Sign in to follow this  
Who-Want-It!

Who was the best wrestler to not win a state title????

past wrestlers...Anthony Smith hands down...current year...Daniel Theuman(think i spelled that wrong)..he def should have beat courtney

Just to throw a few more names out there for discussion:

Andre Gray Hoptown('93?) RIP -runner-up, 2time placer

Marc Barrett Campbell Co.('91) 3rd--couldn't beat Chris Goss

Glenn Gray Campbell Co.'(91) 2x 3rd placer

Doug Frederick Trinity('89) runner-up

Scott Wheeler Larue Co. ('07) 3rd-- I always thought he would get one.

Will Fischer Trinity('99)3rd and runner-up

Just to throw a few more names out there for discussion:

Andre Gray Hoptown('93?) RIP -runner-up, 2time placer

Marc Barrett Campbell Co.('91) 3rd--couldn't beat Chris Goss

Glenn Gray Campbell Co.'(91) 2x 3rd placer

Doug Frederick Trinity('89) runner-up

Scott Wheeler Larue Co. ('07) 3rd-- I always thought he would get one.

Will Fischer Trinity('99)3rd and runner-up

Those are some great ones.  And while you are mentioning those early '90s camels, how about Brian Hines.

The main name that comes to mind is Anthony Smith from Christian County.  I wrestled for Union County and beside smith at Christian County for one season. 

I cant believe he lost to Whitfield in the finals in 99, I believe.  I wrestled Whitfield in the state tournament my freshman year, and was defeated 5-4.

Smith had a mean shot that was just relentless.  He shot like 20 times a match.  I should know I wrestled against him when I was a freshman and he was a sophomore and it was not that pretty.

Other than him I can not think of a real dominating wrestler that failed to win at least one state title.

I would say that three of the best never to win all came from this years senior class.  Banks,Cooper, and Thuenamen.  You could also throw Carr from Union county in there. 

Banks 2x runner up-  Had Courtney beat junior year and let it slip away, Favorite his senior year and loses to Ervin.  I believe he also beat the #1 ranked guy his sophmore year at state(Bankemper)

Cooper 2x runner up-  Made finals as an 8th grader.  Had Wolfsifier beat only to let it slip away as well.  Dominated all senior year just to get hurt before state.

Theunamen- 3x 3rd place I believe.  Lost to the eventual state champ (Scott, Powers, Courtney) all 3 years.  Two whom he had beat in the season (Scott, Powers)  Lost in what I believe was the best match at state last year in overtime to Courtney.

Carr 2x runner up- Lost to sullivan 2 years in a row in 103 finals.  Got upsetted by a then  unknown D.C evans last year.

I think these 4, especially the first 3 have to be some of the best never to win it.

Those are some great ones.  And while you are mentioning those early '90s camels, how about Brian Hines.

Ranger, I forgot about B.Hines and I even spoke with him not too long ago(2yrs) at Brandon Wilkens wedding.I would've put RickTurner down also, but didn't want to sound too biased(He was my finals opponent :lol:).

I was wondering if you would say Rick Turner. 

Considering he defeated Robinson in the region his Jr. year. And had defeated you I believe every time except the final one in all the years you two wrestled.  :-D

Probably never tried to ride the legs his whole career until the state finals his senior year. :roll:  Go Figure  :-D

I have no problem saying I was 1-3 against him and can't help it he chose to throw the legs in.

How about this:

He pinned Soph. year

Beginning of junior yr. he won 11-8

For 3rd junior yr. he won 2-1 

Finals senior yr. I won 15-4

I'm alright with how it turned out.  :-D

I think maybe it was that Trinity education. You suckered him into thinking he was going to win and pulled out the big guns when it counted.

He was too one dimensional.  Was a beast in strenght and had a devistating double leg but nothing else.  You were the better all around wrestler.

I was not trying to say anything but that you may be one of the few who put him in this catagory.

The expressions of you and Mike in the chairs is absolutely priceless. Legs? Legs? What the H???? is he doing?

CoachBrown shows a great lesson here about how things can happen at the big dance.