said so....

hasbeen,

If you read my post closely i'm agreeing with you, but being diplomatic at the same time. I felt i was pretty even handed there.

Unless that remark wasn't intended for me.

grapplinfan, none of my comments have been intended for you, i know that you agree with me and i might be too upfront about it and definently not diplomatic but i just have seen a lot of wrestling and i have an opinion and i'm entitled to that opinion... and thats the way it is cause a HASBEEN said so!

Good deal. It always takes a strong personality to get a good conversation started anyway. Otherwise, its just a bunch of giving each other high fives. And thats not always the most constructive thing !

If you want any sort of scholarship you have to compete in national tournys. D1 schools look at what you do out of state. For instance a wrestle who goes 100-50 in his high school career but places at a few national tournaments is definetly gonna go D1 before a guy who is 200-0 but never competed out of state.

I'm not dogging kentucky wrestling, but you guys are just so stubern to not see whats right in front of you... Honestly how many of you have gone to senior nationals with in the past 5 years? How many of you have gone to not only the state tournament but districs and sectional tournaments in ohio? How many of you have been to fargo? I have been to these tournaments so i for once know what the heck im talking about... I have family that wrestles in both ohio and wisconsin and seeing all of that talent and wrestlers who i thought could've gone d1 and dont... makes me realize that our great wrestlers arent great outside of the state. Starks is good really good and so are the others mentioned but i just dont see them going to d1 UNLESS, UNLESS...he places at one of those tournament mentioned above... Ya'll can say what you want but im entitled to my opinion and thats just how it is cause a HASBEEN said so....

Hasbeen - it's been a while since i read this thread....i know you're not dogging Kentucky, but don't hype up senior nationals too much....we've had guys from kentucky place there that weren't considered the "Kyle Ruschelle" of their senior class. I say that as in being someone who clearly stands out from the croud. I don't want to insult some former wrestlers, but we've had guys from Kentucky go there that were very good wrestlers, but not super-stars even by Kentucky standards, and have placed. Our guys can compete there. If starks trains hard, and gets to the right weight class.....i believe he could place there. He's got access to some great coaches. If he wants to wrestle D1, he can do it. Jr Nationals is another story in my opinion....we don't wrestle enough greco & freestyle in this state. We'll never shine at Fargo until we do that.

Now about the Ohio thing....once again, don't hype them up too much. Yes, we've all heard of stories of Ohio placers pinning our state champs, etc...and we know about the super star guys in Ohio such as the Schlaters. But every once in a while, probably more often than you'd think....we have a guy or 2 that could beat an Ohio state champ. Not trying to start this tired old argument back up....but it's not as bad as you think...and the future looks very bright! HALF THE BATTLE IS MENTAL.... Ohio kids BELEIVE they are the best in the country....ask them, they'll tell you! Our guys gotta start believing that too.

Great post pioneer-pride, I agree completely, especially about the battle being mental. That's what it's all about in college.

Thanks....i hope some of our guys take it to heart. This is very much a mental sport, and Ohio guys just have it in their head that they won't/can't lose to a Kentucky guy. That's a HUGE advantage. Our guys gotta stop thinking they can't hang with Ohio & other big wrestling states.

Taylor Sherer was nationally ranked last year so he is D1 material.Murton is (also mentioned) by win magazine so he could be D1 material also....

As far as how Ky stacks up against Ohio all I have to say is the Murtons. Maybe someone could correct me here, but one of the Murtons placed fifth at the Ohio state tourney as a freshmen. They move to Ky and dominate.

Grapplinfan. Thats exactly what I mean. They were brought up in the sport elsewhere and the move here into their highschool career and are dominating. My hope is that one day (maybe when my two sons have sons in middle or high school) we will be able to compete with our neighboring states on the same level.

refdad,

I dont think it has as much as what state they came from as to what kind of athletes they are and the training they have received. Just because someone comes from out of state doesnt automatically qualify them as a contender for state champ. The fact that Jacob finished 5th as a freshman should tell you something. Its not like an average wrestler from Ohio showed up in KY and was overnight dominating KY. Ohio kids get beat just like anyone else, good wrestlers are good wrestlers whether they are from OH or KY.

:twisted: eville dad your right but you probably wont see the same type of training down here as you would up in ohio and thats the difference.

I disagree, our better programs train very effectively and probably use some of the same methods that are used in their better programs. Ky has good and bad programs as does Ohio. We have some very dedicated coaches who have wrestled and trained all over the country and utilize the best concepts from all over.

I agree Ohio is a good state for wrestling, but KY can, does and has had good wrestlers too!

the biggest advantage Oh has is sheer numbers. they have youth leagues all over the state that have thousands of wrestlers in them www.cyw.org (cincinnati youth wrestling league). last i heard, this league has between 2-3000 wrestlers, some of them starting in the first grade. when you have a team like lakota that can fill their varsity lineup with juniors & seniors most of them with 7+ years wrestling experience...year in and year out...then look at that all across the state of Oh, of course they are better overall than us.

But occassionally we have guys who can beat or at least hang with their state champs. good athletes in the right programs here (ruschelle, shearer, starks, murtons) these guys could hang or beat some of Ohio's state champs - IMHO.

Sheer numbers and the popularity of the sport are key. Here you may have a child that will wrestle during the season and go to 4 or 5 tournaments a summer and practice 1 time a week during the summer. That would be considered very active in KY and if the child started in the first grade and did this every year then they would indeed be very experienced by the time they reached High School. I read somewhere one time that in Indiana (not to mention OH or other big wrestling states) that it was common for Elementary age kids to wrestle a big tournament just about every weekend of the year and go to 2 or 3 dual meets a week! Take that same child wrestling from the 1st grade to High School and there's your big difference in experience.

I think a big tournament and 2-3 duals a week year round is stretching it a little, thats like the kid who practiced in his sleep, sounds like an urban legend, wrestling style, haha!

I dont there are any tourneys in IN or Ohio right now.

I cant think of any until Fall TofC in Oct.

If you know of any please let us know, we would like to go.

My whole point about this thing isnt what state you are from. plee's comments are exactly right. In other states kids start at the elementry school age and belong to clubs. These clubs practice two or three nights a week and go to a tournament EVERY weekend from October all the way thru till the T.O.F.C .. By the time these kids get to the middle school age they have had countless hours of mat time , drilling and live wrestling. I want Ky to be able to compete with other states but we have to increase the numbers of kids and schools that are involved in the sport.

I think a big tournament and 2-3 duals a week year round is stretching it a little' date=' thats like the kid who practiced in his sleep, sounds like an urban legend, wrestling style, haha!

I dont there are any tourneys in IN or Ohio right now.

I cant think of any until Fall TofC in Oct.

If you know of any please let us know, we would like to go.[/quote']

I read it on the internet, so it has to be true. :D