wrestler4life

Any Divison 1 Prospects

There was this old forum,people had said there was no D-1 material in Kentucky that could hang with Ohio D-1 so I'm guessing there isnt any if they thought that about this year......

But I think there are some D-1 material this year,alot graduated

But Dale Stone

Richard Starks

Taylor Sherer

Jacob Murton

maybe Derek Scott and Joey Sanders

I would love to see Rusty Parks develop on the college level anywhere tho!

Kyle Ruschell, Ryle - Wisconsin

Jarius Murton, Lawrence County, going to Campbellsville U was listed in the Intermat top 100 prospects. I think that should qualify him as DI material.

Jordan Lewis, Ballard - Campbellsville U. I think he had some DI options.

Did I miss someone?

Marcus Bradbury with alittle more training he's at Cumberland College Wrestling

Robert Smith who has just been recruited by Campbellsville Wrestling,has some material and had options open I heard

Max Ervin-if he wouldve tried

Neil Cooper

If Starks is D1 material, then there's a couple other guys from this year that are. He didn't run away with state, he did win it though of course. Wenninger and Robinson wrestled him close in the quarters and semis (5-2, 4-2). And Kevin Orth had beaten Robinson as well at regions, he just didn't look to be at his best against Starks in the finals. Of course wrestling a very good wrestler under that pressure can do that to you.

I don't know he was a heads and shoulders above everyone else last year, but he got the job done.

Now, now. Let's go over his resume....he will be a three time state champ, runner-up as a freshman. Probably only lost 3 or 4 times in state his whole career. I don't think any last year. Not to mention he weighed around 180 last year, going 189 to help his team.....next year he will be a true 189.

If that resume is not D-1 material, then not many is in this state is. Love him or hate him, he just wins. And that's the name of the game.

I didn't say he wasn't, i said if he was, the other guys were. And state was no fluke, Robinson only lost to him by one another time earlier in the year.

Its a nice resume, something to be proud of. Not Murton level, but impressive. I heard Starks got stomped and then pinned in some Ohio meet. Murton wouldn't have had that happen.

I neither love or hate Starks. I don't know him.

I think a number of seniors this year could be D1 prospects.

But to really get the interest of D1 schools they need to be placing at some of the bigger out o season tournaments. The big difference between D1 and other divisions in the case of Kentucky wrestlers is out of season results. I dont think many KY kids are being recruited by D1 based on their high school career. I think it has more to do with how they fare at some of the big national tournaments, NHSCA and USAW Nationals.

Your exactly right eville dad. If any of these prospects want D 1 scholarships they will have to wrestle and place high in national tournaments. Colleges want to see what these guys can do against national talent.

Yep, i completely agree. Look at Ruschelle, he did well at 'Beast of the East' and Senior nationals and look at what happened. He got his ride to a big time school. He was only a two time champion as well, so that lends credibility to you guys saying being a 3 or 4 timer isn't the only deciding factor in the minds of D1 recruiters.

Your in state resume is nice, however there's gonna be plenty of other animals out there from other states with similar credentials. How do you differentiate yourself from them, also when you come from a state that doesn't get alot of respect at a national level ? You have to put up against them too.

And i'm not saying whether that lack of respect is fair or not, i'm just saying a bias probably exists and i don't necessarily share that view.

I agree with you guys about wrestling out of state to differentiate yourself. You also have to consider that there are no D-1 schools in our state that have wrestling programs. So anyone going D-1 from our state has to be that much better, since it will take more scholarship money for schools to recruit out of state kids.

I think Starks is a winner, period. I watched his finals match at state and I believe that was his A-game. He seemed to be wrestling more relaxed in the finals than he did the whole tournament. If he had been like that since the first round, none of those other guys would have hung with him.....IMHO. He has to feel the weight of the world on his shoulders:

1) top program in the state (as much as it pains me to admit it)

2) top wrestler on the top program

3) wrestling for an individual title & team title....

Also, I thought he looked like a small 189 lber last year. He also looked smallish for a 189 lber at the BGSG....if it's true that he weighed 180 last year, he's a certified beast!

He and a couple of other WC guys are unlike other wrestlers ive seen as that the longer the match goes, the more energy they get , not tiring out but just building up.

I can write that match Starks had where he got pinned in Ohio off as being small for a 189 pounder. I didn't see the match or know who the guy was. But, i've seen one of the top Ohio 189's wrestle, that guy was a monster !!! I mean seriously, he had to have worn a rubber suit to make weight (i don't know that, just talking it up) ... that guy was a jacked up freak !

So i can see the size maybe doing him in over there, but if he bulks up some more it would be interesting.

lets just face it, with the exception of murton there are no other division 1 prospects in kentucky, not even division 2 for that matter... You can talk up starks all you want but let me remind you something... Does anyone remember brad cooper?? 3x state champ, runner up... similar to starks but clearly more dominating and where did he end up???? Some one tell me please??? I think it was cumberland a NAIA school.... So unless starks and shearer dominate at senior nationals they will not get any division 1 or 2 offers and thats just the way it is cause a HASBEEN SAID SO!

:twisted: just cause brad cooper ended up at a naia school doesnt mean anything that was his decision. Also did you forget about taylor Sherer. he is definatly a division 1 wrestler.

With the exception of maybe basketball kentucky sports arent given enought respect throughout the country cause the competition level isnt as high here as it is in states bordering us... Starks, and shearer are very good in KENTUCKY! but that kentucky... Shearer went 1-2 i believe in junior nationals ( thats hearsay, so dont come down hard on me) and that didnt even showcase the best juniors out there cause it was a new tournament, and you guys say hes a division 1 prospect?? Hes a great wrestler, way better than i ever was but he and starks just wont cut it at that competitive of a level... I would love to be wrong and see those guys wrestle for ISU or OSU, but it aint going to happen.. Now back to brad cooper, clearly with him, knable, ruschell and the murtons they are the best to have hit kentucky in the past 6 or 7 years... And two of the four are going to NAIA colleges, ruschell is wrestling in wisconsin due to his stealar performance at senior nationals and with out that he might not have gone to a division 2 or 3 school, and knable went to IU who's team has been near the bottem in the big 10 for 10 years now!

Starks i feel peaked early, thus allowing him the chance to win 3 state titles... But skill wise, and dominating wise he's nowhere close to what cooper or murton was and both going to smaller schools. and thats just the way it is cause a HASBEEN SAID SO!

hasbeen - you can't compare skill levels of a 189 lber and a 135 lber....lighter weights will almost always have more flash and finesse....starks is 1 heck of a good wrestler....if he wants to be D1, he needs to do well at Sr nationals or some other big national tournament and he'll have D1 opportunities, i believe he can....

as for cooper, if he had grown up in Ohio, he would have been D1 no doubt...not because he would have been a better wrestler, maybe he would have, maybe he wouldn't have...but because he would not have been considered out of state....there are no D1 schools in Ky with wrestling programs compared to Ohio who probably has 5 or 6 programs. So a Kentucky kid will always have to be exceptionally good such as Ruschell to get serious D1 looks since they will always have to pay out of state tuition.

Guest DAWG6

pioneer_pride,

I Agree, plus our kids have to go wrestle the Beast of the East, Fargo's, Junior and Senior Nationals [placing] to get the D-1 exposure.

Just winning the KY state Championship isn't going to get them anywhere :roll:

Just a thought.

pioneer_pride' date='

I Agree, plus our kids have to go wrestle the Beast of the East, Fargo's, Junior and Senior Nationals [b'][placing] to get the D-1 exposure.

Just winning the KY state Championship isn't going to get them anywhere :roll:

Just a thought.

Yeah you could be a 4 time state champ here, but if you do horrible at those tournaments you won't even have a chance at a scholarship..

This is how i look at it. In kentucky, we have ALOT of good athletes and alot of GOOD wrestlers and of course there are always going to be the 5 or 10 percent that are just that much better than everyone else. This is what starks and just about every other one of your "D1" prospects minus murton.

Also who cares if they were underweight im sure they know that and if they use it as an excuse thats thier problem. But Starks is an outstanding wrestler in my eyes in kentucky but I dont for see him being as sucessful as rucshell. just a piece of my brain.

I believe if given the opportunity at d1 some kentucky wrestlers could excell .When faced with great competion in the practice room ,with great coaching they would improve drastically.KENTUCKY would catch up fast.