Sign in to follow this  
DrBaker

Not looking forward to state.

5 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

And just how far do you think that 3.2 billion gets them? 

Million. But in 2015. I could google this but I am too lazy. Was that before or after their lawsuit with basketball and the transfers? 

2 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

And just how far do you think that 3.2 million gets them? 

Again it’s a NON PROFIT ORGANIZATION!

$3.2m should squeeze out an arena for wrestling not a High School.

From the news released yesterday expect to see the state tournament back at the Horse Park next winter. I would assume girls' one day and boys' the next two days; likely a Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Let's hope we are back to a 32-man bracket. I'm sure that proposal is going to go out to the voting delegates. The best thing wrestling coaches can do is if they want to return to a 32-man bracket without a semi-state would be talk to your designated representative. In most cases that is the AD, but in some schools it is the principal. You can find that information below by clicking on your school name. 

https://khsaa.org/general/resources/member-school-directory/

Quote from Linknky:

Connor Link, KHSAA Media Relations and Public Relations Director, released a statement Tuesday on behalf of KHSAA Commissioner Julian Tackett.

“Many municipal facilities were shut down during the pandemic and not booking outside groups,” Tackett wrote. “Because of that, combined with some past problems on how our team representatives treated facilities that we were using, there were minimal options when setting up for post-pandemic events. We are extremely grateful that GRC made its multi-million dollar facility, likely one of the nicest facilities in the state, available for our regular use. The facilities are set for 2023 and we look forward to an outstanding event.”

Tackett also wrote that many facilities, particularly those on college campuses, were not built for the KHSAA’s use, but for their students. “Each facility we have used has had pros and cons, and we continue to be very appreciative of those willing to host. Given the way many of our hosts are treated by some of those attending, we are fortunate to have options.”

Wrestling is one of five sports contested at high school venues. The others: Volleyball at GRC; field hockey at Christian Academy-Louisville and boys and girls soccer at Frederick Douglass.

What this tells me is that they can't find an arena to host this sport because we're disrespectful of the venue and dirty. My suggestion, everyone clean GRC so that it is spotless this weekend. Grab a mop, broom, window cleaner...whatever it takes to show Mr Tackett and crew that is just not true.

I wonder if there would be a Title IX issue with having girls as 16 bracket and boys at 32 bracket now that both are sanctioned.  Probably could for the first few years use the participation level % to get around it but it could be an issue. 

Im also wondering what the Horse Park charge is now to put down that floor, I know what it was the last year there.      

On 2/21/2023 at 1:17 AM, jackburg17 said:

So Apparently I’m signed under my kids name, however he’s not as smart as me so don’t be mistaken :). I’m the level 10 crazy mom who started the petition and has been pretty vocal on social media in this matter so I felt I had to respond. I have also emailed and discussed matters with Mr Joe Angolia with KHSAA as well. Despite popular belief I generally do try to do my research and think thru other perspectives before I run my mouth (unless it’s in the heat of my kid wrestling). With that being said, I have looked at the expense reports from May 2022 and I’m interested in seeing what these numbers will be come May 2023 now that even more Covid restrictions are THANKFULLY not in our way. Below you will find the amount on the right is the profit obtained from wrestling; The amount on the left is the expenses. It seems KHSAA paid GRC just a pinch over $2500 for their facilities. In summary… it appears that KHSAA profited just shy of $35,000 from wrestling. Is that basketball and football numbers? No… of course not. We are not ignorant in that (even if we do all agree that wrestling is better than basketball). I also understand that they have to profit something. I don’t expect KHSAA to take a loss. And to answer someone’s statement above, I would absolutely spend more money on tickets in exchange for actual seats because 1 weekend is essentially cheaper than 2. On families personally and programs primarily. We must be realistic in what we ask for. And Rupp and Yum, is honestly not realistic. But I do think there could be a happy median away from GRC and Corbin doesn’t seem like too bad of a choice in that. Being it is right off the interstate, there are hotels within Corbin and neighboring London, along with ample food choices. Looking at the expense report for the price of awards, I find that to be a little disheartening myself. In past, our program didn’t spend much less then that in medals and awards for our own tournaments, and here this is the “Big Show”?? 

KHSAA has a board of control meeting on Wednesday night… and I would love to be there! But I’m assuming they don’t allow “outsiders” nor have an open forum. If I find out otherwise, I WILL be there. Until then… please keep sharing the petition until they feel they MUST make changes. Ask my husband, I’m obnoxiously tenacious and I’m not stopping. 

14428655-F90A-4D9B-9D44-F078F2396346.jpeg

You mam are the true hero here for these kids. I signed and continue to share. Thank you!!!

• Like 1

I posted this a few years back in a forum and found the picture again (albeit a small picture LOL.) 

For the old timers that remember Frankfort and the Dungeon. 

Not a "get off my lawn" post at all, but this was by far the best setup for state...........loved every minute of it. 

dungeon.jpg

6 hours ago, Granby said:

I posted this a few years back in a forum and found the picture again (albeit a small picture LOL.) 

Not a "get off my lawn" post at all, but this was by far the best setup for state...........loved every minute of it. 

dungeon.jpg

I agree the best atmosphere ever. 

However I take offense to the old timer statement.  I remember both wrestling and coaching at Atherton High school before The Dungeon :D

6 hours ago, Granby said:

dungeon.jpg

Absolutely awesome experience at the Dungeon.

Gotta love 244 wrestlers warming up on 2 mats. Another feather to put in KHSAA’s cap along with kicking out the only D1 coach in the state. I can’t imagine them doing that to Calipari at the sweet 16. 

6 hours ago, GentleBeard said:

Gotta love 244 wrestlers warming up on 2 mats. Another feather to put in KHSAA’s cap along with kicking out the only D1 coach in the state. I can’t imagine them doing that to Calipari at the sweet 16. 

Who did they kick out and why?

On 2/20/2023 at 1:23 PM, plantmanky1 said:

Yum Center  $35K a day to rent

Rupp Arena $30K a day to rent

Diddle $20K a day to rent

All three have basketball conflicts as well so It would be a juggling act. but trust me, cant happen at these three, cost way to much. 

The cost of any of these arenas should be drastically reduced for KHSAA as they are all part of State Funded Educational Institutions.  To be even more pointed, KHSAA has Rupp Arena for the KY High School Basketball championship Sweet 16 scheduled for 4 days. Wrestling doesn't require 4 consecutive days, so cost shouldn't be legitimate reason to deny the venue.

1 hour ago, JKennedy said:

The cost of any of these arenas should be drastically reduced for KHSAA as they are all part of State Funded Educational Institutions.  To be even more pointed, KHSAA has Rupp Arena for the KY High School Basketball championship Sweet 16 scheduled for 4 days. Wrestling doesn't require 4 consecutive days, so cost shouldn't be legitimate reason to deny the venue.

Remember, the Sweet 16 generates over $1 million in ticket sales. UK Healthcare is also a sponsor which probably offsets a significant chunk of the total price.you really can’t compare the sweet 16 to any other state championship in KY….it is the cash cow and supports many of the other sports.

9 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

Remember, the Sweet 16 generates over $1 million in ticket sales. UK Healthcare is also a sponsor which probably offsets a significant chunk of the total price.you really can’t compare the sweet 16 to any other state championship in KY….it is the cash cow and supports many of the other sports.

It seems the sponsorships have gone down in Wrestling. I remember years ago they would sell sponsorships on top of each scoreboard. At $200 a side that would have been an easy extra $2400. I am sure they could sell them for even more. Seems like there could be more sponsorship opportunities it an arena to help offset those costs. I know we are in a digital age but do they even sell programs any more? That was a huge money grab. Every parent would buy one because their kids names were in it

22 hours ago, JKennedy said:

Yum center and Rupp arena are not part of the Universities. They are private enterprise.    Diddle is part of WKU.