Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com 2022-23 Season Rankings - Feb 20

Final rankings of the year heading into State Final round.  This is not a list of who is left or a prediction of finish (doesn't consider the bracket).  Over the next few days I will be working on the write-up and predictions.

Only comments I will add from the weekend...

- Semi-state in a HS gym (even large gyms) is painful; a great, competitive event with some awesome matches, but not a fun experience

- Johnson Central has a great team with great kids beyond wrestling

Rankings_22_23_0220.pdf

4 minutes ago, Matguy123 said:

Ranger! Love the rankings you do a great job. Just curious on how badida is ranked 9th when he is 2-0 against madden brown and 1-0 against del santos and pinned koller and is also 1-0 against him and 1-1 against Phillips 

It's more of a momentum thing.  Lost most recent to Phillips and his loss to East pulls him down.  Brown had a great semi-state with a couple top 10 wins.

It was unfortunate what transpired with Hunter Pogue this past weekend, whether warranted or not is for another blog. This young man worked very hard to rise to sixth in the rankings, I can’t imagine him dropping completely out. 

17 minutes ago, Matguy123 said:

Understandable so head to head has nothing to do with it then? 

Oh they do.  But you can't just ignore the current trend.  All of these forfeits make it really hard as well.  I know some kids are banged up, but it makes it really hard to reflect what is happening in the results.

9 minutes ago, ClamChowder said:

It was unfortunate what transpired with Hunter Pogue this past weekend, whether warranted or not is for another blog. This young man worked very hard to rise to sixth in the rankings, I can’t imagine him dropping completely out. 

Couple things.  He did have a great run late in the year and it is terrible what it sounds like happened to him, but these rankings won't do anything to fix that.  It does bring up a good consideration though as to my process.  In general when a kid isn't in a post season bracket I remove them, but when kids simply don't advance I let them fall wherever they fall in the rankings.  That isn't exactly consistent and I should give it some thought.  I also treat seniors differently knowing they won't be back, but I don't want to skew where the younger guys are in the rankings as I prepare for next season.

11 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Couple things.  He did have a great run late in the year and it is terrible what it sounds like happened to him, but these rankings won't do anything to fix that.  It does bring up a good consideration though as to my process.  In general when a kid isn't in a post season bracket I remove them, but when kids simply don't advance I let them fall wherever they fall in the rankings.  That isn't exactly consistent and I should give it some thought.  I also treat seniors differently knowing they won't be back, but I don't want to skew where the younger guys are in the rankings as I prepare for next season.

Thanks for the reply. It’s been my experience that you can, with very few exceptions, take your rankings to the bank, and your work is appreciated. I’m sure there’s no replacing the podium, but a year’s end ranking could mean something. But again, this was an unusual situation. Thanks again.

8 minutes ago, pin4thewin said:

Wow! For a more heavier light weight, 126 has 4 freshman in the top 5. It’s great to see some younger kids beating upperclassmen.

That class (2026) in general is looking very tough across a lot of weights.

28 minutes ago, pin4thewin said:

Wow! For a more heavier light weight, 126 has 4 freshman in the top 5. It’s great to see some younger kids beating upperclassmen.

Last years middle school champs are in the mix this year. Blevins, Brown, Heady, Raneys, Wilson, Matney, and Lewis. 

6 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

Final rankings of the year heading into State Final round.  This is not a list of who is left or a prediction of finish (doesn't consider the bracket).  Over the next few days I will be working on the write-up and predictions.

- Semi-state in a HS gym (even large gyms) is painful; a great, competitive event with some awesome matches, but not a fun experience

Rankings_22_23_0220.pdf

Thanks Ranger for the time and  work you put into the rankings. Also thanks for the kind words for JC kids we try to raise them right. 

3 minutes ago, BeastMode23 said:

Thanks Ranger for the time and  work you put into the rankings. Also thanks for the kind words for JC kids we try to raise them right. 

There a few teams that I feel like have some great coaches and great kids.  But this weekend it really stood out in an overcrowded gym in a highly competitive environment.  Not unexpected, but very noteworthy.

6 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

Rankings_22_23_0220.pdf

Ranger, I too want to thank you for pointing out what great kids we have at JC. Of course we are bias and think our kids our amazing but for others to see it as well really says a lot about their character and sportsmanship. We sure are proud of them!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Whole heartedly agree with the space constraints in the HS gym for a tournament of this magnitude (both sides). I'm relatively new to the area. I haven't seen any other states have their state tournament in a HS gym, so it was a bit strange. 

I wasn't able to make Semi-State-1, but in the 132 & 138 brackets, is there any information on the Whorton or Frazier injuries or if those injuries will impact them this week? I think those were the only two that I saw injuries for when looking at the finals matches. I hate to see injuries hit anybody this type of year. 

9 hours ago, Region1kyguy said:

Will we see a ranger report this week?

Oh yeah.  I haven't been to a state tournament on adequate sleep in over a decade.  Why start now?

On 2/20/2023 at 2:58 PM, ClamChowder said:

He is a great young man. He was devastated when he was not allowed to wrestle. There should be another level or another doctor to review the decision.