Sign in to follow this  
overweight

Unranked and Kids Ranked Low That Placed

Colin Garner (KCD 12) was unranked all year at 171 in both the coaches' and ranger rankings, but was top 10 in the state this year, losing only to the 4th and 7th place medalists.

Evans, not ranked at all - placing 2nd.

Shawn Johnson, fresh @ Lafayette, ranked lower than I felt he should be, and first year wrestler placing 5th at state... :)

Well i would have to go with the Whitley kid that was not ranked and made it to the finals

If you are referring to Rangers rankings then he was ranked.

on Feb 11th Ranger had Evans ranked 11th

on Feb. 13th final ranking Evans was ranked 5th.

matt bergamini 7th place 171 no one on St.X's team even though he would place. he wasnt even ranked high that high.

big ups to matt

The 171 from Whitley County that finished 2nd was Jaron Singley. Ranger had him ranked about 13th.  He made it to the finals and on his way defeated the coaches association poll #8 Joe Collin of Central Hardin and #4 Curt Martin of Caldwell County in triple overtime before losing to #1 ranked Mason Reid of Ryle.  This kid had a 34-3 record going into the State and had only been beaten by Likoy of Dunbar, Benson of Dixie Heights and Pitcher of John Hardin.

Evans, not ranked at all - placing 2nd.

Shawn Johnson, fresh @ Lafayette, ranked lower than I felt he should be, and first year wrestler placing 5th at state... :)

i agree this was a strong showing by shawn johnson...what a job for a first year wrestler losing only to elliot martin 7-0 and tommy warren 5-1 i believe...going into the tournament he was ranked 15th

I've always thought we do a disservice to the wrestlers when we talk about a wrestler that can't be beat. The first time I noticed was when everyone said Jacob Murton couldn't be beat. And as long as he was around KHSAA wrestling he wasn't but I still think he could have been.

This year I recall a few weeks ago on this forum people said a certain wrestler couldn't be beat by anyone in his region and especially anyone that had as little technique as Justin Davis from Eastern HS. While Justin does have a lot to learn he ended up placing 4th in state and beat some very good wrestlers that probably all took him for granted. BIG MISTAKE

I'm glad Justin Davis and others paid no attention to the rankings or the banter on Kentucky Wrestling. I allowed the opinions and rankings to make me think he couldn't make it as far as he did. I hope our wrestlers learn from this years upsets that just because someone is ranked doesn't mean they can't be beat. To me there's no better sight than the happiness on a kids face that accomplished something they weren't supposed to be good enough to do. Bear Bryant used to always say he liked to take ordinary players and make them think they were great! That's what I would love to see here with Kentucky's high school wrestlers.

i agree this was a strong showing by shawn johnson...what a job for a first year wrestler losing only to elliot martin 7-0 and tommy warren 5-1 i believe...going into the tournament he was ranked 15th

yes i agree. Shawn Johnson has the potential for a first year wrestler to really make a run for a state title.

There is no wrestler out there that can't be beat. rankings don't mean anything, it's all on who wants it more. everyone can be beat, everyone has an off day, and everyone has an on day. as long as that keeps happening, anyone can be beat. heart has alot to do with wrestling, anyone with a big enough heart, and a big enough will can beat anyone they set out to beat.

i agree tc125 anyone can be beat. As long has you keep your head in winning, and not losing you can beat anyone.

keeping your composure during a bad situation wins matches too, the thunamen courtney match is a perfect example. most people would have panicked when thunament hit that perfect shot, but courtney didn't and he ended up with the end. thats the sign of a champion.

How about that performance Paul Marks put on at state, he showed alot of heart.

Paul Marks shocked even his own team, Eastern. We have not seen a performance like that from him all year and it's good that he put it together his senior year at state. He managed to place one higher than he did last year and in his last match ever beat Zeppa, who beat him at the dragon and at regionals.

What about Arthur Ohmes from Meade County?  He went 2-2. His two losses were to the number #2 and the number #5 placers at state. Oh buy the way he's from a first year team.

What about Arthur Ohmes from Meade County?  He went 2-2. His two losses were to the number #2 and the number #5 placers at state. Oh buy the way he's from a first year team.

arthur ohmes is NOT a first year wrestler